electric mobility scooters

stanlen

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 07:58 am
I am planning to buy an electric scooter for my Dad who is unable to walk long distances without pain. He is a retired Air Line Pilot and this would help him regain his independance. Any suggestions? Any body with any experiences of these scooters?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,278 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 08:01 am
I had to use one twice in my lifetime now when I'd go into stores to shop for groceries or whatnot. Once after surgery and once when I sprained my ankle. I haven't had to use them all the time and I didn't particularily like the looks I got from people but all in all, I think they are pretty nice to have when you can't walk. It depends on who you are and how you feel about them. I know people who were "embarrassed" to be seen on one. I wasn't at all.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 10:04 am
Re: electric mobility scooters
stanlen wrote:
I am planning to buy an electric scooter for my Dad who is unable to walk long distances without pain. He is a retired Air Line Pilot and this would help him regain his independance. Any suggestions? Any body with any experiences of these scooters?

At age 76 now, I've used electric scooters since 1985 due to an injury when I was 36. I've had the usual big scooters and they are fine except they don't help you move around when you drive to a destination. My large one worked well for me when I rode it to my office 1/4 miles from my home.

What I did to solve that problem was to buy a small light weight scooter. The best ones come apart in pieces light enough for an older person to lift from the car's trunk.

My scooter can come apart, but I chose to have an electric lift installed inside my car trunk. When I want to take my scooter with me, I lift it into my trunk and when I reach my destination, the lift removes the scooter and sets it on the ground. The smaller scooter is easier to move around inside all kinds of buildings, including homes. Some of the new scooters fold up enough so that they can be put in the trunk or even in the rear seat of a car. Check them out to see if they will work for you.

Check the want ads in your local news paper under medical supplies. You may be able to buy a used scooter for a lot less money. Just be sure to check on the state of the batteries as they are the most expensive maintenance of electric scooters.

Be sure to measure the interior of your car's trunk to be sure the scooter will fit inside with the lid closed. The lift should also fit inside. I can still get access to my spare tire even with the lift installation.

I have much more mobility with my small scooter than I had before. I can go anywhere and be mobile at my destination.

Your dad may not need the lift if he is strong enough to lift the scooter parts. I wanted the lift because, while I could lift the parts now, I knew at age 76, I would not always be able to do that.

I like the lift inside my car trunk better than a list attached to the rear of my car. It doesn't impede access to my car trunk, doesn't require longer parking spaces, and doesn't show to avoid theft. It costs a little more, but is worth it.

Another thing I like is that I don't have to carry my scooter in my trunk all the time, which is important for less weight with high gas prices. It also frees up my trunk space for carrying things. The only thing that is permanently installed in my trunk is the lift, which comes apart so that I can load up my trunk with groceries, etc.

Hope this information helps you to make a wise decision and that costs you less.

BBB
0 Replies

stanlen

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 07:03 am
mobility scooter
Thank you for your prompt and thoughtful reply

I am going to buy him a light weight easily transportable scooter....it will come in very handy as he does a lot of recreational flying and will serve him well on the ground wherever he visits.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 07:30 am
All I can say is that for me being unable to walk without great pain and the the constant fear of falling the electric scooter has been a God send.
0 Replies