Intelligent Design Theory Solution

thunder runner32

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 07:27 am
Is there any real functional worth to evolution? If not, then why not just teach both?

Quote:
there's not such thing as gravity, it's now called intelligent falling

That is a poor attack at creationists...
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 07:40 am
thunder_runner32 wrote:
Is there any real functional worth to evolution?

Yes. Our ability to prediict and possibly forestall the next pandemic (
Article) is almost entirely due to our knowledge of evolution and biological change.

thunder_runner32 wrote:
... why not just teach both?

Because the process of science has value, as demonstrated by the very existance of our present civilization. So it's important to teach the process of science clearly and accurately so that we can continue to make cultural progress, prevent pandemics (before it's too late), and increase food production for the swelling population.

Our future as a civilization, and our very lives depend on understanding evolution. It's too important a concept to corrupt with misleading pseudo-science like ID.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 07:42 am
thunder_runner32 wrote:
Is there any real functional worth to evolution? If not, then why not just teach both?

Quote:
there's not such thing as gravity, it's now called intelligent falling

That is a poor attack at creationists...

Absolutely, but then it's difficult to reach down to the reasoning capacity of religionists.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 07:47 am
Explain how macro-evolution has anything to do with predictions of pandemics. Biological change yes, but this is only micro-evolution.

Quote:
Because the process of science has value, as demonstrated by the very existance of our present civilization. So it's important to teach the process of science clearly and accurately so that we can continue to make cultural progress, prevent pandemics (before it's too late), and increase food production for the swelling population.

Science that we can use to advance is functional, I'm just not clear on how you think that guesses about our past can be functional.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 07:51 am
Quote:
Absolutely, but then it's difficult to reach down to the reasoning capacity of religionists.

Religion has nothing to do with it..........THERE ARE SCIENTISTS WHO HAVE COME TO THE CONCLUSION THAT RANDOM NATURAL PROCESSES CANNOT EXPLAIN OUR EXISTENCE.......SCIENCE........NOT RELIGION
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 07:58 am
thunder_runner32 wrote:
Quote:

Religion has nothing to do with it..........THERE ARE SCIENTISTS WHO HAVE COME TO THE CONCLUSION THAT RANDOM NATURAL PROCESSES CANNOT EXPLAIN OUR EXISTENCE.......SCIENCE........NOT RELIGION

Religion has EVERYTHING to do with it and yes there are scientists who partake in religion, there are also tall people and fat people and red headed people who are religionists does that mean something?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 08:02 am
thunder_runner32 wrote:
Science that we can use to advance is functional, I'm just not clear on how you think that guesses about our past can be functional.

They are not guesses.

Knowledge of our past tells us how life functions, which predicts future events. Predictive capacity is one of the testible aspects of scientific theory, and in the case of evolution, all predictions so far have tested true, repeatedly validating the theory.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 08:06 am
thunder_runner32 wrote:
Quote:

Do you even know the point that you are arguing? Evolution does not try to explain the origin of life, the origin of the Earth, or the orgin of the universe. Evolution describes the process by which species change over time.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 08:07 am
thunder_runner32 wrote:
THERE ARE SCIENTISTS WHO HAVE COME TO THE CONCLUSION THAT RANDOM NATURAL PROCESSES CANNOT EXPLAIN OUR EXISTENCE

So you believe those scientists, but you don't believe the vast majority of scientists who have come to the opposite conclusion. I wonder why?
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 08:08 am
thunder_runner32 wrote:

Perfectly reasonable. Teach ID in philosophy/current affairs and teach evolution in science.

And no I'm not being stupidly flippant. I'm serious. ID is definitely a cultural issue and it should be acknowledged. But it shouldn't be confused with science.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 08:09 am
Here's why I find ID absurd. ID says, as I understand it, that all of the observations and inferences that have been made that have lead to evolution have not actually been made because there's a man behind a curtain making all of the changes and fooling us into believing in evolution.

WTF?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 08:10 am
goodfielder wrote:
And no I'm not being stupidly flippant. I'm serious. ID is definitely a cultural issue and it should be acknowledged. But it shouldn't be confused with science.

Correct. The debate between creation and evolution is a cultural phenomenon, not a scientific one.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 08:12 am
rosborne979 wrote:
real life wrote:
Your earlier post stated you felt I should try to convince you that this was worth your time.

Sorry, I didn't mean that you should *try* to convince me, rather that you *hadn't* convinced me (and probably couldn't). Your posts don't contain much scientific substance, and your recite standard creationist dogma which has been dealt with and dismissed many many times before.

*sigh*

Let's try this once more.

Hoyle was a committed evolutionist. Not a creationist. What are you afraid of?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 08:15 am
DrewDad wrote:
Here's why I find ID absurd. ID says, as I understand it, that all of the observations and inferences that have been made that have lead to evolution have not actually been made because there's a man behind a curtain making all of the changes and fooling us into believing in evolution.

WTF?

Inferences, yes. Observations of evolution taking place........ah, no.

Quote:
that have lead to evolution

You are attempting to prove your point by assuming your point has validity.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 08:18 am
DrewDad wrote:

WTF?

To me it's even worse than that. ID proceeds from the false assumption that variation and natural selection are insufficient to explain biological life, and then builds on that false assumption to conclude that a "designer" is the only remaining possibility to satisfy the false assumption.

The whole idea of ID is just so audaciously stupid that it's hard to even put into words.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 08:21 am
rosborne979 wrote:
thunder_runner32 wrote:
THERE ARE SCIENTISTS WHO HAVE COME TO THE CONCLUSION THAT RANDOM NATURAL PROCESSES CANNOT EXPLAIN OUR EXISTENCE

So you believe those scientists, but you don't believe the vast majority of scientists who have come to the opposite conclusion. I wonder why?

As Runner cited in another thread and you may have followed, he is referring to a survey of scientists in which 45% of those did NOT believe that naturalistic forces alone were sufficient to account for human origins. 55% did think so.

Now, no matter which side you tend to agree with both must acknowledge that these are significantly large percentages on either side.

The question is why do you have so much trouble admitting that this is a valid point of disagreement among scientists? Instead you continue to pretend that it is a settled issue that no serious scientist would dispute.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 08:32 am
real life wrote:
DrewDad wrote:

WTF?

Inferences, yes. Observations of evolution taking place........ah, no.

Quote:
that have lead to evolution

You are attempting to prove your point by assuming your point has validity.

Er...

I'm not trying to argue the validity of evolution. I'm trying to understand why, exactly, some find ID to be more persuasive than evolution. Insert "evolution theory" in place of "evolution" and see if it reads better to you.

Evolution theory says: we have this huge mass of data. We've looked at it, and we find that the best explanation we can derive is that species evolve.

ID theory says: you think you have a huge mass of data, but but I'm not convinced of evolution. Instead, I'll maintain a superstitous bellief that an invisible entity is causing what others perceive as evolution.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 08:33 am
My faith can support some form of initial creation. But not constant tweaking. I just can't take the view of God as a kid sitting next to an ant hill poking it with a stick occasionally.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 08:38 am
about the only argument that can be presented to support ID is the "first cause" argument, and it totally begs the question of "first cause."
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 08:39 am
DrewDad wrote:
My faith can support some form of initial creation. But not constant tweaking. I just can't take the view of God as a kid sitting next to an ant hill poking it with a stick occasionally.

I prefer Gary Larson's view of God, as a kid, in his room..... (admittedly you have to remember the cartoon to "get" this reference.. but on the off chance...)
0 Replies