Can an Employer Take Away Severance Pay at Any Time

Pep2000

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 12:32 pm
Hello,

I worked for a company for 9 years with a severance policy that stated that if I were layed off, I would get a week per year as severance. I was just layed off three days ago, and was only given 2 weeks severance. Here's what happened that allowed them to justify this. In preparation for these latest set of layoffs, the company passed around another updated copy of their employee handbook. We all had to sign off that we received it and read it. In it, they did NOT mention the topic of severance, but it was obvious from the exclusion that they did not want to commit themselves to paying out severance any longer. Five days later, they layed off a group of employees. I was included in that group. The company has been laying off people for a few years now because there has been a steady decline in revenue, but severance pay was always included as part of the termination package.

I have no doubt that what they did was unethical. However, is there any legal recourse I can take? I would appreciate any opinions and input in this matter.

Thanks
Pep2000
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,123 • Replies: 2
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 12:41 pm
You might be better off checking out Free Advice. You will need to supply your state.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 05:10 pm
Pep2000, I'm sorry I don't have any advice to offer. I just want to say, what your company did stinks.

Oh, wait. I do have some advice. Kick them in the ding dong!!
0 Replies