DESPERATE TIMES CALL FOR DESPERATE MEASURES

Setanta

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 11:11 am
I assert that the Right is becoming desperate. Their boy in the White House is revealed more and more to be something quite different than the apple pie, white bread hero who was fobbed off on a gullible public in two elections. Their lack of an effective policy for Iraq becomes more glaringly evident each day. The support for their dirty little war has eroded catastrophically and more people come to believe the casus belli was cobbled together from lies. Gasoline prices are through the roof, and oil company profits have increased in direct proportion--the victims are the citizens who never got more than a chump change tip from the tax cuts enacted for the Shrub's rich buddies. The economy remains sluggish, if not actually moribund.

So the Right is getting desperate, and they resort to desperate measures. Predictably, they accuse those who do not support the war and criticize the administration's failure to effectively manage the situation of being anti-American. A new twist is evident in many threads, now, as well. That is to accuse those who criticize the policies of the Israeli government of being anti-semitic.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. It sure smells like right-wing desperation to me . . . either than, or manure . . .

Editing note: Edited because Yitwail spells better than i do.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,003 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 11:13 am
or their breath.....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 11:18 am
Please, Bear, or BLT, or whatever . . .

I'm tryin' to have a frank yet civil discussion here . . . for a page or two, before i take the low road and start talkin' about their mommas . . .
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 11:22 am
hehehe
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 11:29 am
That must keep them awfully busy these days, what with the necessity of running around to identify all the traitors and anti-semites.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 11:36 am
Here is an interesting little problem for the Bush administration, given how they treat others whom they define as terrorists.

Venezuela to seek legal action against Robertson

By Matthew Robinson
CARACAS, Venezuela (Reuters) - Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez said on Sunday his government would take legal action against Pat Robertson and potentially seek his extradition after the UA.SA. evangelist called for Washington to assassinate the South American leader.

"I announce that my government is going to take legal action in the United States ... to call for the assassination of a head of state is an act of terrorism." Chavez said in a televised speech.

Link
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 11:40 am
Setanta wrote:
Please, Bear, or BLT, or whatever . . .

I'm tryin' to have a frank yet civil discussion here . . . for a page or two, before i take the low road and start talkin' about their mommas . . .

just tryin' to keep the conversation lively....
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 11:42 am
Then there is this other little problem which hasn't had to much press (yet)...

Quote:

Cuban exile militant Luis Posada Carriles, accused of terrorism against Cuba, goes before a U.S. immigration judge in El Paso today to plead for asylum, claiming that Fidel Castro is persecuting him.

In a second phase of the trial later this year, the U.S. government is expected to argue that Posada -- who has been accused, among other violent acts, of masterminding the 1976 bombing of a Cuban jetliner that killed 73 people -- must be denied asylum because immigration law prohibits it for suspects of terrorism and serious crimes.

The trial will spotlight one of the most controversial figures in the Cuban exile community: a patriot to some and a terrorist to others.

It also poses a dilemma for the Bush administration, which is generally sympathetic to South Florida's exile community, but must weigh the case within the context of the post-9/11 war on terrorism.

Link: Miami Herald
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 11:55 am
Re: DESPERATE TIMES CALL FOR DESPERATE MEASURES
Setanta wrote:
I assert that the Right is becoming desperate.

LOL! We've got several liberals on this very board admitting that if they were Texans they'd vote in as governor a former-addict member of a band called the 'Texas Jewboys' who writes mystery novels and sings about being 'High on Jesus', who would put religion (in the form of the Ten Commandments) and prayer (gasp) back in the schools and make Texas numero uno in US oil and gas exploration again (that oughtta tear up the landscape!) He'd also abolish 'political correctness'.

And you say we're desperate? LOL!
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 12:10 pm
what's bad about writing mystery novels? how are literary credentials relevant to fitness for office? besides, trying to bash somebody George W. Bush invited to the White House could be seen as desperation in some quarters.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 12:17 pm
I think it might just be manure rather than desperation. The right wing of the US political party is too arrogant to ever think they are in a desperate situation even if Bush approval rating go down to the single digits. They would just claim they never pay attention to poll numbers.

However, JW does have a point as much as I hate to admit it. No matter how much the country disapproves of the way Bush is handling his job and the republican controlled congress, they don't like democrats any better. I predict in 2006 we don't pick up any new seats. I think the country has just slid down into acceptance of having a bunch of loosers for leaders.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 12:21 pm
yitwail wrote:
what's bad about writing mystery novels? how are literary credentials relevant to fitness for office?

They can't hold a candle to the qualifications implicit in being a third-rate B-movie actor . . . what were you thinking ? ! ? ! ?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 12:32 pm
Setanta wrote:
yitwail wrote:
what's bad about writing mystery novels? how are literary credentials relevant to fitness for office?

They can't hold a candle to the qualifications implicit in being a third-rate B-movie actor . . . what were you thinking ? ! ? ! ?

Aw, crap, I was gonna say that!

It's ironic how the right wingers talked **** about how the left has no message, but now it seems that their message is basically, "Trust me, everything is going just wonderfully!" "No, really, two plus two does make five!", and "You're nothing but a goddamned Jew-hater!"

Although I admit, "Jew-hater" is quite pithy and would probably look good on a campaign button...
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 12:40 pm
yitwail wrote:
what's bad about writing mystery novels? how are literary credentials relevant to fitness for office? besides, trying to bash somebody George W. Bush invited to the White House could be seen as desperation in some quarters.

Who's bashing? That the left would actually approve of someone who will fight to get prayer back into schools shows me we're making good progress Smile

PS...Kinky would also make de-clawing of cats illegal and would put Willie Nelson in charge of the Texas Rangers (the real ones, I think...not the baseball players). Just so you know. Smile
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 12:51 pm
You're just jealous that he's not a Republican.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 12:52 pm
with all this bipartisan support, he must be a shoo-in. i don't think you should get your hopes up that school prayers will resume anytime soon, since it's probably unconstitutional, but faith moves mountains, right?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 12:55 pm
JustWonders wrote:
yitwail wrote:

Who's bashing? That the left would actually approve of someone who will fight to get prayer back into schools shows me we're making good progress Smile

PS...Kinky would also make de-clawing of cats illegal and would put Willie Nelson in charge of the Texas Rangers (the real ones, I think...not the baseball players). Just so you know. Smile

With all due respect sweetie. You totally missed the point that Kinky's been a prankster since way before you were a twinkle in yo mama's eye. Putting any importance to Kinky's running for office is...welll...dare I say it?..
absurd
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 01:03 pm
panzade wrote:
With all due respect sweetie. You totally missed the point that Kinky's been a prankster since way before you were a twinkle in yo mama's eye. Putting any importance to Kinky's running for office is...welll...dare I say it?..
absurd

now you tell me. i was all set to move from kalifornia to tejas so i could experience a more enlightened governance. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 01:34 pm
yitwail wrote:
panzade wrote:
absurd

now you tell me. i was all set to move from kalifornia to tejas so i could experience a more enlightened governance. Crying or Very sad

His putting cats in his platform might have been a clue Smile
0 Replies