8

Summing Up and Forging On

2  
Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2024 09:27 pm
I don't understand why so many people celebrate mobster culture. Films like The Godfather and Pulp Fiction sicken me.
Ragman

1  
Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2024 08:41 am
@edgarblythe,
I understand your POV. I can trace back to the popularity of the movie Bonnie and Clyde. That’s where I recall that our (over 70 yr olds) modern cinema history the bad guy and extreme violence was glorified and bad guy was the hero. Of course, Bogart and Cagney and Robinson movies did that glorifying too. However, it was nothing like the ones you mentioned… or worse,…movies like Scarface where it was violence just for the sake of violence .

Speaking of Robinson. I recall him in the movie Little Caesar,after being shot, saying the famous line, “Mother of Mercy, is this the end of Rico?”

1  
Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2024 10:37 am
@Ragman,
Those old Cagney/Bogart/Robinson films generally make the bad guys pay. Even my hero Bob Dylan has a song that glorifies a criminal - Crazy Joe Gallo - titled "Joey." I love the song but don't confuse it with history.
Ragman

1  
Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2024 04:00 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yeah. He also wrote a song about Rubin ‘‘Hurricane” Carter which helped him obtain a retrial and helped free him from prison!

1  
Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2024 06:07 pm
@Ragman,
But Rubin was never proven to be a killer. Some come up with posts to show he was not as nice a guy as the song (and Ruben's book) depicts, but that's really an example of saying he did X therefore it's okay to blame him for Y. There was no reasonable case for convicting him.

1  
Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2024 09:34 am
My book is finished. I am working to get it published. A collection of six stories. EndEarthers - "enters the room like a lighted stick of dynamite" If you are a socialist, decry climate change, a fan of dystopian stories, you might be interested.