Summing Up and Forging On

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2024 07:50 pm
Went out with the garbage. Man on the other side of the water company hails me. He runs over with his weed eater and insists he will cut my yard for free.I let him do it then tried to pay but he waved me off and went home.
He apparently saw that my lawn mower wouldn't start and my yard was beyond shabby.
BillW

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2024 07:50 am
@edgarblythe,
There are still good people out there!
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2024 08:58 am
@BillW,
Oddly, I dreamed, a week ago, that the neighbors redecorated my yard. I've always believed there is some connectivity in the air between people and this is just one example of what I experience.

The man was a stranger to me. I'm not 100% certain which house he is in.
BillW

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2024 09:07 am
@edgarblythe,
Next time you see him, ask him if he can come.up here and mow my lawn šŸ˜‰
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2024 11:06 am
@BillW,
I suspect this was a one time thing.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2024 09:47 am
I constantly see comments about how old people smell. I need to ask my daughter when I see her this afternoon what it's like. Am I disgusting or merely off kilter slightly. Maybe she will lie and say she doesn't notice anything.
Ragman

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2024 01:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
I think the thing about elderly smelling is way overblown. I shop and live in south FL in an area where elderly are concentrated. I donā€™t smell any difference from the younger public. Of course, Iā€™m 73 yrs of age so I might not be a good barometer. Most people would say Iā€™ve a good sense of smell and food tastes great to me.

I do know some elderly that put their winter clothes in mothballs. So, perhaps thatā€™s ā€˜old people smellā€™.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2024 03:11 pm
@Ragman,
My last job kept me involved with people at nearly the end of their time for 23 years. I never noticed any such thing with a one of them. There was a woman with an apartment full of mothballed clothing, but it wasn't on her. It just sometimes irks me to read such comments.
Ragman

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2024 04:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
Par for the course, I guess. Young people may use cologne or perfume. Perhaps many elderly outgrew or donā€™t bother with it due to being on fixed incomes. They might not smell like the last trendy cologne (achoo). However, they shower and keep clean and use deodorant. Itā€™s just more malarkey.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2024 05:21 pm
@Ragman,
The only people who go dirty are the ones needing help but not having any. Generally speaking of course. In 1964 I was seeing a girl who let it slip that her parents only bathed if leaving the house. But they were not old.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2024 09:58 pm
We may adopt a dog this week. It depends on a few factors, such as weather. My last three dogs were big. They were great and I miss them. But now we are thinking mid size or a little smaller. A likely lap dog. There are two shelters, either of which we are considering. I'm thinking short haired female.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2024 12:58 pm
Started the new story today. Two whole sentences. I'm on a roll.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2024 02:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
I wish you the best with the choice. FWIW, here in the northeast (and in so. FlL) many shelters have labs and lab/pitbull mixes. In the smaller -sized dogs itā€™s often a terrier mix or HEINZ57.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2024 03:03 pm
@Ragman,
I'm not very knowledgeable about many smaller breeds. I once had a scruffy little black dog with an underbite who was such a joy that if I ever see another like her I'm going to have it. Maybe a terrier - I don't know.
Ragman

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2024 03:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
Furthermore, being that Iā€™m a bit older, I chose a 12 lb dog that I can easily pick up and carry when I need to ā€œreadjustā€ her.his attitude. When I had a Border Collie, it was a bit more problematicā€¦.especially because I had to outwit the dogā€¦hardly a likely scenario.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2024 03:21 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I'm not very knowledgeable about many smaller breeds. I once had a scruffy little black dog with an underbite who was such a joy that if I ever see another like her I'm going to have it. Maybe a terrier - I don't know.

Perhaps a Boxer or a Pug? Though there are many that fit that description.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2024 03:47 pm
Pearly May had wirey black hair. Sitting recalling her a few minutes ago I had tears in my eyes. She died in the seventies or early eighties.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2024 03:55 pm
@Ragman,
I found a terrier looking much like her. Give this one a serious underbite and it's her. It didn't let me have an address so I copied the link.
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-black-terrier-dog-with-tongue-out-on-sandy-beach-92911025.html
Ragman

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2024 04:38 pm
@edgarblythe,
Terriers are often great companions, though theyā€™ve a tendency to dig holes. Oops, there goes my ankle.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2024 05:05 pm
@Ragman,
Pearly May usually stayed indoors, but I recall her following me into the garden and digging up a mole.
0 Replies