Does anyone have a pasta maker?

jcboy

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2024 01:23 pm
A girlfriend of mine has one and loves it. I’m checking them out online and reading the reviews. I’d like to learn to how to make homemade pasta instead of the boxed stuff you buy. Homemade fresh pasta! Razz
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 651 • Replies: 25
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by jcboy
Mame

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2024 02:30 pm
@jcboy,
Yes, we have one. I also use mine when making puff pastry, so good for more than pasta. Ours locks on our island like the meat grinder does and it's quite sturdy. Let us know what you buy!
jcboy

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2024 02:37 pm
@Mame,
I will been checking out reviews on Amazon. I never even thought of making pastry with it. Razz
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2024 03:06 pm
@Mame,
So far I've found that the KitchenAid has the best reviews, but still looking around Amazon.
Mame

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2024 03:50 pm
@jcboy,
Ours is a Marcato Olympia machine from Italy. My husband already had it or I'd consider getting the attachment for the Kitchen Aid.

Off topic: He has a really, really heavy meat grinder but it's difficult and fussy to clean, so I got a Kitchen Aid grinding attachment. I love it. So much easier because the grinding and stuffing is automatic. The manual one requires two people. One to stuff and crank, and the other to stuff and twist.
Mame

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2024 03:51 pm
@Mame,
This has the best review on Amazon:

Nuvantee Pasta Maker - 7 Adjustable Thickness Settings - Roller & Attachments for Spaghetti or Fettuccine - Manual Pasta Maker Machine

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01JIUH2OY?tag=bgca1-194103-20
0 Replies

Ragman
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2024 06:40 am
I’ve got a pasta maker. It’ makes decent yummy pasta but a bit fussy and murder to clean. ( You’ll need a bristle brush, etc.) . The brand is called Ovente. Don’t drop the attachment that feeds and cuts the.Pasta. It’s murder to realign the teeth and make right. There re springs that pop out and you have to realign.

On an interesting note…I learned about using very fine Italian “00” pasta. It’s as finely ground as you can get. It’s not available everywhere, though. Gourmet or Italian groceries carry it. I use 50% of the total with it in a recipe and the pasta is amazing.
jcboy

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2024 09:19 am
I still haven't decided which one to get but today I have to run out and buy a new microwave, the GE one I had for just one year broke this morning. Put my coffee in it to heat it up and bar you push to open it broke. I looked that brand up online and dozens of people were complaining about the same thing happening to theirs. They sure don't make things to last very long. Mad
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2024 09:40 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

On an interesting note…I learned about using very fine Italian “00” pasta. It’s as finely ground as you can get. It’s not available everywhere, though. Gourmet or Italian groceries carry it. I use 50% of the total with it in a recipe and the pasta is amazing.

Believe it or not, I was reading about that 00 flour yesterday and found some by chance at Walmart so I bought it. I knew I had semolina flour at home, so today I'm making spinach, sausage and homemade ricotta lasagne. I'm so excited!

Bummer, jc, about your microwave. No, they don't make things to last anymore, but at least they're cheaper than they were.
jcboy

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2024 02:04 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Bummer, jc, about your microwave. No, they don't make things to last anymore, but at least they're cheaper than they were.

Yeah I bought the new microwave today, it's by Sharp, only 120 bucks, I figured for that price if it last a year what the heck.
Mame

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2024 12:03 pm
@jcboy,
What are you thinking re: pasta maker? Do you have a Kitchen Aid? You can get a pasta attachment, if you do. I was watching a video on Youtube by Helen Rennie - she has great advice and tips.

Yesterday I made a half 00 flour and half semolina pasta dough. It was ok - I made lasagna - but next time I'll substitute the semolina for either oo or bread flour.
Ragman

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2024 05:10 am
@Mame,
Quote:

- but next time I'll substitute the semolina for either oo or bread flour.

Excellent choice. I use that method…”00” with bread flour.
Mame

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2024 10:01 am
@Ragman,
What is your egg to flour ratio? And do you add any oil?

There are so many recipes out there!

The recipe I used called for 200 gr (1.5 c) each of semolina and 00... but when I weighed out the flour, one cup was 200 gr... so I ignored the weight and just used the 3 cups - it worked but was confusing. I prefer using weight measures but that just didn't work.
Ragman

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2024 02:15 pm
@Mame,
I’m going to try it again in the next few days and let you know.l off he top of my head, I’ve only got hair.
0 Replies

justdavidalone

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2024 08:20 pm
My girlfriend does have a pasta maker and we both love pasta.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2024 12:24 pm
Get this book:

0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2024 12:27 pm
Get this book:

The Pasta Man: The Art of Making Spectacular Pasta – with 40 Recipes Hardcover – June 8, 2021
by Mateo Zielonka (Author)
4.8 4.8 out of 5 stars 743 ratings
https://www.amazon.com/Pasta-Man-Making-Spectacular-Recipes/dp/1787136191

Editors' pick Best Cookbooks, Food & Wine
See all formats and editions

The Pasta Man, Mateo Zielonka, makes the most spectacular, original pasta you've ever seen. Striped, spotted, red, purple, green and black, and every shape imaginable, Mateo's pasta is prettier than a picture.

Now in The Pasta Man, Mateo reveals for the first time how you too can make his incredible creations. With "how to" sections guiding you through every shape and effect, from spots and stripes (using all-natural coloring), lasagne sheets and pappardelle, ravioli pillows, tortellini and other spectacular filled pastas, he then offers 40 delicious recipes with which to hone your new skills. Illustrated with beautiful photography and clear step-by-step instructions, let yourself be guided by a master and make your own pasta a work of art.

Requires very few special tool, and a good hand-crank pasta machine is less than $30.
Mame

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2024 02:15 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
You can also get it through your library. I'm downloading the ebook now.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2024 03:25 pm
@Mame,
It's a great book, I wanted it for my library. The only difficulty I have is the lack of counter space in our '70s galley kitchen.

I got the machine he recommends years ago at a thrift shop. I did everything he says not to do with one. After I cleaned it the way he says to clean it, it works very well.

Of all the kitchen stuff I do, I feel like pasta takes more time to make, but it takes very little time to prepare. Be cause of my small kitchen, setting up requires clamping a panel to my counter to pull the pasta out. Our dining area is a carpet so I don't have much drying area, but in terms of fresh pasta tonight, it works out fine.

Great for pirogi, too.
Mame

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2024 03:53 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
We have the Marcato 150. I ordered a ravioli tray online. I also just got a proper dough hook for my Kitchen Aid and made buns with it yesterday. Much better than the C-hook it came with. Looking forward to how it handles pasta. But I'll wait for the ravioli tray.