Networking

jespah

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 06:15 pm
I admit it, I'm not a fan of it -- I find it phony and awkward -- but I am also well aware that it works, and that it increases just about anyone's chances for being employed, and staying employed.

RP got his last job through networking. I got one of mine through networking. And so it goes.

What are your techniques? What works? What doesn't? What feels comfortable?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 715 • Replies: 9
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 06:20 pm
When I became a notary, I didn't do it because of the networking opportunities it afforded. Instead, I did it because my boss was complaining that every time our group filed for a patent, it took forever to get the applications and supplements notarized. So one day I just up and volunteered. It was cheap (the license is a tax deduction) and they paid for the time I took to go to the courthouse and get sworn in.

I have now done about 50 notarizations (that's documents, not witnessed signatures, which is probably over 100 by now) since January. And I meet a lot of people doing this, mainly bigwigs. They're all thrilled and happy that I'm there to help them. There's a sign on my door. I notarize nonwork stuff, too, like applications for passport renewals. I do this all for free, too, even though I could reasonably charge about $5 for anything outside of work. I do that because I can tell it helps with networking. They remember, hey, that gal gave me a valuable, unique service, for free.

A colleague of mine has a different sort of trick. She used to be a pastry chef and still has friends in the industry. She brings the professional-style cakes to our company parties, including one last week for a guy who was leaving. Everyone in the building was there, and by the end of the party, everyone knew M___'s name.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 05:06 pm
Jespah, I hope more people join in this thread, besides just lil' ol' me -- coz' I've always wanted to know more about how this networking thing works.

A few months ago, when I was sending out resumes, looking for another job, I contacted an employment agency. The lady I dealt with was very nice and helpful (even tho I actually wound up getting my job thru my own efforts).

She noticed I had experience doing transcription and asked if I had a transcription machine of my own. She said she had a some clients (mostly property companies) that need someone to do transcription for them sometimes.

Well, I don't have a transcription machine, but I think I can pick one up cheap off ebay. I told her if I get one soon, I'd give her a call back.

I've been thinking about doing that. It's something I could do at home in the evenings or on the weekends, and earn a little extra money.

And, I was thinking -- now that I work in the pharmaceutical industry (as a technical writer) I'm getting more and more familiar with the names of drugs, and chemicals. Maybe I can parlay this experience into doing some transcription work for doctors. I've heard you can make some nice money doing that.

So, I guess that would sorta be networking, wouldn't it?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 07:54 pm
Sure!

I had a whole run of jobs via networking. If I had stayed in one place, it probably could have gone on indefinitely. Still worked inter-state, but not on time. (In the last dozen years I've lived in WI, CA, IL, and OH [in order] -- I just found out that a person from WI highly recommended me for a job in IL after I'd already moved to OH. Drat.)

My basic modus operandi(um?) is treat everyone as someone who potentially has a killer lead -- usually they don't, but sometimes they do. And volunteer as much as you can stand -- I got burnt out after my last run and am consciously not doing it now, but it's an absolutely fantastic way to network.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 07:56 pm
<learning>
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 08:30 pm
I almost live for networking
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 03:26 am
Stray Cat wrote:
So, I guess that would sorta be networking, wouldn't it?

Definitely!

My company is in the voice recognition software biz and we use transcription (we have a full-time person, the ex-pastry chef I mentioned, above). Her predecessor did MT for about three years for us and parlayed it into a QA job elsewhere. She was just the known person, if you know what I mean.

RP got his last job through networking; his old company was leaving the area, we wanted to stay (of course), and a friend of his said, hey, my place might be hiring. Now RP does the same. It's a very incestuous industry, as is mine. People just know each other, and help one another out.

But one thing that definitely helps is establishing a beachhead, e. g. staying in one place or more or less in one place, so I've noticed. I've moved a few times and that made it tough to get reestablished.

My current job is through a head hunter, not through networking, but I now have my foot in the door and am working hard to sell myself not only as a subject matter expert (which would be a narrow niche) but also as something of a utility infielder. So I suggest a bunch of things, like let's put together this, here, let me organize that, and I think those are also going to be higher profile tasks.

Hey, it can't hurt.

Thanks to everyone for your responses.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 07:34 pm
Quote:
I now have my foot in the door and am working hard to sell myself not only as a subject matter expert (which would be a narrow niche) but also as something of a utility infielder.

your glove work is improving rapidly, but you still need practice on turning the double-play...
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 05:19 pm
Quote:
your glove work is improving rapidly, but you still need practice on turning the double-play...

Region, stop that, you bad boy!! (slapping Region's hand with my paw)

Quote:
I almost live for networking

How so, husker? Give us some examples, please.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 07:02 pm
i was talkin' clean, wholesome stuff there, Stray...
what'd u have in mind??

Mr. Green
0 Replies