A Serious Question for Bush Supporters

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 06:02 pm
(Apologies if this has already been broached.)

I was watching the news tonight about the two opposing protests in Texas re: the war, and a "litmus test" occurred to me. If people are so much in favor of what's happening, why don't they encourage their sons and daughters enlist to help our country? Seriously.
I am sure that some already have, but there must be many, many who haven't. That would show the President their true support and help return troop numbers back to significant levels so soldiers don't have to do second and third tours of duty.
What say you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 852 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Letty

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 09:14 am
Bermbits, I had never thought of that tactic. Good idea, but don't hold your breath, buddy.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 09:20 am
There's a "Yellow Elephant" campaign underway whereby college republicans are being asked to sign up.

Few results so far.

Here's a video of one guy approaching gollege republicans at the end of their meeting:

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/%7Eatevans/Yellow_Elephant.mov

Basically, the lead college republican claims the guy asking them to sign up is being "insensitive" (YES, he actually said that!) because there's a lot of people in there that would like to be able to sign up but aren't able to or can't for some reason.

Hmmm. Wonder what those reasons might be...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 09:24 am
Permanent limp from fat wallets in one pocket?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 09:57 am
" Example is not the main thing in influencing others, it's the only thing" - Albert Schweitzer

Talk is cheap. If we sat around at work and talked about it all day our competition would crush us and laugh us of the job site. The right wing needs to get off the internet and enlist. If they don't.We know what they really think of there cause. How long will it take for them to show up here.All mouth, no b**ls.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 10:07 am
You're a funny rabbit, dlowan. You're also likely "right" on target. Smile

Press Wants to Know if Pro-War Officials Will Send Their Own Kids to War

Quote:
By E&P Staff

Published: August 27, 2005 7:45 PM ET

NEW YORK It's a question from the press sure to be posed more and more as the months go on, directed at public officials who continue to support the Iraq war: If you believe in the cause so deeply, why aren't your own kids signing up? Most prominently, President Bush (through his press spokesmen) is now hearing it, but it's now trickling down to the congressional and state level.

Gov. Mitt Romney of Massachusetts, a strong backer of Bush policy in Iraq -- who has give sons age 24 to 35 -- heard the query yesterday, from a Boston Herald reporter. Romney, who has promoted National Guard recruitment, replied, a bit angrily, that he has not urged his own sons to enlist -- and isn't sure whether they would.

The Herald tossed the question as Romney as he was honored by the Massachusetts National Guard. "No, I have not urged my own children to enlist. I don't know the status of my childrens' potentially enlisting in the Guard and Reserve," Romney said, his voice tinged with anger, the Herald reported.

Neither the Romney children nor the governor have served in the military, a Romney spokeswoman said.

More than 1,100 guardsmen and women from Massachusetts are currently serving in Iraq and Afghanistan, with 28 Massachusetts soldiers killed so far.

"I don't think you should be so 'rah-rah' for a war that you aren't willing to send your own family members to," Rose Gonzalez of Somerville, whose mother, a state employee, was deployed to Iraq in January, told the Herald. "If he thinks the war is so just and so important and we shouldn't pull out, then he should encourage his own sons to go."

Nancy Lessin, a spokeswoman for Military Families Speak Out, said, "This is just one more politician who is willing to risk the lives of our loved ones and celebrate sending them off into a war that we never should have [been] in."
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 10:18 am
Section from page 2 of 5 Who's Next?

Quote:
Recruiters' access to college campuses has been protected since 1996 under the Solomon Amendment, which ties federal funding to schools' willingness to permit recruiters on campus. And the military is taking full advantage, especially at community colleges, where students with fewer choices are more likely to consider a military career. Now the military has gained free access to high schools as well, under a little-known clause in the No Child Left Behind Act. Nestled among florid tributes to education reform and clunky legalese is a brief passage stating that all public schools are required to share students' names, addresses and telephone numbers with recruiters. "They have unrestricted access to kids in the schools, cafeterias and classrooms," says Hany Khalil, an organizing coordinator at United for Peace and Justice, a national antiwar coalition. "They've even brought Humvees onto campuses to make the prospect of going to war seem sexy and exciting."

And it works. Not necessarily for the white doctor's son in the suburbs, who can see both Princeton and a Porsche in his future, but for low-income urban youth. In fact, the fewer alternatives a young person has, the better. "The military recruiters are especially targeting working-class youth and communities of color," says Khalil. "These are the communities that don't have access to good schools or good jobs, so it's easier to take advantage of them." Khalil's comments are substantiated by Defense Department population studies showing that most recruits are drawn from lower socioeconomic backgrounds, that 43 percent come from the South (while only 15 percent come from the more populous Northeast) and that only 8 percent of new recruits come from families with a father or mother in the "professions."
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 01:01 pm
dlowan wrote:

silly wabbitt ! dey jus' have udder priorities. :wink:

an some ob dem hab big, big pimples on dey butts. and some, dey do not tink dat dee war is being managed wight.

dey simpwy woodknot like dey fellwo soldyas to be saddulled o' impay-ed by dey wack of attention, dey inability to sitdown pwoppaly or compwaynings.

dey ahh doing dey paytweeotic doodies by not enwisting to be an ahhmy mans.

whydooknot yew wib-ahh-woools undastands dat ???
0 Replies

Francisco DAnconia

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 01:05 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
dlowan wrote:

silly wabbitt ! dey jus' have udder priorities. :wink:

an some ob dem hab big, big pimples on dey butts. and some, dey do not tink dat dee war is being managed wight.

dey simpwy woodknot like dey fellwo soldyas to be saddulled o' impay-ed by dey wack of attention, dey inability to sitdown pwoppaly or compwaynings.

dey ahh doing dey paytweeotic doodies by not enwisting to be an ahhmy mans.

whydooknot yew wib-ahh-woools undastands dat ???

It took me forever to figure out that I kinda agree with you. For the love of God, don't do that again Laughing

I'd think that, yes, part of their reluctance to join the armed forces has to do with a conviction that the war isn't being run right which, let's face it Republicans, it isn't, and also that pervasive fear of being blown into tiny pieces. Some, too, have limps due to huge wallets, but they'd be worthless fighters anyway, let's be honest.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 01:06 pm
So, who are the people enlisting? Anti-war liberals? I doubt it. I think you should check your facts before this gets out of hand...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 01:09 pm
As ought to be evident, those who enlist are those with the fewest immediate opitions for other careers; as also ought to be evident, fewer of them are enlisting, and Rummy and his crew have been obliged to take dictatorial measures to retain personnel.

What's your definition of out of hand, McG? Young Republicans obliged to go in harm's way?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 02:16 pm
McGentrix wrote:
So, who are the people enlisting? Anti-war liberals? I doubt it. I think you should check your facts before this gets out of hand...
I'm pretty sure the Anti-war people are not going to fight the war. Laughing
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 02:51 pm
Amigo wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
I'm pretty sure the Anti-war people are not going to fight the war. Laughing

logic ??? you answered the question with logic ?? what the hell is wrong with you ? Laughing
0 Replies