John Stewart impales Bush with his own words

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 11:54 am
Friday, August 26, 2005
Using Bush's Own Words, John Stewart Offers Tour De Force Review Of Iraq Talking Points

If JABBS has a kindred spirit in the world of television, it is Jon Stewart and the rest of the gang at Comedy Central's The Daily Show.

Simply put, Stewart et al have the uncanny ability to make razor-sharp political analysis -- better than just about anything you'll see on a real news show -- entertaining and memorable.

The Aug. 25 edition of the show provides the latest example of why this may the most intelligent and meaningful half hour on television.

The subject was President Bush's talking points on the Iraq War. If you a regular JABBS reader, I'm sure you will agree with Stewart's various points.

STEWART: (Bush) has developed a sophisticated exit strategy ... for getting out of questions about the war. It's a strategy known as repetition, or "repetition." It's one he'd used with great success many times before.

"But Jon," you ask, "how does it work?"

The first step is to let people know you're aware of their questions. Then the president can reduce these nuanced concerns into a simplistic misguided concern that he can easily refute.

BUSH MONTAGE: I also know there's a lot of folks here in the United States that are, you know, wondering about troop withdrawals ... I also have heard the voices of those saying: "pull out now" ... Immediate withdrawal from Iraq would be a mistake.

STEWART: See? He knows the concerns that make you look like a pussy. So staying the course in Iraq is the plan. But what about all the violence and chaos we see? Pah! It's not match for a simple eight-letter word. See if you can pick out the one he uses:

BUSH MONTAGE: I am pleased with the progress being made ... we're making progress ... a lot of progress ... I'm please with the progress ... progress ... progress ... Oh I know it's hard for some Americans to see that ...

STEWART: But?

BUSH: ... we are making progress.

STEWART: Yes!

So we're doing the right thing and we're making good progress. So, I guess that means, uh, if I hear you correctly -- we're doing the right thing and we're making good progress -- that soon we'll be able to talk about concrete troop withdrawal?

BUSH MONTAGE: Why would you say to the enemy, you know, here's the timetable ... it makes no sense ... it doesn't make any sense to have a timetable ... an artificial timetable ... there aren't any timetables ... I'm not giving timetables ...

STEWART: One little timetable? No timetables!

Now here's why staying on message with your talking points is difficult: Back when the war began, the talking points for the president centered on weapons of mass destruction. (Laughs) Really drilled that into our heads actually -- it was quite a lot of talk. That doesn't seem to come up so much anymore. But you just know some nasty reporter's always going to ask. So the key for your new war rationale talking point is: delivering them as though the person who asked is retarded:

BUSH MONTAGE: We're defeating them there so we do not have to face them here ... our immediate strategy is to eliminate terrorist threats abroad ... we're fighting the enemy in Iraq ... fighting them in Iraq ... to defeat the terrorists abroad ... so we don't have to face them here at home ... where we live ...

STEWART: (Sarcastically) Duh!

Of course, sometimes, no matter how good your talking points, no matter how many times you repeat them, there are still some dissenters and non-believers. If there only was some way you could shut these remaining people up with some kind of emotional bludgeon:

BUSH MONTAGE: The war arrived on our shores on September the 11th, 2001 ... September the 11th ... September the 11th I made a commitment to the American people ... from September the 11th ... the lesson of September the 11th, 2001 ...

STEWART: You know, if I had a nickel for every time Bush has mentioned 9/11, I could raise enough reward money to go after Bin Laden!

And there you go, talking points. Simple! Catchy!

And there you go. Stewart! Brilliant!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 647 • Replies: 15
No top replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 12:01 pm
That's good stuff.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 12:07 pm
Kicky
kickycan wrote:
That's good stuff.

I love John Stewart et al.

BBB
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 12:20 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 12:26 pm
I laughed my head off when I saw that bit. Stewart and the Daily Show writers are better than all the cable news shows put together. (Most of which are focusing on Natalie Holloway. Rolling Eyes)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 12:30 pm
Who?
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 12:35 pm
Just thought I would supply the link. Very Happy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 12:37 pm
The URL.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 12:39 pm
Did any of you watch the cristopher hitchins interview last night?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 12:54 pm
Was it funny? No? No.
0 Replies

Francisco DAnconia

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 12:35 am
maybe it wasn't funny, but the christopher hitchens interview was phenomenal. Two great minds, arguing heatedly but without contempt... rare and glorious.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 04:17 pm
Would that the tone in this forum were the same.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 04:33 pm
Keeping a civilized tone is hard work, hard I tell you. Were all workin hard on it but, I must say, in all honesty , Its hard work.
0 Replies

dora17

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 05:11 pm
Stewart is not only funny, he can do interviews with people he is completly opposed to without being demeaning or obnoxious; he debates fairly and lets the interviewee speak and make their point, without yelling over them, like you might see "serious journalists" do on some...um... *other* channels....
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 05:19 pm
http://www.comedycentral.com/

Click on Videos: The Daily Show and see Hitchens as well as the talking points video mentioned in the first post.

Video pops up in a new window. We don't have cable right now, so this is how I get my "Daily" Dose of Stewart. Sometimes I actually wait a couple of days so I have like 3 or four videos to watch in a row. But, most times I'm not that patient.

Also saw in the news today that Daily Show is going to start airing in UK. The Brits should love it.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 05:35 pm
farmerman wrote:
Keeping a civilized tone is hard work, hard I tell you. Were all workin hard on it but, I must say, in all honesty , Its hard work.

But we're making lots of progress. Progress can bee seen on these boards, I tell ya. It's getting better every day because of all the progress.
0 Replies