The Optimal Level of Immigration

gollum

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2023 08:30 am
Some people wish to allow open immigration. Perhaps they are employers and believe immigrants will lower the wage level.

Other people wish to restrict immigration. Perhaps they fear a large number of poor immigrants.

I would give the members of both groups what they want. Allow any citizen to nominate as many people as he wishes to enter the country subject to his (i.e., the citizen's) promise to use his funds to prevent the immigrant from becoming a public charge.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 615 • Replies: 3

hightor

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2023 09:59 am
@gollum,
I prefer a system which does something to control the size of our population. For every immigrant allowed in we deport a MAGA voter or a christian nationalist.
Mame

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2023 05:22 pm
@hightor,
Or a woke idiot.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2023 08:18 pm
@gollum,
I think you would create a false barrier and some perverse incentives with that plan. The current system puts all the risk on the workers. Shifting it to the employers would probably result in less available workers since employers are notoriously risk averse. Estimates say there are between 11 and 12 million undocumented people in the US and currently we have pretty much full employment. The US Chamber of Commerce shows labor shortages all across the economy. If those millions of workers disappeared tomorrow, the economy would absolutely crash.
https://uschamber.imgix.net/https%3A%2F%2Fwww.uschamber.com%2Fassets%2Fimages%2FAmerica-Works-Charts-November2023_5_Web_2023-11-14-220822_rudd.png?auto=compress%2Cformat&fit=clip&fm=png&q=80&w=600&s=6a5fb559b057318af2041182a0d3e9e3

If they were all legalized, the economy would likely boom since there are significant costs to maintaining a shadow workforce, but the reality is that stoking hatred of immigrants is a winning political strategy in some places so we aren't going to see a common sense approach any time soon.
0 Replies