Kant and theology

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2023 01:46 pm
Did Kant consider revealed theology to be a science? By science I do not mean natural science, but Wissenschaft in the 18th century sense. I would appreciate a citation in Kant with any answer. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 530 • Replies: 4
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2023 12:09 pm
@Jedothek ,
Immanuel Kan! wrote:

Immanuel Kant, a German philosopher of the 18th century, was a deontologist, meaning that he believed that the morality of an action is determined by its conformity to duty, rather than its consequences. He argued that we should act in accordance with the Categorical Imperative, which is a universal moral law that we can derive through reason.

Kant would likely argue that homework cheating is morally wrong because it is a violation of the Categorical Imperative. Specifically, he would argue that cheating is a form of lying, and that lying is wrong because it undermines the trust that is essential for human relationships. Additionally, he would argue that cheating is unfair to other students who are putting in the hard work to learn the material.

Here is an example of how Kant might argue against homework cheating:

Premise 1: We should always act in accordance with the Categorical Imperative, which states that we should act only on maxims that we could will to be universal laws of nature.
Premise 2: Cheating is a form of lying.
Premise 3: Lying is wrong because it undermines the trust that is essential for human relationships.
Conclusion: Therefore, homework cheating is wrong.
Kant would also likely argue that homework cheating is wrong because it is a form of self-deception. When we cheat, we are essentially cheating ourselves out of an education. We are not learning the material, and we are not developing our critical thinking skills. As a result, we are more likely to struggle in the future, both academically and professionally.

Overall, Kant would likely argue that homework cheating is morally wrong because it is a violation of the Categorical Imperative, it undermines the trust that is essential for human relationships, and it is a form of self-deception.

And yes. Immanuel Kant wrote about himself in the third person.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2023 01:00 pm
@tsarstepan,
Interesting...but...

...any of the three P's he offered there would fail in a syllogism.

P1 (the major premise) must be a fact...not an assertion.

0 Replies

Jedothek

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2023 05:28 pm
@tsarstepan,
The comments offered here are interesting, but ( I say with reluctance) irrelevant to my question. Can anyone answer my question?
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2023 06:52 am
@Jedothek ,
Jedothek wrote:

The comments offered here are interesting, but ( I say with reluctance) irrelevant to my question. Can anyone answer my question?

Sounds to me like a reasearch project...which, apparently, you do not want to do the way these projects are normally done.

In any case, your question, "Did Kant consider revealed theology to be a science?" is almost certainly properly answered with:

I do not know for sure, but probably not.

Kant was not a moron...and anyone who would consider "revealed theology" (whatever the hell that is) to be a "science" (of any kind) would have to be a moron.
0 Replies