Pat Robertson

JPB

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 10:02 am
neologist wrote:
The main problem with rejecting Paul or any part of the canon is the doubt it casts on the veracity of the remaining texts.

If any part of the bible is in substantive error, then those who follow it are to be pitied.

Er, just stuck my neck out, didn't I?

I don't know about pitied, neo. I don't pity believers, but I do think the concept of devine protection of the bible is specious. I have absolutely no problem rejecting Paul yet getting value from the message of Jesus.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 10:06 am
Paul's letters would be a good thread topic.

The real psycopath on this thread is named Pat.

edited to add
Oh, and J_B, divine protection would be another good topic. Frank Apisa would just love it, don't you think?
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 10:14 am
neologist wrote:
Paul's letters would be a good thread topic.

The real psycopath on this thread is named Pat.

edited to add
Oh, and J_B, divine protection would be another good topic. Frank Apisa would just love it, don't you think?

Oh, I never said Paul was a psychopath. No, that honour goes to Pat Robertson. I don't have any trust in that guy.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 10:18 am
I haven't reviewed the entire thread; but are there any PAT-riots out there?
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 10:58 am
Neo,
None that will admit it(yet), although several seem to mirror all his opinions inadvertantly.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 11:03 am
I am interested to know what opinions people are mirroring Dok.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 12:18 pm
Neo,

Jamesdg made this statement:

Quote:
The bible clearly states that all that follow Jesus will be no part of this world. So this means political too pat robinson is not staying politically neutral is he. So you know that hmm he is not from God.

To which you posted a few scriptures for me. In quoting that scripture I was actually supporting what both of you were saying. However, my initial question was more because I was curious if jamesdg knew the scriptures he was talking about or if he was just making an obscure statement. I in no way meant to detour this thread from it's origional course by posting a scripture that was followed by an arguement about Paul. So please accept my apologies for that.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 06:56 pm
Someone who wishes to remain on topic?

Amazing!
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 09:39 pm
hephzibah wrote:

The prefabricated opinion-set known as protestant christianity.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 11:40 pm
Doktor S wrote:
hephzibah wrote:

The prefabricated opinion-set known as protestant christianity.

And what would the prefabricated opinion-set of protestant christianity be to you?
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 11:43 pm
90% of what you say, just to throw a figure out there...
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 12:09 am
hmmm... lol ya think? really?
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 12:28 am
I find your statement interesting dok. Are you following what I write or something? I'm trying to think here how much of my beliefs I've actually talked about, well concerning christianity in particular. I would find it hard to believe that it has been 90% really. Truthfully speaking I am strongly opposed to certain beliefs on both side of the coin. (speaking of religious beliefs vs non-religious beliefs)

However, I didn't come here with the with the intention of imposing those beliefs on anyone. Nor did I come here to build up my spiritual ego by making others feel smaller than me. What I believe is part of who I am, as it is with everyone. So a certain amount of that is going to be obvious I guess no matter what I do. I won't apologize for who I am or what I believe. Nor do I ask anyone else to.

Neo.... sorry... did it again!
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 12:45 am
hephzibah wrote:
Quote:
However, I didn't come here with the with the intention of imposing those beliefs on anyone. Nor did I come here to build up my spiritual ego by making others feel smaller than me.

I think that is true of most of us. Unfortunately, not too many seem to believe it.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 12:56 am
Questioner wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
pachbel,

Glad to see that wasn't a quote from you.

I find it so ironic that there are those that don't believe in Christianity (or even God in some cases) that still find it necessary to tell others how to be a Christian or what Christians should believe. They want us to adhere strictly to something they do not believe or have no faith in. Boggles my mind.

I don't think it's so much telling you how to believe, but more along the lines of "distance yourselves from the flamboyant radicals". You have to admit MA, some of the televangelists out there are little more than stage actors out to get a quick buck. It's those types that, if embraced by christianity as a whole (or seen to be embraced) that give christians their bad rap.

First I would like to ask what qualify's someone as a flamboyant radical?

I will be the first to admit (ok, maybe not the first...) it's more than some televangelists out there... I can't tell you how many churches I've been in where prior to the sermon there was a 10 minute "mini sermon" on tithing.

AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH!

My argument with that is, if you really believe God called you to this "ministry" and paved the way for you to be there, well, wouldn't he then provide for what you are doing with out you having to beg for money? How can you say on one hand, "God is my provider" then turn around and try to guilt people into giving you more? Or the latest thing I've been seeing on tv is:

"HI! I'm the prophet Josiah! God wants to bless you and so do I! God speaks to me regularly about people all around the world and I would love to give you a prophecy! Just send me a check for $50 or more and God will speak to me when I touch your check!"

LOLOL GIVE ME A FREAKING BREAK! Yeah God will speak to him alright... all the way to the bank!
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 01:28 am
Intrepid wrote:
hephzibah wrote:
Quote:
However, I didn't come here with the with the intention of imposing those beliefs on anyone. Nor did I come here to build up my spiritual ego by making others feel smaller than me.

I think that is true of most of us. Unfortunately, not too many seem to believe it.

yeah i know intrepid... it's all good though Very Happy
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 06:20 pm
PR apologized yesterday, by the way. here's an excerpt from a letter to Ariel Sharon's son, Omri. after many platitudes about his sadness and fondness for Sharon, etc, he writes:

Quote:
Regrettably, few, if any, of these heartfelt sentiments were carried by the news media in America or by the news media in Israel. However, I ask your forgiveness and the forgiveness of the people of Israel for remarks I made at the time concerning the writing of the holy prophet Joel and his view of the inviolate nature of the land of Israel.

I personally feel very passionate about the safety of your country and the divine claim of the Jewish people to Eretz Israel and what has been called Judea and Samaria. My zeal, my love of Israel, and my concern for the future safety of your nation led me to make remarks which I can can now view in retrospect as inappropriate and insensitive in light of a national grief experienced because of your father's illness. I ask your forgiveness and the forgiveness of the people of Israel for saying what was clearly insensitive at the time.

http://patrobertson.com/images/TheHonorableOmriSharon1.jpg

note that he's not admitting his opinion was wrong, only that it was ill-timed & insensitive. and his reference to the "future safety" of Israel may indicate a conviction that other misfortunes will befall Israel in the future if the dividing of the land continues.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 06:28 pm
Many nominal christians harbor the mistaken belief that the end time can not come unless natural Jews inhabit the ancestral Israel. This is one reason for Anglo American support of post WWII occupation of Palestine. There is really no great love for Jews involved; hence the insensitive comments.
0 Replies

ali87

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 06:25 pm
0 Replies

pachelbel

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 10:49 pm
neologist wrote:
Many nominal christians harbor the mistaken belief that the end time can not come unless natural Jews inhabit the ancestral Israel. This is one reason for Anglo American support of post WWII occupation of Palestine. There is really no great love for Jews involved; hence the insensitive comments.

Just 2 questions:

1)Given that Jews in Israel do not believe that Jesus is the son of God,
why do the Born Agains want to defend and protect Israel? Wouldn't the Jews be considered the anti-Christ, as they are anti Christ?

2)At least Moslems recognize Jesus. The Jews do not even do that.

Would like some well thought out answers, please, not hysterical comments from the S&R threads.
0 Replies