Pat Robertson

JAMESDG

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 03:51 pm
I am politicaly nuteral i dont vote and i dont get involved in political issues. I do know one thing the bible says that Jesus his kingdom will crush and put an end to the world goverments so I am on Jesus side.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 05:29 pm
JAMESDG, Here are a few random thoughts in no particlular order. PS Id like to be the first to welcome you in the boat. Now having dispensed with the salutations,

So, what if one or more of the authors of the Bible was just making it up and phoning it in? How about the Gnostic Gospels that got left on the "cutting room floor" and never made it in ?

Jesus was also the same guy that got a hissy fit and smote a fig tree, think maybe he was out in the sun too long?

Ever read the Declaration of Independence and the part about "Governments are Constituted by men...?"

A lot of good people in Germany did the same as you in the 1920s, and reaped the benefits of their indecision in the 1930's.

The fact that you consider yourself religious then prehaps you should be the one to explain why Pat Robertson can act like a complete loon.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 08:32 pm
Letty wrote:
Jimmy Swagart(sp)"I have sinned, oh, Lord."
Oral Roberts: The day of the poor Christian is over
Jim Baker: Mo money!
Jerry Falwell: We'll only teach creationism.
Rep. from the Southern association of schools and colleges: you won't be an accredited college.

any comments for
Billy or Franklin Graham ?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 08:37 pm
i wrote a high school term paper in 1983 on an evangelist, but for the life o' me i can't remember who it was...

if people start tossing out some names, it might come back to me Embarrassed Very Happy
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 07:59 pm
Robertson in India: Many Receive Hope and Freedom through Christ
By George Thomas
CBN News Sr. Reporter

CBN.com - NEW DELHI, India - Last week, Pat Robertson took the message of hope to the world's largest democracy -- India. Many in the Indian audience were also blessed with miracles.

With no prepared notes to rely on, and just the Holy Spirit, Pat did what he does every day in America and has done so countless times around the world, share the message of the love of Jesus Christ.

On this Friday night, with the help of an interpreter, that message found its way into the hearts of Indians who had gathered in their nation's capital city of New Delhi.

The venue was the famous Ram Leela Stadium, an Indian word meaning the "playground of the Hindu gods." But on this night, the ground belonged to those who had raised their hands to accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior.

It was also a night for those who were looking for a miracle and wanted to be set free from the bondage of sin and disease.

Many came forward to testify to what God had done in their lives. One man said he had been tormented for years by voices in his head. Our CBN News camera caught him on the ground crying out to God for help.

He said that when Pat had a word about people being delivered from evil spirits, he jumped up and claimed that word for his life.

A Hindu woman said she had chronic stomach bleeding but believed God had healed her too.

Several men came that night with severe back and leg problems. They left leaping and jumping and praising God!

Pat was invited to India to share the Gospel by one of this country's most prominent evangelists, Dr. D.G.S. Dhinakaran.

Pat is no stranger to India. For years, he has used CBN and Operation Blessing to minister God's love to countless Indian people. And today he is praying that more will be touched by this love.

Pat said, "I feel that these most beautiful people, they are so hungry for God. You know this is the largest democracy in the world, over a billion people, and perhaps this would be considered the most religious country on earth. But they are looking for the wrong God. I believe they are open to Jesus, and my hope is to see 100 million Indians come to the Lord Jesus Christ in the next few years."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 08:12 pm
Funny thing about Billy Graham, he was constantly touted in the news, but so rarely quoted - Did he ever say anything noteworthy?
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 08:37 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Funny thing about Billy Graham, he was constantly touted in the news, but so rarely quoted - Did he ever say anything noteworthy?

edgar,
Last thing I remember him saying was "I've been a Democrat all my life."

This was just after last years election.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 01:36 pm
I think the whole problem here is that it seems because a certain priest, minister, evangelist, etc., is in the public eye and has committed a sin (which, BTW, we all do) and then truly repents of that sin (some do some don't) they are forever labeled.

We are taught in Christianity to use discernment in all our decisions. This includes which church leaders, politicians, etc., to follow. Why is it that the truly good ministers, Billy Graham being one of them IMO, are never mentioned? The good they have done for this world is dismissed? Why do we focus on the mistakes?

All Christians are not alike. All Christians do not think and feel the way Pat Robertson does. But, it seems ALL Christians are being judged by his actions.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 02:14 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
All Christians are not alike. All Christians do not think and feel the way Pat Robertson does. But, it seems ALL Christians are being judged by his actions.

Pat Robertson is a major player in the political activity of the religious right. He has a huge following. He is well known for putting his foot in his mouth, yet the money keeps rolling in.

Why do you see criticism of this fruitcake as a judgement of all Christians?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 02:17 pm
Well, I suppose because when it is Christians that are being spoken of in these threads, rarely is it that we are spoken of as anything but fanatical, zealots, crazy, idiotic, etc.

I am not saying every single thing said about Christians is labeled this way. But, in general, it sure seems to be the case.
0 Replies

pachelbel

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 10:58 pm
Rolling Eyes Well, I admit I am confused! I thought there was separation of church and state? How can ministers get involved with politics, then? I am quoting Momma Angel who said to follow the leaders that the ministers tell us to follow. Is this true for all Christian religions? BTW I am Christian and I am not comfortable when this happens in our church. What do you think? Shouldn't the ministers just preach the Word of God and not try to tell us who to vote for, or follow? Thank you. I am new here and don't know all the ropes yet!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 11:05 pm
pachelbel wrote:
Rolling Eyes Well, I admit I am confused! I thought there was separation of church and state? How can ministers get involved with politics, then? I am quoting Momma Angel who said to follow the leaders that the ministers tell us to follow. Is this true for all Christian religions? BTW I am Christian and I am not comfortable when this happens in our church. What do you think? Shouldn't the ministers just preach the Word of God and not try to tell us who to vote for, or follow? Thank you. I am new here and don't know all the ropes yet!

Welcome pachelbel!

I did not say to follow the leaders that the ministers tell us to follow. I said church leaders and what I meant by that is the pastors, etc. I wasn't talking about church leaders being politicians. When voting for a particular politician, it is important to use discernment in our decision making process.

I did not mean that the church leaders should tell us who to vote for. Quite frankly, I can't ever remember a pastor that I have had contact with doing that.

I guess it was just a miscommunication there.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 11:16 pm
What amazes me is that these men who have religious and political power continue to say and do these unconsciounable things, while the populace that believes in them keeps defending them.

I wonder how many poor people have sent in money to religious fanatics because they have been so brainwashed?

Nice try bear, but the more things change, the more they stay the same. Same old song by the same people.
0 Replies

pachelbel

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 11:28 pm
Thank you for your answer, Momma Angle. I guess the miscommunication was due to the posting here - I will try to paste it in so you can see what you said:

Mommy Angel wrote:
We are taught in Christianity to use discernment in all our decisions. This includes which church leaders, politicians, etc., to follow. Why is it that the truly good ministers, Billy Graham being one of them IMO, are never mentioned? The good they have done for this world is dismissed? Why do we focus on the mistakes?

You did mention politicians, and said you are taught in Christianity to use discernment when choosing someone. This does sound like, maybe, the Church you are involved in makes recommendations about who to follow? As far as who should be President, I mean? What did you mean by politicians? Thank you for your time in helping me understand this.
0 Replies

pachelbel

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 11:39 pm
JamesDG,

Welcome, I am new too! Can I ask you a question? Are you a Jehovah Witness? Because some of what you are saying sounds like it. Are Jehovah Witnesses Christians?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 09:51 am
pachbel Wrote:

Quote:
Thank you for your answer, Momma Angle. I guess the miscommunication was due to the posting here - I will try to paste it in so you can see what you said:

Mommy Angel wrote:

You did mention politicians, and said you are taught in Christianity to use discernment when choosing someone. This does sound like, maybe, the Church you are involved in makes recommendations about who to follow? As far as who should be President, I mean? What did you mean by politicians? Thank you for your time in helping me understand this.

Pachbel, let me see if I can clear this up. Whenever I make decisions, like on who to vote for, OR who is to be a leader in our church, or community, etc., I am not talking about the church telling us who to follow.

When I vote, I try to know as much about the politician as I can so that I can make a fair discernment of that person. It's just like when you make friends, you discern that person's character and if it's the type of person you can be friends with or not.

When we have church leadership changes, we all have to discern from the information we can gather, as to whether that person will be good for our church or not. Good is probably not the right word there, but I haven't had coffee yet. Laughing

Personally, I wouldn't want to be involved with a church or minister, etc., that would be endorsing political candidates. I think that's going a bit too far.

I mean a Christian should use discernment in all they do. I am sorry that I wasn't better able to communicate that. If you need more clarification, just ask. Sometimes when someone keeps asking me questions, I can eventually get it out! :wink:
0 Replies

pachelbel

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 06:13 pm
Diane wrote:
What amazes me is that these men who have religious and political power continue to say and do these unconsciounable things, while the populace that believes in them keeps defending them.

I wonder how many poor people have sent in money to religious fanatics because they have been so brainwashed?

Nice try bear, but the more things change, the more they stay the same. Same old song by the same people.

Rolling Eyes Yes, Diane, and that bothers me, too. Using religion for a political tool is reprehensible. But how do these people get so many people to believe in their palaver?

Usually the religious fanatics prey on older people or sick folks.

Who is 'bear'? Wasn't sure who you were referring to here!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 06:46 pm
Sorry pachelbel, 'bi-polar bear' changed his name to blueveinedthrobber, but sometimes I still call him bear.

I wonder if there is an answer to why some folks send their money to these scam artists. It is tragic to know of people sending money they badly need just to survive, to the epitamy of immorality.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 07:27 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Well, I suppose because when it is Christians that are being spoken of in these threads, rarely is it that we are spoken of as anything but fanatical, zealots, crazy, idiotic, etc.

I am not saying every single thing said about Christians is labeled this way. But, in general, it sure seems to be the case.

I'm not sure which threads you're talking about, but to be sure, there are atheists who don't suffer Christians gladly. On the other hand, I think there are many who are critical mostly of fundamentalist Christians, if it's ok to use the 'f-word.' I'm one of those people: just because I have disdain for Falwell & Robertson doesn't imply that I bash all Christians. I have great admiration for Jimmy Carter, for instance, who professed his Christianity long ago & never turned apostate as far as I know.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 07:37 pm
yitwail wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:

I'm not sure which threads you're talking about, but to be sure, there are atheists who don't suffer Christians gladly. On the other hand, I think there are many who are critical mostly of fundamentalist Christians, if it's ok to use the 'f-word.' I'm one of those people: just because I have disdain for Falwell & Robertson doesn't imply that I bash all Christians. I have great admiration for Jimmy Carter, for instance, who professed his Christianity long ago & never turned apostate as far as I know.

yitwail,

I have never met you before so I cannot say you are one that does this. That is why I said it was in general and not in all cases. I meant no offense to you or anyone in particular.
0 Replies