Disturbing news on the economy

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 11:04 am
Disturbing news on the economy
By Thomas Oliphant
Boston Globe Columnist
August 21, 2005

FOR MORE than a year, hard-pressed Americans have been trying to signal the political establishment that something is upside-down wrong in an economy that is producing soaring costs and flat incomes. Given the blinders associated with his fervent ideology, President Bush's deaf ear is expected and unremarkable.

It's progressive politicians who should be paying more attention. More than a hundred years ago, Charles Dickens's cockeyed optimist, Wilkins Micawber, explained to David Copperfield that the difference between happiness and misery involves the positive or negative difference between income and expenses.

The signal coming from working Americans (and retired ones, too) has been precisely that. As the government confirmed once again last week, rising costs have outpaced stagnant wages in ten of the last 12 months. The only positive news was recorded last September and in June. But that was overwhelmed by the trend that has eroded the value of the ordinary paycheck. As almost always happens in such spirals, the problem involves wages and prices. The former are as close to stagnant as it's possible to get; these days, a 2 percent raise is heralded as generous and the employee who gets one is considered lucky.

It's the prices people pay, especially for necessities, that have exploded. For more than a year, the cost of gasoline and heating oil has been soaring. And for five years, the cost of healthcare has been exploding, too, even as the value of what care people can buy has been eroded via sharp increases in deductibles and copayments.

The United States has a gigantic economy, as well as a famously mixed one. For those who simply follow the numbers, it can often seem as if good news about living costs in some sectors (clothing, food, mortgage rates) neatly balances the bad news from energy and healthcare.

Last month, however, the underlying trend of paycheck erosion became harder to ignore when the Labor Department reported that consumer prices shot up by 0.5 percent in July overall, after giving effect to areas of the economy where costs are more nearly under control.

What is worse, the Labor Department reported that the average weekly earnings of people in the private sector who are not bosses fell during July by 0.2 percent.

If that were one month's statistical anomaly, that would be one thing, but it is a continuation of a trend that Americans have been feeling for a long time. The weekly earning data that the government collects involves roughly four out of every five participants in the labor force. Last year, for the first time in a decade since the US was emerging from a much different set of problems, the weekly earnings news after adjustment for inflation was negative.

By last month, earnings were trailing costs by roughly 0.5 percent compared to July of 2004. In this age of more than one paycheck per household, this disturbing situation dovetails with the decline in median household income (half above it, half below it) over the last four years. This highlights the important fact that even before the leap in energy costs, most working families saw the limited tax relief voted in 2001 more than wiped out by higher state and local taxes as well as inflation.

More bad news is in store. The day after its report on consumer prices, the Labor Department reported that costs at the wholesale level had jumped a full percentage point, indicating that additional retail price increases are just around the corner. For months, there has been a struggle by businesses to absorb as much of these higher costs as possible before passing them on; the strain, however, is showing -- in the troubles of the auto and airline businesses and the shrinking margins in retail stores. The strain, leading to further downward pressure on pay, is growing.

The appearance of worrying inflation numbers also underlines how nearly impossible it is to imagine the Federal Reserve stopping its interest rate-raising campaign to keep inflation from exploding. That year-old strategy, however, is also likely to slow economic growth even more, without affecting the spikes in energy and healthcare costs.

The Bush administration is in an ideological straitjacket. But progressive politicians have several issues they should raise, particularly long overdue increases in the minimum wage and the earned income tax credit -- kitchen table matters that should not take a backseat to the latest fears about John Roberts.

With corporations sitting on more than a trillion dollars in idle cash, with tax breaks helping create astonishing increases in wealth at the top, the people who make this economy work deserve some cash of their own. They also need it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 687 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 11:13 am
In October, the minimum payment on all credit cards doubles, from roughly 2% to 4%. Thanks to the new bankruptcy bill, ONE late payment authorizes the CC company to jack your rate up to just over 30%. Also in October, the new Bankruptcy laws go into effect.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out just how much of a squeeze this is going to put many, many of our families in.

Given that our economy relies on Q4 heavily, it's hard to see things going well this year.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 11:32 am
30% interest rates are absurd, 4% monthly repayment is not. I'm in favor of reducing the perpetual debt that many cc holders carry, but the increased penalty for a late payment is ridiculous.

Is there a grace period associated with the new laws that give people time to get used to the new minimum payment before the rates can get jacked up?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 11:34 am
It doesnt disturb me.
I dont have any credit cards,my house is paid for,and I have no outstanding debt,except for my pickup truck.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 02:17 pm
Quote:
30% interest rates are absurd, 4% monthly repayment is not. I'm in favor of reducing the perpetual debt that many cc holders carry, but the increased penalty for a late payment is ridiculous.

Is there a grace period associated with the new laws that give people time to get used to the new minimum payment before the rates can get jacked up?

Grace period? No way! The whole thing was designed to make money for the CC agencies, period.

MM, you may be sitting pretty; but that doesn't stop bad things from happening to the economy around you, which you will feel the sting from just like the rest of us.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

rodeman

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 03:37 pm
The economy is going in the crapper??? That's not what Dubya tells me............
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 03:58 pm
Is this the same thing that happened with Reaganomics? Just wondering if the trickle down theory is the problem and having tried it twice, can we now put it to bed?
0 Replies

cavolina

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 08:34 am
Squinney,

It's not trickle down. It's, as Yogi says, "deja vue all over again. The same upward movement of energy cost and interest rates, This causes "stagflation".

The Federal Reserve will continue to raise interest rates to "control inflation" just as they did in the late 1970's. Only this time they will really rip us a new one. 30% interest on credit cards won't be a result of a late payment, they will be the normal rate as the Prime Rate soars to 15% and we again see wealth trickle up.

What to do? Make it clear to your Congressman and Senators that this will cause some serious repercussions to their political careers. Then, tell all your Evangelical freinds that they will inherit a country that is without any future if they don't stop worrying about the butt-f..kers and abortions. They will have it all but "it all" won't be worth a damn.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 08:47 am
cavolina wrote:
Squinney,

It's not trickle down. It's, as Yogi says, "deja vue all over again. The same upward movement of energy cost and interest rates, This causes "stagflation".

I have done a thorough review of all of Yogi Bear's quotes, and I cannot find this one. I ask, no, I DEMAND, proof that Yogi ever uttered those words. If not, a retraction is warranted. :wink: Laughing
0 Replies

cavolina

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 12:24 pm
CoastalRat

Your Yogi played in Jellystone Park, mine played in the Bronx. Although the resemblance is striking!
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 12:27 pm
And here I thought Berra was just a cute Bronx pet name for Yogi Bear. You mean they are really two different people?? Gosh, does Boo Boo know this?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 12:28 pm
Boo Boo is also smarter than the average bear; I bet he's caught on by now.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cavolina

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 08:04 am
Seriously,

Has anyone taken the time to try to follow the money this government has spent since Reagan took office in 1981. It seems that, with the exception of Clinton, the past 25 years have been controlleed by those spend and spend conservatives who know better.

The money in question is somewhere in the 5 or 6 trillion range and has just disappeared.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 08:20 am
It never disappears. It gets spent / given to their cronies.

Bush got a lot of support from the Christian right.

Who gets money for programs to help the poor?

Churches.

Et cetera.
0 Replies

cavolina

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 07:53 am
BumbleBeeBoogie,

Since we hang out pretty close to each other, I'm up the hill in SF, we have a different perspective on the effects of oil on our economy.

As an ex-New Yorker, I remember the first oil "crisis" as a time when we walked or took abundant public transport to reduce the use of oil.

Out here in the vast openness of the West, there just isn't any reliable public transport to help cut costs.

There is a disconnect between the corporate types and the rest of us. Somehow they seem to believe that they can take as much as they can and it won't marginalize the rest of us. What they seem to believe is there is no end to what they can bleed out of the middle and lower classes.

That may be their achilles heel. Along with having Bush as their poster boy for unmigitated disdain, they may have caused us to wake up. It's a hope!
0 Replies