A bicycle ride to nowhere

PDiddie

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 06:35 am
http://www.bartcop.com/hon-cause-ass.jpg

MoDo already covered it in advance, but this foamy-mouthed rant from an editor at a cycling enthusiasts' magazine about the President's Crawford bike ride with Lance Armstrong is worth waking up early to:

Quote:
A few irate letter-writers have suggested that we keep politics out of cycling here at VeloNews.com, and we can see their points, once they've removed their Bush-Cheney 2004 caps. After all, the liars, cheaters and dopers infesting politics might teach cycling's liars, cheaters and dopers a few new tricks, and God knows it's already tough enough to tell who's on the up and up these days, no matter how much blood gets drawn or spilled.

Still, if the daily papers are going to cover the Recreationist-in-Chief's mountain-bike rides as though they were actually news, it's only right that cycling publications occasionally take note of his political shenanigans. Fair is fair.

And besides, if you snip the politics out of the much-ballyhooed weekend mountain-bike outing involving Bush and Lance Armstrong, you have no story at all, beyond two public figures scratching each others' backs, which is only notable if both are naked except for a little chocolate sauce.

Armstrong may be retired from racing, but he's still on the clock as an anti-cancer spokesman, and it's important to have the ear of the president on such matters, assuming he can keep it out of the dirt long enough to hear what Lance has to say on the topic.

http://www.buckfush.com/images/bush_Stay_the_Course.jpg

Quote:
Dubya is not retired, though he often acts like it. Especially this weekend, when he will spend a little time on our dime basking in the reflected glow of a Texan who is still popular with many Americans who are still alive. You can't buy publicity like that, though the White House has certainly tried. Hell, if I were Dubya, I would captain for stoker Barney Frank on a pink tandem, during a Gay Pride Ride, in prime time during sweeps week, if I thought it would draw the nation's eyeballs away from my misadventure in Iraq and Cindy Sheehan's slightly less stylish sojourn in the buzzworm-infested ditches outside my Crawford getaway.

So let's not kid ourselves here. This isn't about one good-ol' boy inviting another to drop by the ranch for a friendly ride. This isn't a case of two guys who may disagree on political issues burying their differences in the name of velo-sport. This is a photo op', what we in the news business call "a grip-and-grin," and it has as much to do with bicycling as the war in Iraq does with bringing an end to global terrorism. Armstrong is using Dubya for his cancer crusade, and Dubya is using Lance to make himself look like less of a heartless prick. End of story.

There's actually more after "end of story", and it's just as spicy as a habanero...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 755 • Replies: 9
No top replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 09:17 am
http://www.bartcop.com/sum-vac-ride.gif
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 10:01 am
I saw that story, P.D. and my heart was torn because I admire Lance Armstrong so much.

Yes, I suppose you are correct that both are using each other to advance a cause, but Armstrong's is certainly more worthy than that man on the bike who has ridden one too many without a helmut.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 10:12 am
Quote:
SAINT-ETIENNE, France -- Sen. John Kerry thinks Lance Armstrong would make a terrific politician -- but fears he'd be running for the other party.

Watching Armstrong during his warmup for Saturday's time trial, the Democrat from Massachusetts listed the Texan's winning qualities.

"What's made him so special at the Tour de France, and as an athlete, is the level of focus, discipline, intelligence, strategic ability and, obviously, his endurance -- his ability to just take it on and go," Kerry said.

Those qualities would serve Armstrong well in politics, Kerry said. But Armstrong is also friendly with fellow Texan George W. Bush.

"I think he'd be awesome, he'd be a force. I just hope it's for the right party," said Kerry, an avid cyclist and longtime fan of the Tour de France.
[...]

source: Associated Press, Jul 24, 2005, by John Leicester
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 10:58 am
I hope people around the country thank their personal diety everyday Kerry was not elected president...
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 11:29 am
McGentrix wrote:
I hope people around the country thank their personal diety everyday Kerry was not elected president...

Nearly 60 million people showed up to vote for George W. Bush on November 2, 2004.

The recognized that he represents their values and that John F. Kerry and the party he represents did and does not.

I'm sure nearly 60 million people give thanks every single day for Kerry's defeat. (He was in Vietnam, you know).
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 12:23 pm
I've been mulling getting a subscription to VeloNews. At 45 bucks for eighteen issues, it's not cheap. But this settles it. I'm subscribing today.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 01:19 pm
With Bush's plummeting approval ratings....

It seems like more and more Americans are asking their personal dieties for forgiveness and a way to get rid of this idiot they put in the White House.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 08:50 pm
"foamy-mouthed rant" Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 06:24 am
JustWonders wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Nearly 60 million people showed up to vote for George W. Bush on November 2, 2004.

The recognized that he represents their values and that John F. Kerry and the party he represents did and does not.

I'm sure nearly 60 million people give thanks every single day for Kerry's defeat. (He was in Vietnam, you know).

Talking 'bout absolute numbers: more than 60 million people showed up to vote for somebody else than George W. Bush on November 2, 2004.

I'm sure more than 60 million people are really pissed every single day about Bush's victory.

But then, that leaves 160 million people who either were not eligible or just didn't give a damn one way or the other...
0 Replies