A Prediction Regarding The Occupation of Iraq

anton

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 12:11 am
I believe the coalition of the willing will be out of Iraq before the end of 2006; they will not have established a democratic society because democracy cannot be forced on a people who have no idea what the principle is … It is becoming increasingly obvious that they will be leaving behind an Islamic state possibly under elements of Sharia Law and most certainly anti the USA … for that Americans will have Dubya and his neocons to blame.

Will the Iraqi people be better off than they were under the regime of Saddam Hussein? … I doubt it very much, Saddam a Sunni held the Shiite in check and he controlled the oil revenue but most importantly he reigned over a secular society that despised fundamentalism … needless to say he was a despot but the possibility remains that a despot will replace him. As I write the Kurds. Shiite and Sunni's are arguing over the composition of the new constitution … pressure from the US to present a draft by Monday 22 August is certainly not helping the situation which appears to be going into crisis.

The sad part of the whole Iraqi debacle is the deaths of the innocent men, women and children killed in the fighting need never have happened and those young men and women who died in the service of their country will have died for nothing?

George Bush Jr has a lot to answer for, as do the neocons Rumsfeld, Cheney, Wolfowitz and Parle ... my thoughts are with those young men and women who are in Iraq fighting to satisfy a whim of a fool.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 686 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 12:14 am
I think your forgot to discuss the important issue, WMD, that Bush gave as the reason for the invasion. If you look at any war ever fought, considering only the casualties, but not the reasons why it was fought, you reach the specious conclusion that it was a mistake.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 01:51 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
I think your forgot to discuss the important issue, WMD, that Bush gave as the reason for the invasion. If you look at any war ever fought, considering only the casualties, but not the reasons why it was fought, you reach the specious conclusion that it was a mistake.

Here we go again. Let's do something a bit different and see what happens. Leave aside for a moment the various reasons why the CoW invaded and occupied Iraq and instead concentrate on the post. In other words, deal with the argument rather than wander off down a well-trodden dead-end.

Can we pick up the argument and do something with it rather than simply repeat what can be found all over A2K. Where is anton wrong in his assertions? No use me arguing with anton because I agree with him so give it a shot and see if we can find something new.

Oh I nearly forgot my manners, welcome to A2K anton.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 07:56 am
Welcome to A2K anton,

I hope to God that you are right about getting out of Iraq by 2006. I am certainly doing what I can (i.e. strongly supporting the anti-war protests) to pressure the US administration into pulling out quick.

I am not as pessimistic as you are. I have never said that getting rid of Saddam Hussein ix not a good thing. That Saddam is gone certainly a very good thing. The reason I opposed the invasion and still oppose the war is that I believe we could have dealt with Saddam in a way with out such a great cost in lives and suffering.

Iraq belongs to the Iraqis. And when you are asking the question about what is better- the most important thing is what is better for the Iraqis. The majority of Shia (who are the dominant ethnic group in Iraq) seem to want a Shia led government with strong religious influence. A Shia-led government (even with Sharia law) will be better than Saddam.

The mistake in Iraq is that everyone is talking about what is best for the United States while violence, disruption and economic turmoil continue for the Iraqis. I don't think the Iraqis care one bit about what is best for the United States. It is their country and what they want should determine their future.

Let's talk about now. The solution is simple.

The US should withdraw troops in summer of 2006 and leave Iraq to the newly elected government. The US should stop screwing around with the constitutional process (which is the reason for the current occupation) and let the Iraqis form their own government.

The Iraqi government will take care of the insurgency as a normal civil insurgency (the anti-US part of the war will disappear with the US). Iraq will probably get support from Iran against the insurgency, but that is its right as a sovereign nation.

The problem is that the Bush adminstration thinks it has the right and the ability to control the outcome of Iraq. They want the ability to veto parts of the Iraqi constitution that the Iraqis want. They want to manage the relationship of Iraq with other coungties in the region.

If the Bush adminstration is willing to drop the idea that Iraq should be controled by the US, then the US can get out by next year.

I am worried that the theme of making a "pro-US" government by force is too entrenched in conservative thought to see the only sane outcome take place.
0 Replies

anton

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 05:51 pm
I am optimistic about an Iraqi withdrawal because I see the signs in rhetoric coming from those who delighted in what I believe they saw as the ultimate adventure; those powerful men that power corrupted … now they are back peddling because they realize public opinion is turning against them.
I am Australian who has lost respect for a US that I once held in high regard … as for American people I'm still with them, I believe we have a lot in common and they are not responsible for the sins of their leaders, I know there are many American's who disagree with their governments hegemonic push.

As for Iraq I totally disagree with the death and destruction that was and is being carried out against them … what right has any country got to invade another sovereign state?
Sure! Saddam was a despot, an evil ruler … there are many evil rulers in the world such as Zimbabwe's, Mugabe but I don't see the righteous GW Bush rushing in to bring democracy to the down trodden … that's probably because there is no oil in that country; if Saddam Hussein was still in power and the US had a more equitable foreign policy, that kept its nose out of the affairs of the Middle East, the world would not be under constant threat from fundamentalists … Prior to the illegal invasion of Iraq there was no such thing as a terrorist in that country and US sanctions killed more Iraqi's than Saddam Hussein.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 08:42 pm
anton wrote:
I am optimistic about an Iraqi withdrawal because I see the signs in rhetoric coming from those who delighted in what I believe they saw as the ultimate adventure; those powerful men that power corrupted … now they are back peddling because they realize public opinion is turning against them.
I am Australian who has lost respect for a US that I once held in high regard … as for American people I'm still with them, I believe we have a lot in common and they are not responsible for the sins of their leaders, I know there are many American's who disagree with their governments hegemonic push.

As for Iraq I totally disagree with the death and destruction that was and is being carried out against them … what right has any country got to invade another sovereign state?
Sure! Saddam was a despot, an evil ruler … there are many evil rulers in the world such as Zimbabwe's, Mugabe but I don't see the righteous GW Bush rushing in to bring democracy to the down trodden … that's probably because there is no oil in that country; if Saddam Hussein was still in power and the US had a more equitable foreign policy, that kept its nose out of the affairs of the Middle East, the world would not be under constant threat from fundamentalists … Prior to the illegal invasion of Iraq there was no such thing as a terrorist in that country and US sanctions killed more Iraqi's than Saddam Hussein.
If there were no terrorists then how come we found at least 2 of them as well as a training camp in the north of Iraq?
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 09:00 pm
Welcome as well!

It appears that the new Iraqi constitution will establish an Islamic Theocracy. So we have people fighting and dying for that? Yeah, Bush will be forced to pull out or he will be impeached.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 09:12 pm
Quote:
If there were no terrorists then how come we found at least 2 of them as well as a training camp in the north of Iraq?

Australia has discovered training camps here for terrorists as well but I'm pretty sure our government wasn't protecting or sponsoring them.
0 Replies

anton

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 09:56 pm
It does seem the Iraqi deliberations, regarding the new constitution, have arrived at a critical point with the Sunni's suggesting the possibility of civil war; it appears as though oil and religion are the critical factors … the Shia and Kurds have the Iraqi oil in their regions and they want the revenue from it, excluding the Sunni's.
The Shia, being the dominant group, want elements of Sharia law embedded in the constitution and the Iraqi Sunni's are more inclined towards secularism which was the policy of Saddams Hussein government.
Perhaps the coalition of the willing should get out of Iraq now and allow the Iraqi's to solve the problems we have created … let Saddam get back in control and he will sort out the country … Dubya's terrorists will be sent packing quick smart and if the US stops interfering, and trying to influence Middle East politics, we will all be able sleep without thoughts of terrorism blighting our lives.

Perhaps the British are to blame for creating Iraq in 1920 … what is occurring now with Shia, Sunni's and Kurds unable to agree on a new constitution reminds me of the ending in the old movie, "Lawrence of Arabia"… Lawrence just washed his hands on the Arabs inability to agree and walked away from them … he gave up?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/war/iraq/
0 Replies