Election 2024

Mame

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2023 12:40 pm
1. Do you think Trump has a chance at winning this election?

2. Do you think De Santis will throw his hat in the ring?

3. Who would be a better-suited, more likely to win, candidate?

4. If you had a chance to vote on a Republican to run, who would you like it to be?

jcboy

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2023 09:42 am
@Mame,
I don’t believe tRump will get the nomination. I predict it will be Desantis. My friends in Florida hate the man.

I’ve never voted Republican in my life but if I had to the only two I can think of would be Liz Cheney or Adam Kinzinger.
Mame

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2023 10:38 am
@jcboy,
Yeah, it seems like a lot of Republican lawmakers are turning against him, doesn't it?
jcboy

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2023 10:44 am
@Mame,
Oh yeah and his base is shrinking! Lets hope it's not Desantis, I don't believe he's any better then tRump.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2023 11:21 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

No. Trump fatigue is real in the Republican part.
Mame wrote:

Yes. Republicans look at Florida and see De Santis "winning". He'd be a fool not to run. The only reason he might not is he has complete control over the reins of power in Florida and he wouldn't have that nationally.
Mame wrote:

I don't think there is a better positioned Republican than De Santis, but Cristie might give him a run. Haley is an interesting candidate as well.
Mame wrote:

4. If you had a chance to vote on a Republican to run, who would you like it to be?

There is no Republican I would vote for if that is what you are asking. If you ask me to put money down on who is going to win the Republican primary, see comments above.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2023 11:43 am
Quote:

1. It's too early to tell. Anything could happen between now and primary season. I don't consider Biden a shoe-in by any means and I wouldn't be surprised if economic conditions, factionalism in the Democratic Party, or a series of missteps on his part undermine his chances.

2. Well, he's sure acting as if that's his intention.

3. I think MAGA still controls the GOP. Trump's base still loves him even if some wiser Republicans believe it's time to move on. All DeSantis has is his record – no one thinks he's personable. He's taken advantage of demographic trends in Florida and has used his legislative majority to push through an agenda which might just possibly too reactionary for many US voters to swallow.

4. I don't know of any Republicans whose views remotely align with mine – and if one did, they wouldn't be able to win one primary. We had one in Maine who was really good – and the party got rid of him. It's not that I'm a die-hard partisan. It's just that current Republican positions on important questions are diametrically opposed to my own. When have you seen a Republican who supports gun control, opposes the religious right, wants to address climate change, is pro-labor, believes in public education, would raise taxes on corporations and the wealthy, and thinks that government has a role to play in safeguarding and improving our lives?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2023 11:52 am
I'd like to rephrase question 4 -

If you had to have a Republican President, whom would you prefer it to be?

I would hate to see what DeSantis is doing in Florida to be done to the entire country, so I hope he's content with being a big fish in a little pond for the next few years.

Also, any thoughts on who should/could replace Biden?
hightor

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2023 11:59 am
@Mame,
Quote:
If you had to have a Republican President, whom would you prefer it to be?

Eisenhower
Mame

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2023 12:11 pm
@hightor,
lol okay. So you're saying nobody. Surely there's one decent one. Not saying you'd vote for them, just if you had to have one, who you'd be able to live with.

I'm also interested in who would be a decent Democratic President. Why has there not been a field of hopefuls?
hightor

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2023 12:46 pm
@Mame,
Larry Hogan – he isn't running.
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2023 01:32 pm
@hightor,

ditto Charlie Baker...
hightor

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2023 01:33 pm
@Region Philbis,
And engineer mentioned Chris Christie...
Mame

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2023 01:49 pm
@hightor,
I'm going to look him up. Thanks.

Edit: Well, he sounds strong and fearless, in the articles I read. And smart. And he sounded disgusted with Trump's presidential performance.

What about Chris Sununu? Reading his Wikipedia page, he comes across as a little unpredictable. Supporting LGBTQ rights, being pro-choice, but vetoing a bill that would prevent firearms carried onto school grounds.

He also sought to slightly reduce other taxes, and to institute student loan relief for those going into health care and social work.

Sununu has supported tax cuts for businesses and a reduction in property taxes. After the 2018 midterm elections, which gave Democrats control of the New Hampshire legislature, Sununu vowed to veto their proposal to create a broader state income tax, as well as several other new taxes and fees. Sununu signed a bill making it easier for medical facilities to be licensed to treat veterans.

And this has me flummoxed:
But in the aftermath of Trump's attempts to overturn the 2020 election, Sununu accepted Joe Biden's victory, and he has since become critical of Trump, once calling him "******* crazy". But Sununu has said he will still vote for Trump if he is the Republican nominee for president in 2024.
hightor

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2023 05:05 am
@Mame,
New Hampshire's property taxes are really burdensome so I'm not impressed with his "no new taxes" stand but, as with his tepid "support" of Trump, a halfway decent Republican has to tread very carefully around certain issues.
0 Replies

chrisb555

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2023 11:30 pm
as a republican, please no. His ability to ignore the media is favorable, but he is nutz now. I like a person who doesn't bend to the media, but they have to be sane.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2023 08:32 am
Clinton vs. Romney.
chrisb555

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2023 10:03 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
both were legit pols. I don't care about who which candidate screwed, but I do care about what they say to other world leaders and if they try to create a civil war outside the legislative process. Trump is about Trump. I voted for him. I liked his approach at first, then realized he's dangerous. As dangerous as Joe B. Only thing I like about about Joe is that he is supporting Ukraine against Putin (not the Russian people) and letting that idiot create his own demise. No big pressers and chest thumping, just support and let him self implode...I worry that this is just another Vietnam without the US troop numbers on the ground yet. All Politicians are worthless in our world. They lie, cheat, steal from us behind the scenes through vote bribes. I just want one who stands up for us...BUT...understands the consequences and trade space. Trump doesn't seem to understand that there is always a trade space of ideas and consequences once you insult him. He is too easily manipulated for my taste.
hightor

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2023 05:09 am
Anti-vaccine Robert F Kennedy Jr running for President

Quote:
One of the more virulent leaders of the anti-vaccine movement, Robert F Kennedy Jr, has filed paperwork to challenge Joe Biden in the Democratic primaries for President in 2024. Despite his anti-vaccine views, Kennedy has about the same chance of winning the nomination as a vaccine causes harm, which is nearly 0.

There are Kennedys that I might vote for in an election, but this Kennedy is clueless about vaccines and is delusional about his chances of unseating Biden. It may be just a method to raise money for his anti-vaccine cause.

I try to steer away from politics in my writing because others are better educated and experienced in writing on that. But when it comes to that area where anti-vaccine and politics overlap, like with Kennedy, I need to jump in headfirst.

Who is Robert F Kennedy Jr?

Although most of us who follow the anti-vaccine quacks are well aware of Kennedy, I just thought I would spend a bit of your time outlining his biography.

Robert F. Kennedy Jr is the scion of the Kennedy family — he is the son of Robert F Kennedy, who was assassinated while running for President in 1968, and nephew of President John F Kennedy, who was also assassinated.

Before he began his anti-vaccine career, he became strongly involved in environmental law. Despite his anti-science beliefs about vaccines, he follows the science on environmental issues like climate change. Like a lot of science deniers, he picks and chooses what science he accepts and rejects.

RFK Jr has a long history of campaigning against vaccines, because, as he tells it, some random woman claimed that her son’s autism was caused by mercury in a childhood vaccine. Of course, “mercury” (actually, thiomersal which is not equivalent to mercury) hasn’t been in vaccines for decades, and the vast body of real science has again and again and again shown that vaccines are not linked to autism.

To push his anti-vaccine beliefs, he set up “Children’s Health Defense,” an organization that pushes all kinds of false information about vaccines and files lawsuits to further its anti-vaccine agenda.

In 2021, he was named one of the “Disinformation Dozen” by the Center for Countering Digital Hate, a British non-profit that tracks conspiracy theories and misinformation across the globe.

Recently, the New York Post investigated Kennedy’s moneymaking activities about vaccines and came up with some amusing numbers.

Let’s take a look at Kennedy’s income, all related to his anti-vaccine bunk:

• He earned $345,561 in 2020 as the chairman of his anti-vaccine organization, Children’s Health Defense. This is a huge pay raise of more than $90,000 over his 2019 salary. Obviously, I am on the wrong side of the vaccine discussion, and I should sell my ethics and become an anti-vaccine shill since it is much more profitable. Probably not.

• Kennedy also made $116,683 in 2019 as president of the Riverkeeper Alliance, an environmental charity to clean up the Hudson River. I don’t begrudge him that, because despite how despicable he is about vaccines, I am way over on his side with respect to the environment. I am just mentioning this because he’s not exactly short of cash.

• But now we come to where he’s raking in the cash, his anti-vaccine diatribe, “The Real Anthony Fauci: Bill Gates, Big Pharma, and the Global War on Democracy and Public Health,” which has sold 390,000 hardback copies at $32.50 each, according to NPD BookScan, plus 185,000 e-books and 142,000 audiobooks since its Nov. 17 release. According to the New York Post, “Authors typically receive 20 to 30 percent in royalties on hardcover sales, which would translate to a windfall of $2.5 million to $3.8 million for Kennedy, plus additional money from any advance and e-book sales, but it’s not clear how much the author has earned.”

Anti-vaccine Kennedy should not be President

Let me count the ways why Kennedy should not get the Democratic nomination and, if he received that, then the Presidency. Again, I know there is a nearly 0% chance of this happening, but I want to remind the reader why they should not consider voting for this person.

1. Kennedy begged Donald Trump to be the nation’s Vaccine Czar. Although it never happened, it’s difficult to resolve the contradiction of a so-called liberal Democrat getting warm and cozy with Trump.

2. Kennedy is no liberal. Although both liberals and conservatives were pro-science just a generation ago, it is no longer so. Kennedy may be pro-science when it comes to climate change, but he is scientifically and medically wrong when it comes to the science of the safety and effectiveness of vaccines.

3. Despite being a lawyer, Kennedy has no clue about patents. He thinks that the CDC profits from its patents and that’s why it can’t be trusted about its vaccine policies.

4. Kennedy is completely wrong about the HPV vaccine. Here are the basic facts about the vaccine — the vaccine is extremely safe and could prevent over 43,000 cancers a year.

5. Kennedy doesn’t understand the constitutionality of vaccine mandates.

6. RFK Jr is wrong about Dr. Paul Offit.

7. The Kennedy family, actual real liberals who wouldn’t be caught within 100 km of Donald Trump, strongly and publicly rebuked RFK Jr for his anti-vaccine viewpoints.

I could go on and on about Robert F Kennedy Jr and his vaccine beliefs. But he’s clueless about everything to do with vaccines, inventing false claims out of the thin air just to push his anti-vaccine agenda.

I know he has no chance of getting the nomination, but I also thought the same thing of Trump in 2016 (which is why I don’t write about politics). I don’t know why he thinks he has a pathway to the White House in that he’s way too liberal for Republican voters and he is loathed by Democrats. Maybe he’s angling to be a VP candidate for Trump or someone. Or he’s so full of himself that he thinks he can do it.

Please, don’t vote for this crackpot anti-vaxxer.

skepticalraptor
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2023 05:49 am
https://i.imgur.com/MGrj6Aa.png
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2023 05:52 am
@hightor,
It's such a shame that RFKjr has wasted his credibility and political currency on his misconceptions to detriment of all the good he could be doing.
0 Replies