Has anyone ever published or tried to publish a book?

spidergal

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 02:05 am
Oh Osso, Better luck next time
Never Say Die!
0 Replies

iamsimplytammie

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 10:29 am
i've started several.. perhaps dozens of books
but after about the 5th chapter or so i can't write any further
i think this is because around my fifth chapter everything i write seems beyond important to the entire storyline
everything is in my head... in images... flashes of color
but i have a really hard time putting it down in words
i think i have a problem planning out my books.. but i do a great deal of planning, including in-depth character analysis's, outlines for the current chapter i'm working on, as well as nth number of pages with random ideas that pop into my head
to people who have completed novels...
how did you do it?
i mean... welll sometimes i can just sit down at a computer and type for hours and hours
but i can't spend all my time writting
i'm only a sophmore in highschool with decent writting ability and an overactive imagination
as well as a part-time job at the family corner store and several of hundreds of hours babysitting my cousins

tips??
helpful hunts?
they'll be immensely appreciated
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 12:08 pm
Read as many novels as you can. You're young. You have time. You have time.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 12:18 pm
welcome to able2know, tammie !
i've never written a book myself . i have read a number of books written by writers explaining about the difficulties of witing . i remember a british writer who wrote that he literally starved for twenty years before finally being able to write a book that he was able to have published . check with your librarian and ask for books written by writers describing their own struggles in writing; perhaps it'll help you understand the difficulties . good luck ! hbg
0 Replies

maggie2

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 05:40 pm
Hi, everyone,

I'm new here but thought I might as well jump in and answer this question. I have been published by two different publishers and also have self-published four books. I am just now doing a POD (Print-on-demand) book for the first time.

Two of my self-published books did well and the other two did okay. The two that did well were picked up by a publisher and published in French. One book I wrote strictly for a publishing house and it did okay.

I'll let you know how the POD thing goes.

One thing I have to say is that if you self-publish you need to do a lot of marketing and publicity. However, be aware, if you publish with a traditional publisher, unless you're Steven King or someone like that they don't do any publicity for you either.

If you have any other questions I'd be glad to answer them.
0 Replies

iamsimplytammie

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 10:39 pm
thanks for the advice

i do actually read a lot.. well over 400 books since the seventh grade

but i haven't read much lately

i'll take your advice to heart and take up reading again
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 01:24 pm
my friend has had his book printed and bound privately . it's essential a collection of very short stories about growing up in rural canada during the dirty thirties. it is mainly for his family. he's had fifty copies printed and bound so far .
it's a large folio-size (appr. 9 x 12) bound in linen and with gold(?) imprint on the cover. it cost him about can$ 70 per copy; quite a high price , i think, but he's very happy to see "his baby" completed. ...and i guess that's what counts in the end. hbg
0 Replies