Has anyone ever published or tried to publish a book?

Ray

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 09:47 pm
Has anyone ever tried to publish a book? Did you self-publish or had a publisher to do it for you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,720 • Replies: 46
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 09:59 pm
I know a few people who are published. Most used an agent. My mother is a published author, but she worked for a university and was published by the university press. I only know one self-published. She wrote and illustrated a children's story and has sold it at various events. She talks about putting it up on the web for download with a paypal payment, but I don't think she has gotten to it yet.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 10:11 pm
Several a2k members have published but they aren't always tuned in to the site.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 02:46 pm
Quote:
I know a few people who are published. Most used an agent. My mother is a published author, but she worked for a university and was published by the university press. I only know one self-published. She wrote and illustrated a children's story and has sold it at various events. She talks about putting it up on the web for download with a paypal payment, but I don't think she has gotten to it yet.

Cool. e-publishing is still young, but it might be big one day, though you can't really carry it around.

Quote:
Several a2k members have published but they aren't always tuned in to the site.

really?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 02:48 pm
I've wrtitten the books and people have read them but I have no real ambition to publish...except when the bills roll in.

Maybe some day.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 03:02 pm
Never a book only articles. Several siblings and many friends have published books and it seems better to go with an established publisher. It can sometimes be a hassel but you end up with a better product.

Editors are close affines if not consanguines of the devil Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Herema

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 06:59 pm
ah....well....if anyone considers PublishAmerica a publisher (personal experience sheds doubts here)....I am published.

title: Embraced by the Wind: The Incomplete Works
type: Short stories and poetry, 359 pages
Published May 23, 2005 by PublishAmerica

After the nightmare first experience with attempting to get published, I am now writing and aging the novels in my computer and on the shelf until I gain enough knowledge about the publishing industry for proper, "real" publishing. I will be writing from now on, but won't feel truly published until....well...you know.

So far, I have one completed fiction novel ready for publishing and 14 more started. I love it!!!!

Yes, self-publishing is a consideration (with a true self publishing and reputable company such as BookMasters)
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 10:09 pm
That's great Herema. Good luck on getting those published. It's so complicated.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 10:11 pm
I tried to help a fella- we ended up at BlueDog or something dog. He's trying to get out of the selfpublish deal, looks like it's going to take some time to get out. He's never sold a single in almost 15 months.
0 Replies

Herema

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 05:52 am
oh that sounds discouraging about your friend...but when I hear people tell me to get a life, do something real and quit waiting tables while dreaming and writing books.....I just remember that even if there is a one percent chance to make it, I will give it my all!!! So, tell your friend that learning even by making a few mistakes is gaining wisdom that we never get by setting on our laurels.

So far my book is now in Canada, Wales UK, Washington, Utah, Iowa, Florida, Arkansas, NC, NY, OH, and now being put into a university in MD (if all goes well), and many other locations. So, even though my publisher is a schmuck, I have already done my work before the book went to print. My insurance agent even bought a copy and is promising to buy another for her daughter for Xmas. I am bragging a little...sorry...but what my intent is that we have to make ourselves known. No one knows until we tell them that we have a book.

True self publishing is wonderful if you have the money and time to invest in it. Stay away from vanity, cheap (but with a price), subsidy publishers.....if the deal sounds too good to be true....it is!

This is a wonderful topic here!!! This is why I first came to Able2know.....to learn as much as possible about publishing ins and outs. Thanks!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 06:11 am
I did e-publishing for several "How to's" based on my business knowledge, and sold on ebay. Can't really do that with stories and poems.

Made a decent monthly income from the "How to's" though. Never got around to putting them on Clickbank, which would have been even more income. But, Clickbank is more for information publishing than short stories, too.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 06:58 am
A publisher will see to it that a book gets a proper edit and real distribution. Self publishers are essentially on their own and rarely sell many copies.
0 Replies

Herema

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 08:06 am
Short sweet and to the point.....good in some cases. But when it comes to the publishing industry......nothing is so simple.

A "true" self publishing company produces books by contracting to the author, who actually becomes the publisher. In this case, the author keeps the rights to the book, including publishing rights, and all secondary rights. Yes, the author, now a publisher, must do most of the selling, promoting, and getting their work on the market. If the company is reputable and established with the author's best interests at heart (after all that is where the printing company gets more money), then there will be a great working relationship between author and company. BookMasters has full services of editors, illustrators, quality binding and a "buy back" policy for major book sellers. They are expensive, but the profits for each book are greater for the author. Time is sacrificed in selling rather than writing the next book, but the product is quality. Self published books are sold in major companies if the quality of writing and printing measure up.

When self publishing, a book must be sent to the B&N or major companies acquisition department for review. They can either accept or reject. Include the self-addressed return postage if you want your book back.

PublishAmerica promotes themselves as a real publisher. These are the companies that hook a new author in the moment of anxious desire for getting a book out with a publishing contract which ties up publishing rights for seven years, produces inferior quality, refuses buy-back from major companies which makes it difficult to sell a book in B&N etc. They also do minimal to promote a book and even want to sell you a book on how to sell your own book. Their editing staff seems to have no concept of editing, proofing, or layout of a manuscript. I have the proof of this accusation. Calling them editors is an insult to the title.

Sorry, just doing a little venting here. But, when we learn something the hard way, it is nice to share so others will not fall into the same trap. PublishAmerica is great for someone who has some notes, diaries or want to go the easy way to get a book printed without all the hassle of obtaining an agent, or, if they only wish for one book to be published, not for serious writers. But to be successfully published, after it is all boiled down, seems to be the hardest method......traditional publishing through an agent and major publisher. Agents? Now there is another topic completely!!!! (http://www.anotherealm.com/preditors/pubagent.htm)

There is a joke about the difference between a writer's heaven and hell being that they are both chained to their typewriters (computers) forever, but in heaven they get published.
0 Replies

Herema

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 08:13 am
ps....just a quick note in response to Squinney....

e-publishing is great for what you have...but I agree it is not good for novels and stories and poems. If a company is not willing to have in the contracts to not produce e-books of my work, then I refuse to sign it. Even PublishAmerica changed their contract to reflect my refusal to give them rights to produce my work electronically.

I write books, not information manuals. Information produced in e-format is wonderful and I am very thankful for the information I have found through my computer search engines.

thanks for sharing
0 Replies

aspiringwriter

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 01:29 pm
When I'm done with my fantasy novel, I wanna try to get it published. I have no idea how though. Very Happy. I guess I'll worry about that when the time comes. But even if I do, someone told me that if you are too young, they don't even look at your work Sad.
0 Replies

Herema

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 03:13 pm
what about being too old? Age only counts if you are a wine or a cheese. Writing is the easy part.....and if you are young, you have time on your side. Don't give up! Just write another book and another and another............

teehee yerself Smile
0 Replies

aspiringwriter

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 03:21 pm
I have a question. Will editors or publishers ever try to make you add romance into your story? I hate writing about romance because it totally messes up my style.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 05:10 pm
aspiringwriter--

Quote:
But even if I do, someone told me that if you are too young, they don't even look at your work .

Any manuscript you submit will be judged on the merits of the story, not by the age of the author.

In the pulp fiction world (of which fantasy is once category) books are not accepted if they need major rewriting of any sort. If your novel lacks romance, sobeit. Many novels are just fine without romance and romance is not required for publication.
0 Replies

aspiringwriter

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 06:34 pm
Whew. That's good. I really don't like writing about romance. It leaves me with a very weird and somewhat dirty feeling.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 06:55 pm
Wow, thanks for the info Smile

Does anyone have any advice on where to go to have your writing 'reviewed'?

I haven't published anything; except for writing in small-time newspapers.
I have a lot of pieces hanging around. I write constantly.

I am fresh meat when it comes to the world of publishing.

Can anyone help me to avoid going to the wrong sources?
I do not make a lot of money, and I am not enrolled in university or college.

Thanks!
0 Replies