Has anyone ever published or tried to publish a book?

Noddy24

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 08:20 pm
Try:

http://writersdigest.com/

http://www.writersmarket.com/index_ns.asp
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 11:18 pm
There's a writing competition in that link. You have to pay though...
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 12:47 am
My cousin is currently trying to get a book published. He told me that a good way to start is to get an agent. To get an agent, you have to write a pitch letter, which is basically a one-page or one-paragraph (I can't remember which he said now, but I think it's one-page) sales pitch to the agent, telling them why this book will sell, what it's about, what makes it unique and marketable, etc. After that, if an agent likes your pitch letter, they will ask you for the first three chapters. And after that, if they like it, they start shopping your story around for you.

He told me that getting a literary agent is the most feasible route to getting published, because they have the contacts and can get your book to the right people. Also, acquisition editors have only so many books that they can even consider for publication, and unsolicited submissions by unknown writers are highly unlikely to even get seen at all in most cases.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 02:07 pm
Try publishing excerpts in magazines first as a litmus test. Read what newly published authors in your genre are writing. Novel contests abound. Check out Poets and Writers online; they advertise contests.
Often it is a long road of trial and error before it's time to think about an agent. A good first novel sells around 4,000 copies, usually small press. Not big money, so a publisher will want to see some credentials before betting on you. But who knows? Maybe you're the next Salinger. Mabye you'll be lucky. For everyone else, it's a long hard road you follow only because you love words.
0 Replies

zeroh

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 01:32 pm
do you think someone with no real writing experience, can go out and write a book, and get it published?
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 02:41 pm
You need wrting experience to write well. It is possible to have published nothing, and with enough talent write a great book. Publishers publish great books. Then again, sometimes great books don't get published.

Your best bet is to write as much as you can, and have fun doing it. Read a ton!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 03:03 pm
Quote:
do you think someone with no real writing experience, can go out and write a book, and get it published?

Several hundred "first" books are published every year--and every author in the Amazon catalogue has written a "first book".
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 03:59 pm
First books and first publications are not the same thing. And experience does not always come in the form of publishing novels.
0 Replies

Herema

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 06:07 pm
writing experience is not the same as writing ability....

Many wannabe writers can get experience in some form or another. Writing ability is that talent where experience pays off even if it is a first time experience. The gift of language command, the ability to use words to touch the reader, to put the reader where the author was when writing, is where the difference lies between experience and talent. Many talented writers never get recognized for there abilities because they lack the passion for the talent they possess. Others, because of their passion, learn to develop a command of the language through determination. Either way, it takes a passion to eventually become successful....or being in the right place at the right time knowing the right person in the right place.....like Harry Potter....LOL

Also, life gives most writers the experience needed to be successful. Getting a book published is more difficult than writing it or editing it.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 07:04 pm
a good friend of mine has written several hundred pages of growing up in canada during the thirties - his own story. he has also made quite a few pen-and-ink scetches. he is not considering publishing the book; he just wants to make a few copies for family and friends.
he's only got a stand-alone computer. he is not on the internet and doesn't want to connect - he's afraid of viruses destroying his work (that's true !).
his problem is trying to find software that would allow him to integrate his drawings - which are separate in his system at the moment - into the text. i've tried to help by looking for software that would allow him to get the book "including the scetches" print-ready. i've had no luck finding a suitable piece of software for this.
he's spoken to the people at "staples" - who have printed a plain book for him, without scetches, but they couldn't help him.
anyone have suggestions where to find software for home-publishing ? hbg
0 Replies

Herema

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 07:27 pm
sure...but the software is not cheap.

Adobe publishing software, Quark (sp?), and even Microsoft Publisher can used scanned pics to put the graphics into the text.

Actually, the publisher I used for my first book is really not so bad for those who wish to get a single book printed and only have a few "out there" and have little ambition for becoming a "writer." They do not charge for publishing and actually do NO real editing of a person's work.

As far as being safely on the internet.....I am here...and I have fourteen books started on my computer. I back up my files on a regular basis...and have paid anti-virus, anti-spyware and three firewalls. These keep me from some routine tasks, but are well worth the security. I have had little problems so far. Temporary copyrights are attainable, and I print out hard copy and hand carry to the LOC when completed.

Oh...speaking of the LOC...that makes me wonder....each time I have registered something with them for copyright, I get emails from vanity and subsidy publishers wanting me to bite the baited hook. So? Is nothing safe anymore? They tell me they know I have a book copyrighted with the LOC. (?????)

Good luck to your friend, hamburger

ps...I like your signature
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 08:10 pm
herema, thanks for your advice !
i'll speak to my friend next week and see if he wants to persue it. i've tried to convince my friend that he really need not worry much about security, but ... no luck !
(my signature refers to my birthplace : hamburg - so i can claim to be a true "hamburger" or i could have called myself "elbe-boy" since i was born near the elbe-river). hbg
0 Replies

Herema

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 08:24 pm
hamburg, germany? My son was born in Augsburg.

I like Canada....been there a couple of times.

what I like about your "signature" is the line that appears on each of your strings...like mine does...below that line.

but I like "hamburger" too..makes me hungry. LOL

I have the information and name of my publisher posted somewhere on this string, if you want to give your friend the info.

you can email me too, if you need more info and details (including the warnings...hee hee...about my publisher)

Ps....many publishing companies such as the one I had will accept only electronic submissions..which means attachments to email. This requires being on the internet. This company has a seven year contract....which is normal...I guess
0 Replies

zeroh

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 07:18 pm
I ask because I've been writing a book for a couple of months now, and I guess I'm glad with what I have so far. I have no real writing experience, and I feel my work isn't better than anyone else I know, so that sometimes discourages me. Plus I'm kind of young... I'm gonna finish this book, though... and if no one likes it, I'm going to keep it, and just work on it over, and over again till its... up to par.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 07:51 pm
herema : thanks much for your information. hbg

(john mortimer - rumpole of the bailey - is one of my favourite writers. while i've read most of his books, i always keep one or two of his "rumpole" books at my bedside. always like re-reading a few chapters - i can usually find a few new nuances even after having read a book several times)
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 08:46 am
Good luck Zeroh!

Just keep writing.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 11:42 pm
Ummm....This thread is something that really interests me as I am a write myself.

The first step in getting an agent is to prepare a synopsis of your novel.

A synpsis is no more than 1500-2000 words. That is a document where you summarise your novel according to chapters.

I will have more to say after a while.....

I may not have published a book but I have a good number of credits with magazines and considering the fact that I am only 18, thats good

After my semis are over, I'll start working on my first novel. I;ve already figured which publishers I have to target.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 09:27 am
18? That is good. Because it is a very very long road, you'll find.
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 07:02 pm
My dad has had three books published . . . but they are law books, so it might be different.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 08:40 pm
I have, or have had, since it's been a while, a letter of intent from a respected small architectual publishing company after I submitted an, oh, seven? nine? page explanation of what I was working on.

'Tis me that has failed to follow through, life intervening.

I ain't dead yet, though.
0 Replies