$300 lost due to someone else's fault

Almi

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2023 12:43 pm
I owed a business man $400 in total.
I transferred $100 via Zelle to the cell phone number that he provided me with, and he notified me that he had received the money. I then transferred $300 to the very same account. However, he did not receive the $300. After some days, and because I needed the service, I transferred again $300 to another cell phone number that he provided me with. Up to this point, I was sure that there was an error at the bank’s side, as the first transaction to the very same contact details ($100) had worked out, according to him.
However, when we went to the bank together, it turned out that the cell phone number he had initially provided me with was wrong. Accordingly, he hadn’t received the $100 in the first place (but had just said so, for whatever reason).
We tried several options to get the $300 back (calling the person who had accidentally received the money, trying a Zelle recall, etc.), but none of this worked out.
Bottom line is that I lost $300 for reasons that were only on the recipient’s side. I said– well, mistakes happen, this time it was yours, let’s simply share the loss (and refund me half of the money). Although this, I think, was a very fair offer (honestly, if I was in his place, I’d have simply refunded the full amount of money) he ghosted me from this point on, despite many attempts of mine to contact him again.

Any thoughts about my options now?
- There’s probably not a simple option to get the money back in any legal way?
- Should I simply accept the loss of $300 and take it as a lesson (be careful paying over Zelle even if you’re told that it worked out the last time)?
- Should I go after him (a bit), and write, e.g., a negative google review for his business etc.?

Happy for any ideas on this dilemma!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 716 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Almi

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2023 01:11 pm
@Almi,
... any recommendations?
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2023 01:22 pm
@Almi,
What can you do if you sent money to a stranger by mistake?
Quote:

File a police report: If you’ve contacted your bank and the recipient and there is a large amount of money at stake, you may wish to contact your local police department. As we’ve seen in other cases, some recipients are unwilling to send the money back for fear of becoming the victim of a scam. Your local police department may be willing to help facilitate the peaceful return of your money.

Contact an attorney: If you’ve sent a giant wad of cash to a stranger who won’t give it back, you may need to involve a legal team who can advise you further. Of course, legal guidance can be quite expensive and complicated. Remember that when you set out to make your next cash app transfer. This type of mistake is easily avoidable if you use caution during all transactions.

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2023 11:41 pm
@tsarstepan,
Contacting an attorney for $300 is a joke, they ask more money per hour than that. A police report would be much better since Almi has the cell phone number. I usually pay via Venmo and don't know how Zelle works, but I would try the police first.
jcboy

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2023 06:37 am
@CalamityJane,
I bank with Chase and I pay everything online, when I go to pay bills it says "Pay bills and send money with Zelle" I've never had any issues.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2023 01:59 pm
@jcboy,
Yeah, I pay everything online too, but never with Zelle.
For friends, family or yoga classes etc. I use venmo to transfer money.
jcboy

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2023 02:17 pm
@CalamityJane,
Yeah I think the OP went straight through Zelle, through my bank if I were to set up a new Payee it asks for a lot more than just a phone number. I used venmo a couple of times when I bought a couple of paintings through a friend, his artwork was just okay but he needed the money for college so I bought two from him.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2023 04:39 pm
Using my Chase bank account, I’ve used Zelle a few times with no problem. I had to make sure that I got the phone number correct and correctly put their email in as well. I may have added the payee but not as a regular repeat payment.
0 Replies

Almi

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2023 11:09 am
@tsarstepan,
Thanks for answering!
Yes, I tried to contact the person who accidentally received the money - but she ghosted me in the end. (Maybe she wasn't sure this was scam, maybe not; I don't know.) I'm not sure if filing a police report against the recipient is helpful - as this person didn't do anything wrong; she just received money from a stranger.

The mistake actually was made by the intended-to-be recipient - as he (repeatedly) gave me the wrong Zelle number.
So, I think, he should come up for the loss - but I don't know how to get him to.
0 Replies

Almi

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2023 01:43 pm
So actually, my point is less in going after the (wrong) recipient, but trying to hold the businessman accountable who gave me the wrong contact details for the transaction in the first place.
But I'm not sure how to pressure him - any ideas? Negative google review, etc.?
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2023 03:15 pm
@Almi,
You said: "I transferred $100 via Zelle to the cell phone number that he provided me with, and he notified me that he had received the money. I then transferred $300 to the very same account. However, he did not receive the $300."

He received the $100 from you and you transferred another $300 to the same cell phone number which means he must have received it if indeed it's was sent to the same phone number. My guess is that he was dishonest and he tried to get another $300 out of you and gave you (by mistake) the wrong phone number.

I highly doubt that he will repay you since he's defrauded you already the first time. You can chalk it up as a costly lesson to be learned or you can talk to your bank and explain to them that with the same phone number he did receive $100 but claims to have not received the second payment of $300 and ask the bank how this could be possible if it's the very same phone number. Perhaps the bank can follow up on the payments and get you proof that both were received and with that you can demand the $300 back or you can ask your bank to refund you the amount if there was an error made in the transfer.
0 Replies

Almi

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2023 08:02 pm
No, he didn't receive the $100 in the first place (he just wrongly told me so, for whatever reason - maybe he was just to busy and lost track on his account).
Actually, we went to the bank together - and there only it turned out that he hadn't received the $100 (and the $300).
So, unfortunately, there was no error on the bank's side - and that's why they refuse to refund me. The only error was on the recipient's side - but I don't know how to hold him accountable for that.
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2023 12:26 pm
@Almi,
The reason for him acknowledging the first $100 while he hadn't gotten it, is indeed bizarre. I really would take him to small claims court. Yes, it's a nuisance for you, but it's the principle that counts here. He shouldn't get away with it and you're out the money due to his lie.
0 Replies