Poll: Happy Holidays 2022! Doing anything special for the holiday season?

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2022 08:57 pm
Hi. Happy Holidays 2022!

I don't know if anyone here celebrates Kwanzaa and/or Hannukah, but if so, what is that like?

I don't celebrate Hannukah because I'm not Jewish and Kwanzaa goes against my beliefs as a Christian.

I'm not really doing anything special for Christmas. I'm going to speak to some relatives over the phone, contact some people I know online and get some work done.

I don't really do anything special for New Year's except watch the Ball drop at Time Square.

What about you? Are you doing anything special for the holiday season?

Please help. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,770 • Replies: 22
No top replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2022 09:10 pm
@JGoldman10,
One thing I'm not doing is asking insensitive questions in a clumsy manner.

If you are serious, maybe google Kwanzaa and then ask informed questions respectfully.

I will help you get started without you coming off as a cultural tourist with an Instamatic and a goofy grin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwanzaa

izzythepush

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2022 05:33 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I don't celebrate Hannukah because I'm not Jewish and Kwanzaa goes against my beliefs as a Christian.

Yet you happily celebrate the birthday of the Roman War god Sol Invictus, born 25th December.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2022 08:53 am
@izzythepush,
Born during the celebration of Saturnalia.

Io, Saturnalia, Izzy!

Actually built a Saturnalia Altar for my Latin IV class many years ago.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2022 08:56 am
@bobsal u1553115,
There was a celebration down the road at 'Henge but I was on my way to Gatwick airport at the time.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2022 01:27 am
@bobsal u1553115,
How Bob. How are you? Did you have a nice Christmas?

How was my question "insensitive"?
Real Music

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2022 02:10 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:

If you had left that sentence out, your post would have been fine.
Real Music

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2022 02:31 am
Happy Holidays, Smile

Merry Christmas, Smile

Happy Hanukkah, Smile

Happy Kwanzaa, Smile

and Happy New Year. Smile
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2022 03:05 am
@JGoldman10,
I wish you well.
And Happy Holidays.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2022 11:04 am
@JGoldman10,
It's about the sort of Christian you are.

This isn't just about Christians but all religious groups including Atheists.

There are those who try to reach out to others, who see that the most important thing is what unites us.

Then there are those who use their religion to accentuate the differences, divide everyone into sheep and goats, create an us and them. In it's most extreme form it is a cult.

The fall in the latter category, you assume your religion makes you superior to others and that by even studying such festivals will contaminate you somehow.

It's particularly offensive how you dismiss Kwanzaa as 'going against your beliefs,' while Hannukah is fine, you're just not Jewish.

What you're implying is that there is something about Kwanzaa you find offensive, but you won't even specify what that is.

It is all the more concerning considering your history of victim blaming towards those who have darker skin than you.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2022 06:50 pm
@Real Music,
Hi. I hope you had a nice Christmas. Yes, I could have left that sentence out but I wasn't going to lie.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2022 06:51 pm
@izzythepush,
Hi. I hope you had a nice Christmas.

Kwanzaa is a racist, separatist festival that is rooted in Black Nationalism. It's anti-Christian.

I recall doing research on it a few years back.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2022 07:58 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
I don't know if anyone here celebrates Kwanzaa and/or Hannukah, but if so, what is that like?

1. Are you asking A2kers what's it like to celebrate Kwanzaa?
2. If so, why are you asking the question?
3. Do you want others to share with you what's it like to celebrate Kwanzaa?
3. Or do you want to denigrate Kwanzaa?
4. I'm just trying to figure out why are you asking people who celebrate Kwanzaa "What' it like?"
5. Remember, you are the one who chose to ask the question "What's it like?"
6. If someone shares with you their answer to your question, do you plan on denigrating what they share with you?
Real Music

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2022 09:38 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:

What Is Kwanzaa and How Is It Celebrated?

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2022 09:47 pm
@JGoldman10,
I had a nice Christmas. Thank you.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2022 01:13 am
(Bible Scripture)

Philippians 2:3

Quote:
Philippians 2:3The New International Version (NIV)
Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves,

Philippians 2:3King James Version (KJV 1900)
Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.

Philippians 2:3New Living Translation (NLT)
Don’t be selfish; don’t try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves.

Philippians 2:3The New King James Version (NKJV)
Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself.

Philippians 2:3New Century Version (NCV)
When you do things, do not let selfishness or pride be your guide. Instead, be humble and give more honor to others than to yourselves.

Philippians 2:3American Standard Version (ASV)
doing nothing through faction or through vainglory, but in lowliness of mind each counting other better than himself;

Philippians 2:31890 Darby Bible (DARBY)
let nothing be in the spirit of strife or vain glory, but, in lowliness of mind, each esteeming the other as more excellent than themselves;

Philippians 2:3GOD’S WORD Translation (GW)
Don’t act out of selfish ambition or be conceited. Instead, humbly think of others as being better than yourselves.

Philippians 2:3The Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
Do nothing out of rivalry or conceit, but in humility consider others as more important than yourselves.

Philippians 2:3The New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)
Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility regard others as better than yourselves.

Philippians 2:3 The Lexham English Bible (LEB)
Do nothing according to selfish ambition or according to empty conceit, but in humility considering one another better than yourselves,

Philippians 2:3New International Reader’s Version (1998) (NIrV)
Don’t do anything only to get ahead. Don’t do it because you are proud. Instead, be free of pride. Think of others as better than yourselves.

Philippians 2:3New American Standard Bible: 1995 Update (NASB95)
Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves;

https://biblia.com/bible/esv/philippians/2/3
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2022 01:26 am
Philippians 2:3

0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2023 08:05 pm
@Real Music,
I was asking others who celebrate Kwanzaa what was their experience like celebrating it.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2023 09:20 am
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

Quote:

The stupid thing is... JGoldman has been here for 17 years. There are a ton of people who OPENLY CELEBRATE HANUKAH. And do so every year. Even if he's so isolated to his own threads (I can count the fingers on one hand and have three left over on the times I've seen him interact with people in other people's threads), there's no excuse he shouldn't realize that Jespah and so many other regulars are openly Jewish. Trying to get answers from him? Seems pointless. This is also a case in the arena. But kudos for trying.
Real Music

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2023 04:57 pm
@tsarstepan,
1. In the past, I have tried to encourage him to post on threads that other people have started.

2. I've even suggested specific threads, that I thought would interest him.

3. That way he wouldn't have to always wait for conversations and discussions to come to him on his threads.

4. Waiting for people to come to his threads, leaves him isolated.

5. It's hard for a person to grow when a person remains isolated.
0 Replies