Please explain this behavior at a Burger King

kbanes

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2022 09:26 am
Whenever I go to a certain Burger King drive through, I place my order and start to go to the drive up window. Before I get there, the window attendant sticks out their hand and has me stop prior to getting to the window. She yells that she will wave me up when it is time.
A few minutes later, I see someone bring her my food, she waves me up, I pay, get my food and leave.
I am assuming that there are timers running that let the corporation know how long a customer waits before getting food, and that this is a method to show better customer service response.
Is this correct?
Last might, I blew through the hand stop and pulled directly up to the window. They were not happy with me.
I was afraid that they wound up spitting on my burger, But I don't want to allow them to cheat on the analytics. All that does is make it possible for them to provide slow service.
Is this what is happening? I ratted them out to the BK customer service, but I don't expect them to do much.

engineer

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2022 09:38 am
@kbanes,
Analytics is an interesting hypothesis. That is not how I would set up drive thru monitoring (it would be from order time to car drive off time), so I propose some other possibilities.
- It could be that by holding you back, they hold back the entire line so that their order queue doesn't get large.
- They might have a problem with customers sitting at the window harassing the employees and are trying to minimize that.

It is telling that it is at a particular store and not consistent for all the stores in the area. The franchise owner might be interested to know one store is operating off script if you really want to complain to someone although any good franchise owner stops by his stores periodically and should have already noticed this. Having worked in fast food in my youth, I'm more concerned that trying to wave off cars from the window is not particularly safe.
kbanes

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2022 09:54 pm
@engineer,
I went back again tonight. There was no one ahead of me, so I quickly drove right up to the window.
The employee locked at me and asked mi if I could back up about a car length. I asked her why I would need to back up, and she told me "my numbers" while pointing at her POS screen. I asked her what she meant by "my numbers". She looked a little confused, then said that I could stay where I was. She closed the window.
There was only one car behind me when I left.
They are absolutely cooking the analytics.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2022 03:27 am
@kbanes,
Yet you keep going back there.
kbanes

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2022 08:49 am
@izzythepush,
Yes, I have gone there twice in the past week. Once, to get food, and the second time to get food AND to see if Corporate customer service was going to do anything about it.
I'm tired. I'm tired of companies using "Covid. We can't get good help." as an excuse to allow customer service to go into the toilet. And messing with the analytics is just another way to get out of providing decent customer service.
We are at this point because customers just accept rotten service and move on.
I'm not moving on. Burger King can't be expected to provide good customer service if they don't know that the analytics for a certain store are rigged.
I can certainly go back a few times to see if the experience improves. If it doesn't, I will quit going back. If it does, they maybe I have made life 0.00001% better for their customers.
Putz.
engineer

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2022 09:00 am
@kbanes,
Is this a corporate store or a franchise? If it is corporate, they might care, if not, you would need to notify the owner.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2022 09:46 am
@kbanes,
Sounds like you need to get a life, numpty.

Or maybe learn how to cook a burger, it ain't that difficult.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2022 02:28 pm
@kbanes,
kbanes wrote:

I'm tired. I'm tired of companies using "Covid. We can't get good help." as an excuse to allow customer service to go into the toilet.

Me too.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2022 03:00 pm
@izzythepush,
I gotta agree. Even if Banes is right, why is he mad at the workers who have a corproration underpaying them and expecting to work to a standard that by his own observation doesn't work well, even with a light business load.

As for his worry workers spitting in his food. People who worry about this are usually people who treat service people like crap and don't like getting a return ration.

BK is having problems right now, and a lot of it comes out of customer misperception and unrealistic expectations. MBanes is a poster child for this kind of crap from the public.
kbanes

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2022 07:55 am
@bobsal u1553115,
So, please, tell me what my "misperception and unrealistic expectations" are.

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2022 08:22 am
@kbanes,
You expect a perfect solution to problems that do not mean a blinking thing.

You want fast service where everything is transparent? Go to the counter. Quit looking for vengeance on people who have to deal with the unreasonable public like you, at wages you wouldn't work for, for bosses who have unrealistic performance standards.

Do you really think people need disciplining for your perceived loss of a couple of minutes?
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2022 09:32 am
@kbanes,
So, you floored your car to go 20 ft forward in the hopes you'd get your tasty burger that much more quickly. In a sad and confused manner, you still didn't get it "your way" after realizing some poor schlep has to actually assemble your fist-sized burger, hot fries that take 3 1/2 minutes to cook and dispense it all with a smile. All the while not acknowledging that the analytics you're speaking about still doesn't get you your food any faster regardless of where your vehicle is located.

Ah, it must be the downfall of mankind to realize fast food isn't so fast at all.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2022 09:35 am
@neptuneblue,
That's exactly how I meant it! Perfect!
neptuneblue

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2022 09:42 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Just don't ask for a milkshake. That's a 20 minute ordeal all on it's own!
kbanes

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2022 10:33 am
@neptuneblue,
You guys have no idea what I am talking about. I'm not mad at the person at the window. I'm mad at the store manager that short staffs the crew during peak hours. I'm mad that they have ONE Person working the whole store at 6:30 in the morning. I'm mad that the crappy actions of the store manager screws everyone.
But, thats OK. You are more than happy to let the manager get away with screwing his workers, as long as you can jump on the soapbox and complain about a customer having ANY KIND of expectation.
Your idiocy enables bad management. You are the one screwing the front line workers.
neptuneblue

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2022 10:42 am
@kbanes,
Peak hours is 6:30 am? You said yourself, you were the only one in line.

It seems you don't understand man-power hours. If a store only has one customer per hour, then it is staffed accordingly.

My expectation of Burger King is that I place an order, pay for it and then eat. Not sure how that ties into a manifestation of unhappiness.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2022 12:13 pm
@neptuneblue,
If they're actually blending it vs. tapping a milkshake machine, that's acceptable. I've been retired for 20 years!
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2022 12:15 pm
@kbanes,
Walking it back a bit, eh?
0 Replies

kbanes

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2022 01:03 pm
@neptuneblue,
If a store only has one customer per hour, then why are you open at that hour?
You are making arguments about things for which you have no personal knowledge. The morning trip at 6:30 was about 2 months ago. The employee, had 4 people in the drive through. (I was the fourth.) She would take an order, go cook the order, then come back and take payment, then deliver the order. Does that sound fair to her? No. (And any moron would know that.)
I understand manpower hours. If I only average 1 customer per hour, I don't open for that hour. And if you had any personal knowledge, you would know that they don't average 1 customer per hour. That is what is so easy about being a troll like you. To win the argument, all you have to do is make a point it is OK to understaff when you only haver one customer per hour. The problem is that you have no idea how many customers that they average at that hour. You can only win your point if you make up false assumptions.

You guys win. I didn't really expect this site to be populated with the very people that give customer service a bad name. But, so be it.
neptuneblue

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2022 01:16 pm
@kbanes,
To be fair, you're raging because you were asked to back up your vehicle. The employee did not specify the reason why, and you took her gesture at the screen to be a personal slight against you.

It seems to me that you need to exercise patience and show some compassion. In these anecdotes you've shared, you come out looking and acting very poorly.

Then you call me names. Must feel good to vent, huh? Too bad idgaf.

0 Replies