Colorado Republicans gamble away house majority

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 11:26 am
"From high-stakes gaming, to world class golf and outdoor activities, to unparalleled shopping, to some of the finest dining in the world. Las vegas has it all." So reads the web site of the American Legislative Exchange Council, a conference of conservative legislators in Las Vegas where 21 Colorado Republicans are taking a holiday. With the absences putting the party score at 30 Republicans and 28 Democrats in the State House. But wait there's more missing, several more of the GOP members were getting free massages from therapists set up at the Capitol--during a vote."
Rocky Mountain News 03/28/03
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 776 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Charli

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 10:06 pm
How's that again?
As a former Coloradoan ... Were these legislators in Vegas "during the vote"? No law against being out-of-state or absent from one's post while the legislature is in session? What do the folks in Colorado say? Their constituency? Gonna re-elect them just 'cause they're Republicans? What's to be done? CAN anything BE done?

What part of CO do you hail from? Are you "a native"? I am "a native" of southeastern CO. After HS, I lived in Grand Junction, Denver, Colorado Springs, and Durango. Maybe a few other spots. Later, home was in various states, Mexico, and ... Love the East Coast: My kind of place, my kind of people! All of them - EVERY kind. Good wishes - Charli :-)
[/color]
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 10:36 pm
yes it was a legislative work day, and the majority party had to table voting for the day else they would lose to the minority party.
i lived many years in Grand Junction but now live in Centennial (burb of Denver) Wink
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 11:02 pm
Charli I lived in the Junction too, born in Denver. Dys and I are forming a plan to grab out guns and head out of town to the western slope and blow up the road behind us if we need to. I am in Fort Worth, TX, now.

Very cool you got dancing Charlie finally in your signature Very Happy
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 11:04 pm
WOW! - IN CONTROL WITHOUT BEING IN ATTENDANCE?
Wow! That's a strange law that permits legislators to be in control without being in attendance. I don't understand how that works. Usually, whoever is there gets to have their say ... in most places. That's what keeps them hanging in till the wee small hours. Looks like Colorado's got a whole different set of rules. Republican rules? Or, do the Dems get to play that way, too? [/color] Confused Smile Smile
0 Replies