Ann Coulter: The Enemy Within

dlowan

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 03:11 am
Fine, Mamajuana, if you link her appearance to a critique of substance, then I have no issue - that was not done previously.

Williamhenry, I do not think that speculating whether Bill Clinton, or anyone else, wants to screw someone is a critique of substance.

And please do not use gayness as a playing card here, the screwability assessment tool was not introduced by me.

I don't wanna sleep with you, either, thank you, but I do not consider that a reasonable component of my critique of your argument. You, apparently, do.

As for it being unfair for me to critique your argument without seeing the woman, I would think that that gives me a somewhat useful distance from the detail, and a good view of the whole.

I will happily stop arguing for my case when you stop attacking me personally, rather than answering my arguments.

Useless conflict is not my favoured milieu.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 06:59 am
dlowan,
You enter this thread with no knowledge of who the hell it is of which we speak. You criticize people for the irrelevancy of their arguments. Then you express taking personal offense because you perceive peoples' responses to your words are unfair.

You'd have been two steps ahead just to choose another thread to grace.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 07:23 am
If it makes anyone feel better, I believe that Ann Coulter was born a male... :wink:
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 07:34 am
I have not, in fact, taken offense, personal or otherwise, Snood.
I merely note a means of attack. I am sorry that you consider an outsider view in this matter irrelevant and offensive.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 08:55 am
when discussing maggots, some may focus on their size, shape and colour while others may focus on their diet.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 08:59 am
LOL!
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 09:14 am
dyslexia wrote:
when discussing maggots, some may focus on their size, shape and colour while others may focus on their diet.

Indeed. I would venture to add that one should at least have seen the maggot before one attempts to define the parameters of a discussion about it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 09:17 am
Oh come on. If I see someone say "Scott is a big fat gay jerk and wears these really tight shirts so you can see his nipples and that really cheeses me off, why won't he stop??", I have no right to comment since I've never met Scott?

Mamajuana pointed out how Ann Coulter's sexuality is an aspect of her persona -- Williamhenry just said it is an aspect of her persona.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 09:25 am
Actually, Snood - I was commenting on discussion in general - and what may and may not be reasonable points of attack - Ann Coulter herself was not an especially important component.

I was attempting to have a meta-discussion.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 09:41 am
Okay, granted it probably was valid that you commented on the descriptions of coulter, rather than on Coulter herself.

I think some of my desire that the focus be on her is that I find her a singularly disgusting excuse for a human.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 09:53 am
As I said above, judging from the sample of her work given here, I would be in hearty agreement with you.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 10:30 am
BumbleBeeBoogie reminds you of the main objection
Hey, gang, don't forget that my objection to Ann Coulter and her ilk is that they use hate mongering to make money: book marketing, paid speaking and TV appearances, news opinion columns, etc.

Coulter spews hatred for the big bucks. I don't know if she actually believe the poison she spouts or if it is just one of her cashing in tools.

There are a number of female writers reflecting the politically conservative/right wing who write civilly and do not spout hate mongering. For example, Peggy Noonan is an excellent writer whose views I often disagree with, but I enjoy her writing style as a craft. Noonan also is blond and attractive, but she knows how to present herself as a female to enhance her credibility with the public rather than as a bimbo. Noonan's column's can be found at:
http://www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/pnoonan/
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 10:40 am
Just as a matter of interest - are there left-wing hate-spewers who also have a large audience and make money?

I suppose some would try to cast somebody like Michael Moore in such a role - but I think he clearly does not fit it!

I am trying to think of any such people here, on the progressive side of politics, and I cannot - while we do have very rich radio "shock-jocks" who would seem to fulfil a Coulter-type role.

Is such a person - at least one who makes big bucks - a feature of the right?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 10:58 am
left wing spouters?
Delowan, of course there have been left wing hate mongers, mostly in the past, especially during the most heated civil rights and Viet Nam war days. But today I find most left wing writers use humor (as Michael Moore does so well) to make their points. Other sites use satire and witty ironic parody humor to ridicule those which whom they disagree.

For example, The Onion at: http://www.theonion.com/onion3911/index.html

and the Betty Bowers Perfect Christian site at: http://www.bettybowers.com/

Perhaps that's why left wing commentators have not done as well on talk radio with their attempts to engage in rational fact-based discussion as right wing hate mongers. Those who are attracted to hate mongerers usually fail to use rational cognitive tools to understand facts and issues.

Please be reminded that I'm not referring to those who civilly disagree on political and other issues. I'm referring to those who benefit from and trade in perpetuating hatred.

BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 11:00 am
Indeed - I do understand that. Love the Onion!
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 11:10 am
dlowan wrote:
Williamhenry - and your point in relation to her JOURNALISM would be....?

dlowan
I shared your dismay at the personal attack on Coulter even as I sympathize with Williamhenry. . . Coulter is such a flagrant bomb-thrower.

I have read numerous intelligent well-reasoned posts by Williamhenry
and can only conclude that Coulter's shameful hate-mongering had driven him temporarily mad. I have, at times, come nearly to the same point with her.

Anger begets anger unfortunately, and hate begets hate.

One of our most difficult challenges as civilized, moral beings is, when faced with anger and hatred, and we feel our own visceral responses welling up, to subordinate our feelings to our reason and to our 'better selves'.

Sometimes we lose it . . . sometimes I lose it.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 02:59 pm
dlowan - a question. Obviously you have read a sample or two of Coulter's work. Have you ever watched and listened to her? There are many journalists whom we recognize as such without ever seeing them. And many others who regard themselves as op-editorialists, and are recognized as such - and all by their words.

The thing with Coulter - and others of her ilk - is that she insists on personal appearance. She's on a lot of the screaming talk shows, and she makes it a point to have her picture shown on much of her written stuff. That's why I consider her appearance to be part of the critique.

Molly Ivins, Maureen Dowd - to name two - are knowledgeable, clever, and witty, and their physical appearance is never a part of any discussion about their abilities.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 04:31 pm
dlowan wrote:
Fine, Mamajuana, if you link her appearance to a critique of substance, then I have no issue - that was not done previously.

I have already conceded your point, Mamajuana.

I have also commented a number of times that, from the one sample I have seen of her work on this thread, that it is very poor work indeed.

Jjorge - I have the greatest respect for Williamhenry!

I was commenting on his manner of attack on this particular thread, not on him.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 09:15 pm
[/quote]

Jjorge - I have the greatest respect for Williamhenry!

I was commenting on his manner of attack on this particular thread, not on him.[/quote]

dlowan

If you say so I'm sure you respect William Henry. As a matter of fact (as I think you know) I respect you too.

However, in my opinion, your respect doesn't come through in your posts. To me what comes across is you letting him have it with both barrels.
If you had seen Coulter on TV a few times and read a little more of her writing I think you would see how vicious and inflammatory she is. Then perhaps you would have been a little more understanding and gentler in your rebuke.
0 Replies