Windows 11 and Disk Drives

Thu 27 Oct, 2022 06:18 am
I have two PCs running Winfows 7. Every time I talk about upgrading them to Windows 11, people tell me I should also upgrade my disk drives which are about 6 years old. Is it that Windows 11 literally will not function with older drives?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 3,428 • Replies: 11
Topic Closed
No top replies

engineer

Thu 27 Oct, 2022 06:33 am
@Brandon9000,
It's not the disk drive so much as the system RAM, but what they might be refering to is a solid state drive. A lot of modern systems use these and they are much faster and more reliable than the hard drives with the spinning disks. They will make any operating system faster when it loads, not so much after that. If I were building a new machine today, I'd use a SSD, but it is definitely not required to run W11. Now system RAM, that you need to upgrade.

Here are the system requirements for W11: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11-system-requirements-86c11283-ea52-4782-9efd-7674389a7ba3

To check h0w much RAM you have:
Quote:
How to check RAM on Windows 7
If you’re on Windows 7, you can use Task Manager to check how much RAM you have. Here’s how:

Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to launch Task Manager. Or, right-click the Taskbar and select Task Manager.

Select the Performance tab to see current RAM usage displayed in the Memory box, and total RAM capacity listed under Physical Memory.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Thu 27 Oct, 2022 07:18 am
@Brandon9000,
I would not try to run Windows 11 on 6-year-old hardware. You just will not have satisfactory results. You do need to get out of Win 7 though.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Thu 27 Oct, 2022 08:20 am
Two good answers. Thanks.
0 Replies

danielmeyers

Thu 27 Oct, 2022 12:00 pm
@Brandon9000,
I would advise you to switch to Windows 10 for now, I am sure you will not have a long period of adaptation and in just a couple of days you will be fully accustomed and enjoy working on the new system. As such, there are no particular changes between Windows 7 and Windows 10. The functionality remains the same, except that a little extended.

To compare two largely different operating systems, you need to look at a number of parameters. This is the only way to determine the favorite.

Moreover, in many ways, the conclusions will be subjective. Those who are accustomed to Seven will argue that there is nothing better than Windows 7, and Ten with its new menus and design is extremely inconvenient. And fans of Windows 10 in response will say that the ten has become advanced, multifunctional and efficient.
I switched to Windows 10 three years ago and have never regretted it. By that time, the company's experts had already managed to eliminate frequent bugs that users encountered, to make some changes, that is, the system was already fully operational.

As for my transition to Windows 11 personally - I have the opportunity to do so technically. All the parameters of my laptop allow to do this, but I decided to let the programmers of Microsoft to improve this undoubtedly wonderful new system without my participation))) I think in a couple of years, or maybe sooner, when all the shortcomings will be eliminated, I will join the group of owners of the operating system Windows 11.
Brandon9000

Thu 27 Oct, 2022 08:34 pm
@danielmeyers ,
A great answer, thank you. In the hours since I last looked at this thread, I had also reached the conclusion that I have to go to Windows 10, not 11. My conclusion was motivated by a repairman who told me that I couldn't go to Windows 11 with my motherboard, despite the fact that it's only about six years old and has a clock speed of over 3 GHz.
McGentrix

Thu 27 Oct, 2022 09:04 pm
@Brandon9000,
Does it have a TPM chip?
oralloy

Fri 28 Oct, 2022 02:14 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
A great answer, thank you. In the hours since I last looked at this thread, I had also reached the conclusion that I have to go to Windows 10, not 11. My conclusion was motivated by a repairman who told me that I couldn't go to Windows 11 with my motherboard, despite the fact that it's only about six years old and has a clock speed of over 3 GHz.

As far as old hardware goes, note my post in your other thread.

Personally I'm going to stick with Windows 10 until Microsoft stops supporting it. Thanks to market competition, Moore's Law has awakened from its coma and CPUs are improving again. The longer I wait to buy, the better my new system will be when I buy it.

If I can, I'll wait until Intel has developed their radical new CPU infrastructure that they plan to come out with a few years from now.

One note, whenever you upgrade, save your graphics card from your old system (if it has one) and reuse it (unless it is so ancient that it predates the dinosaurs or something). It's only the CPU/RAM/motherboard that should be replaced.

New graphics cards are used for cryptocurrency mining, which makes them hard to find and twice as expensive as they should be. And unless you play cutting edge video games you really don't need a brand new graphics card.
Brandon9000

Fri 28 Oct, 2022 08:25 am
@McGentrix,
I doubt it.
McGentrix

Sat 29 Oct, 2022 12:41 pm
@Brandon9000,
TPM 2.0 is required to run Windows 11, as an important building block for security-related features. TPM 2.0 is used in Windows 11 for a number of features, including Windows Hello for identity protection and BitLocker for data protection. In some cases, PCs that are capable of running TPM 2.0 are not set up to do so.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Sun 30 Oct, 2022 04:38 pm
@oralloy,
I had reached the same conclusion. When I upgrade, it will only be to Windows 10. When I decide to upgrade further, I will try to just put a new motherboard in my PC.
0 Replies

DGESS

Wed 28 Dec, 2022 05:05 am
@Brandon9000,
They will function but slowly and with troubles. Winn11 isnt so bad but so unconvinient. For me btw
0 Replies