Western Zen: Trying to Reduce Blood Pressure w/o Meds

dragon49

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 12:54 pm
ok so i must eat brown rice-got it. i am learning so much recently about how wrong i have been eating all my life. hmm, i always thought cholesterol and high bp were related. wonder why that is the first thing they checked when they realized my bp was high.

fortunately i am more or less trying to lose weight to help with my bp not control my cholesterol. i am convinced it will help, muscle mass or not. i am actually just trying to eat better, exercise more often, and be "fitter". i am hoping that in and of itself will bring my bp down. here's to trying, i will keep you all posted. for the time being...my bp is controlled really well by the beta blockers.

thanks for the insight JL! Smile
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 05:07 pm
J_B--

Way to go!

Dragon--

Doctors check the cholesterol of high blood pressure patients because high cholesterol and high blood pressure indicate a high heart attack risk.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 09:45 pm
dragon, I use borage oil (200 mg twice/day or 400 mg once) in place of primrose oil. They both have the same effect.

Mr B and M are both hooked on cranwater, K says it tastes like ... (never mind, you get the idea). We're going through a ton on pure cranberry juice. I've taken to making it up in gallon jugs. I figure if it gets them to drink a diuretic fruit water over soda or nothing at all, then we're all better off.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 10:32 pm
I don't know where to buy pure cranberry juice. All the commercial drinks are mixes with gobs of sugar. Cranberry juice is great for the bladder, for the prevention of infections.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 10:36 pm
JLNobody--

Try a healthfood store.

R.W. Knudsen makes a "pure" version--their pure blueberry juice tastes better. I mix mine half and half with mainstream grape or apple juice--or with water.

There is also a concentrate available.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 10:45 pm
Thanks, Noddy. Sounds good. I should have thought of a healthfood store.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 10:55 pm
JLNobody--

Cease self-flagellation.

I bitched about the high sugar content of the supemarket brands of cranberry juice for at least 18 months before I thought, "Health Food Store".
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 09:18 pm
Noddy, this evening I was thinking of you, your blood pressure, and Mr Noddy. I hope things are going alright for you.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 09:24 pm
J_B--

Thanks for asking. Blood pressure is under control. I'm spending a great deal of time thinking, "What Would A REAL Heroine Do", but am making progress at reguarding Mr. Noddy's decline as a challenge rather than as a betrayal.

His conversation is becoming more and more colorful/drifting/challenging, but I can either rise to the occasion or perish.

Glad that you've survived the fall Rites of Passage for your brood. May the school schedule be comfortingly regular.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 09:42 pm
Thank you, and I hope you are holding your dominion as well.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 07:50 pm
Since my last post I've discovered a brand of juices that is pure. It produced by the R.W. Knudsen Family: "Just Bluberry," "Just Cranberry," and "Just Pomegranet". They are sold at Whole Foods and Fry Markets. A bit more expensive, but worth it.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 07:57 am
After a lot of concentrated effort on Achieving Serenity my blood pressure this morning was 113/87.

Exercise. Cutting back on alcohol. Contemplating the universal cosmos instead of local chaos. Teaching my muscles to go limp so the grizzly bears of discord will savage elsewhere.

Thanks to all of you.
0 Replies