How to Connect water from a river/stream uphill

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2022 02:00 pm
Hi, good day everyone.

We live in the jungle and right now we don't have any electricity or anyway easiest way to hook up running water to the part of our land from the stream or river that we have close by. I know you can install one that runs with diesel, gasoline or that uses electricity, but we want to be able to use "hydrologic ram pumps" instead as we don't want to always have to buy gasoline and also at the moment there's no electricity here. There is a stream about 80 m away but the change of height elevation is no more than 10 or 20 m at most. The stream runs all year round. Tthere's not much flow in it, but it's also not completely stagnant. There is also river that has more flow in some parts of it, but it is at least 200 or 250 m away, and the incline difference from where we want to install the barrels is much greater, around 40 or 50 m maximum I know that if there is not enough water flowing in the water source, additional ram pumps would need to be installed in sequence. We don't know anyone here who knows how to install ram pumps; everybody just says to install ones that use electricity or diesel.

I'm a beginner on how to create my own kit or install a premade "ram pump" and I don't know which ram pump kit would be good to buy to use on my land, preferably one that includes the water intake filter. My partner and I are living in Ecuador, but we could also possibly buy a kit online somewhere. Any information or tips would be appreciated on what type of kit, specifically brand and model, we would need to get. We have a very limited budget, but we would like to get something that is quality that can be used for decades.

Thank you so much.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 651 • Replies: 7
No top replies

engineer

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2022 02:12 pm
@michaellanfieldvegan,
Are you looking for a hand pump? Depending on how low tech you want, you could use an Archimedes' screw type design. There are numerous hand pumps out there for sale as well.
michaellanfieldvegan

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2022 03:40 pm
@engineer,
Hi
Thank you for the reply. I will look into that that. But I was specifically looking into Ram Pumps, but if this works efficiently, it is low cost, and it needs minimal to no maintenance, then I could also consider it.
0 Replies

michaellanfieldvegan

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2022 04:09 pm
@engineer,
So I looked a bit into this, and it seems like this Arch Screw will not deliver water far distances and very high. From what I saw, this method can also be used to create electricity, but I don't know too much. I believe ram pumps is what I need, if I'm not mistaken.

Also, I need something that pumps automatically with the energy flow of the water source.
engineer

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2022 06:36 am
@michaellanfieldvegan,
If you are looking to use the power of the flowing water as your energy source, you will need a water wheel to turn a shaft to power your pumps. That's a big ask. A more realistic option would be to set up a hand pump where a person would provide the pumping power.
michaellanfieldvegan

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2022 09:06 am
@engineer,
Hi Engineer. As I mentioned in my initial post, we just need the flow of water to transport to another area uphill for the use of drinking and for irrigation of the plants, not for energy/electricity needs.
engineer

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2022 10:49 am
@michaellanfieldvegan,
True, but energy is energy. A water wheel doesn't have to generate electricity, it could just turn a shaft that is connected to a pump. You need to convert the energy of the flowing stream to power for the pump somehow. I think you'd be better off connecting a bicycle to a pump and having someone pedal everyday to power the pump.
michaellanfieldvegan

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2022 05:59 am
@engineer,
Thanks for your replies, but I'm looking to install ram pumps and see if they would work in my case.
0 Replies