why French PM been replaced ?

tintin

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 02:09 am
French PM J Raffarin been replaced by D Villepin because the new EU constitution has been rejected by the majority of the people.

what that new EU constitution which led the PM to be replaced ?

i found in another clippings

Government shakeup follows humiliating EU referendum defeat

EU referendum ?

very confusing ? can anybod tell me what was the real story ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 598 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Francis

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 02:40 am
- Mainly because he was charged with not being able to explain the new constitution to his fellow citizens. Not only that but his economic policy failed, in citizens views. To protect himself, the president has to change something.

- In France, the poll for the new constitution was a referendum and the defeat was humiliating because former French President, VGE, initiated it.
The major political parties were in favor of the new constitution. Citizens thought otherwise.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 02:44 am
Yes, but the peasants are revolting . . .
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 02:56 am
Just like yourself, Set, if someone stoles your wallet. :wink:

(I dont want to know where the money inside comes from...)
0 Replies

tintin

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 03:46 am
thanks for the quick answer.

In France, the poll for the new constitution was a referendum and the defeat was humiliating because former French President, VGE, initiated it.
The major political parties were in favor of the new constitution. Citizens thought otherwise.

hi, i have some query on this comment.

you are saying "new constituion" !! are you people changing the whole constitution ? rewrting the constitution again ? we, in india can not do that ? Of course, we can ammend some parts of the constitution . but there has to be a long debate in our parliament. if the bill passes by voting by the members , then amendment will be approved.

what do you mean by "new constution" ? are you people re writing the cionsti again ? or did not you people have the consti earlier ?

from your comment, i understand that citizens did not want the new consti but political party was in favour of that ?

would you please tell whats was that "new constitution " ?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 04:17 am
When I said "new constitution" it was meant "First European constitution".

As you probably know, we, European countries, at least 25 of them, are now the European Union".

In order to improve its operation, many think we need a common constitution to replace the one of each country.

So a constitution was written by a commission leaded by former French president Valéry Giscard d'Estaing.

This constitution has to be approved by all of the 25 countries to be passed.

Each country has its own voting system. In France, any subject connected with national sovereignty, has to be voted by referendum.

Till now, as long as I know, this constitution has been approved by ten countries and refused by two ( France and Netherlands).

It means the constitution, till otherwise stated, is now dead.

That's not a major problem as all the previous treaties are still in application.
0 Replies

tintin

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 04:50 am
beautiful....brilliant...excellent . you have explained so nicely and so simple way ! i have understood it now.

thaks a lot.

bye
0 Replies