The Ballad of Twitter and that Billionaire Bumpkin, Elon Musk

izzythepush

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2022 09:04 am
@engineer,
Musk has taken down the links to sources that help with suicidal thoughts when people post about self harm.

0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2022 05:34 pm

https://iili.io/HT9wVJ2.jpg
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2022 07:46 pm
Rod Hilton's contribution to humanity? Witty posts on mastodon? what even is that?
glitterbag

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2022 10:17 pm
@McGentrix,
Well, I guess not everyone has a razor sharp wit like you do, try to be patient with the others.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2022 03:44 am
@McGentrix,
Beats praising paedophiles.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2022 07:09 am
Here is an interesting take on how the changes at Twitter are being experienced in other countries. In some of these places, Twitter was active before, some not.

https://www.politico.eu/article/elon-musk-twitter-takeover-is-playing-out-worldwide-activists-advertisers-nigeria-india/
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2022 08:24 am
Going through my year end roundup of interesting stories, here is one about Musk from May that seems prescient.

https://slate.com/technology/2022/05/elon-musk-tesla-twitter-fables.html
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2022 10:37 am

https://iili.io/Hu5Hugn.jpg
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2023 01:32 pm

https://iili.io/Huivlql.jpg
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2023 04:47 pm

billion with a B...

https://iili.io/HACOyla.jpg
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2023 04:02 am

not at all surprising...

Twitter sued by landlord for allegedly failing to pay rent
(cnn)

Laughing

izzythepush

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2023 04:27 am
@Region Philbis,
According to the Guardian Tesla has lost over 65% of itsvalue since last year. (Sorry can't post links on this device.)
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2023 05:52 am
I don't know if it is because I have read some Musk articles and now that is what my feed is showing me or not, but I'm getting a stream of articles about who Musk is beefing with on Twitter. It's like when you couldn't get away from Trump stories. I don't really care what scientist Musk called a poopyhead this week.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2023 06:10 am
Twitter hacked, 200 million user email addresses leaked, researcher says

Quote:
LONDON, Jan 5 (Reuters) - Hackers stole the email addresses of more than 200 million Twitter users and posted them on an online hacking forum, a security researcher said Wednesday.

The breach “will unfortunately lead to a lot of hacking, targeted phishing and doxxing,” Alon Gal, co-founder of Israeli cybersecurity-monitoring firm Hudson Rock, wrote on LinkedIn. He called it “one of the most significant leaks I've seen.”

Twitter has not commented on the report, which Gal first posted about on social media on Dec. 24, nor responded to inquiries about the breach since that date. It was not clear what action, if any, Twitter has taken to investigate or remediate the issue.

Reuters could not independently verify the data on the forum was authentic and came from Twitter. Screenshots of the hacker forum, where the data appeared on Wednesday, have circulated online.

Troy Hunt, creator of breach-notification site Have I Been Pwned, viewed the leaked data and said on Twitter that it seemed “pretty much what it’s been described as.”

There were no clues to the identity or location of the hacker or hackers behind the breach. It may have taken place as early as 2021, which was before Elon Musk took over ownership of the company last year.

Claims about the size and scope of the breach initially varied with early accounts in December saying 400 million email addresses and phone numbers were stolen.

A major breach at Twitter may interest regulators on both sides of the Atlantic. The Data Protection Commission in Ireland, where Twitter has its European headquarters, and the U.S. Federal Trade Commission have been monitoring the Elon Musk-owned company for compliance with European data protection rules and a U.S. consent order respectively.

Messages left with the two regulators were not immediately returned on Thursday.

reuters
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2023 09:11 am
@hightor,
Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an even more extra weary eye on my Gmail account that's associated with my Twitter account.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2023 09:48 am
Interesting story on the parallels between Musk and Henry Ford.

Quote:
Ford’s business accomplishments are the stuff of legend. In the early 20th century, he brought to car manufacturing two transformative ideas: interchangeable parts and the assembly line. Together, they turbocharged his company’s production rates, enabling Ford to reduce the price of its flagship Model T by more than two-thirds between 1908 and 1925, when it cost $260 (about $4,400 today). At one point, over half of all cars in the world were Model Ts.

Musk, for his part, is credited with making electric vehicles cool instead of dorky. Starting with the release of the Roadster in 2008, Tesla’s sales of electric cars have dwarfed those of its competitors. The company has capitalized on several innovative business tactics, such as selling directly to consumers, issuing over-the-air software updates, and offering house calls from vehicle technicians. Tesla has loosely followed Musk’s famous 2006 “master plan” of designing high-end EVs before moving down-market with more affordable models. (That said, Tesla—unlike Ford—has not come close to producing a true vehicle for the masses, unless you count the $46,000-plus you’ll pay for a Model 3 before incentives). At age 50, Musk was named Time’s Person of the Year in 2021.

Ford, too, seemed to be on top of the world when he turned 50 in 1913, as the Model T was transforming the country. His 1914 promise of a $5 workday drew thousands of young men from Midwestern farms to Detroit, helping to make Ford himself a topic of national fascination. He became the recognizable face of the automobile industry, producing a wildly popular product that suggested a thrilling future of transportation. According to Heather Barrow’s book Henry Ford’s Plan for the American Suburb, Ford pooh-poohed transit, claiming that subways would eventually be used to park cars. That suggests yet another parallel with Musk, who once said, “I think public transport is painful. It sucks.” Thus far, his vision of subterranean, autonomous tunnels has produced a single 1.5-mile track used by Las Vegas conference attendees who ride inside Teslas—with human drivers.

But then Henry Ford’s life took a grim turn toward bigotry. In 1918 Ford bought a local newspaper, the Dearborn Independent. At a time when hundreds of thousands of Jews were fleeing pogroms in Europe, the paper published a torrent of vicious antisemitism, such as the infamous Protocols of the Elders of Zion and a series titled “The International Jew: The World’s Problem.” According to Steven Watts’ book The People’s Tycoon, the resulting backlash included condemnation from former presidents William Taft and Woodrow Wilson and at least one Ford dealership (in Iowa) ending its relationship with the company.

Musk, for his part, bought Twitter last year and now wields it as a weapon against “the woke mind virus.” Transgender people have been a frequent target; Musk tweeted that “pronouns suck,” and last month the San Francisco Chronicle accused him of “leaning into transphobia.” Musk’s politicization of Twitter and embrace of the right seem to be taking a toll on Tesla’s business, much as disgusted Jews once refused to buy Fords.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2023 04:12 pm

https://iili.io/Ha72N8F.jpg
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2023 01:22 am
Musk is in the Guinness book of Records for the most money lost by an individual in the shortest amount of time.
roger

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2023 01:34 am
@izzythepush,
I'm beginning to wonder how he made all that money in the first place.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2023 01:52 am
@roger,
The people that know say he's a very successful engineer, which is why Tesla was such a successful brand.

Unfortunately he views every problem as an engineering problem which is why he royally mucked up twitter.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 01:50:19