Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 11:51 pm
RexRed wrote:
I stand outside of the tragedy.

You should get in here! Very Happy
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 12:27 pm
RexRed wrote:
Yes, in my opinion he was at the level of Richard Burton....

Oh!

Unconscionable!!
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 01:18 pm
Lash wrote:
I was right in the middle of a Mel Moratorium but we were assigned to watch Hamlets--and I couldn't find the Richard Burton, so I rewatched the Branaugh and rented the Gibson. Couldn't quite sell myself on the Olivier.

Mel did look great.
Wasn't that Ophelia distracting? In a wtf kind of way?

Didn't the actress that played Ophelia get and award for her acting in Hamlet?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 04:13 pm
You have GOT to be kidding!

I've liked her in other stuff, but damn. She was like a medieval, catatonic Wednesday Adams ...and that was before she lost her mind.

Did you like her performance?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 08:55 pm
Lash wrote:
You have GOT to be kidding!

I've liked her in other stuff, but damn. She was like a medieval, catatonic Wednesday Adams ...and that was before she lost her mind.

Did you like her performance?

Hahaha! I think I did like her acting, I can imagine someone becoming like her when surrounded by such treachery.

But I think her style does require a bit of getting used to, I do see what you mean.

I loved the ghost scenes. Smile The actor who played Hamlet's father was very good also.

Also Mel's flamboyant fight scene in the end was rather good. I can still see Glen collapsing on the steps and the look on her face once she realized she had been poisoned... the exchange of glaces were very well done. I will own this movie someday.

I guess I just love Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet is like music in prose.
Franco Zeffirelli's film of Romeo and Juliet has probably not been equaled since.

Shakespeare is easily my favorite writer next to the good book of course.

I am also a big Herman Hesse fan.

Siddhartha especially and Demian and are "great" works.

http://www.online-literature.com/hesse/siddhartha/

I am certain you have probably read Siddhartha but if not it is a short read and a beautiful and highly enlightening piece of fiction based upon the life of Buddha..
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 10:10 pm
Have you seen my boyfriend, Kenneth Branagh's, version....? and his lovely Winslet's take on Ophelia?

(I think you need something to compare it to.... Very Happy )

Gibson's Ophelia was little more than a little troll.

(Sorry for rather bold opinionating)

Kiss!
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 01:02 am
Lash wrote:
Have you seen my boyfriend, Kenneth Branagh's, version....? and his lovely Winslet's take on Ophelia?

(I think you need something to compare it to.... Very Happy )

Gibson's Ophelia was little more than a little troll.

(Sorry for rather bold opinionating)

Kiss!

I can see your point.

Gibson's Ophelia didn't seemed to have enough strong moments of clarity.

Glenn Close did show some of those really strong moments of clarity though.

"Hamlet you have cleft my heart in twain!" Smile
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 08:40 pm
Glenn Close can do anything she wants to.

I remember thinking--when I heard about her role in Fatal Attraction--that she was too old to be believable. That was my last criticism about her.

She is -to me-one of the most talented actresses.

Did you see her as the Supreme Court justice on West Wing?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 01:34 pm
Lash wrote:
Glenn Close can do anything she wants to.

I remember thinking--when I heard about her role in Fatal Attraction--that she was too old to be believable. That was my last criticism about her.

She is -to me-one of the most talented actresses.

Did you see her as the Supreme Court justice on West Wing?

She was frightening in Fatal Attraction Smile

In that movie you have to respect her acting because you hate her character so much.

I saw her as president of the US in one movie and I seem to remember her as a judge in West Wing too.

Judge Judy but a blond version.

hehe
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 04:42 pm
I was trying to think of a good descriptor for her--and "powerful" is the word I'd choose. Streep is quite good as well--to me, more of a chameleon (sp?), which is great, but Close can manipulate an audience, I think, as good as any actor I've ever seen.

She was phenomenal in F.A. Very Happy

Tell me when you see the Branagh version.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 04:54 pm
Not to mention Dangerous Liaisons. Her bit at the opera at the end of the movie is phenomenal.

Plays a great monster, she does.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 05:07 pm
Oh!

I'd forgotten! <must rent it again, been a while>

Malcovi...vich...Malchovit...z? You know, that guy. Not too shabby, his own self.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 09:20 pm
Lash wrote:
I was trying to think of a good descriptor for her--and "powerful" is the word I'd choose. Streep is quite good as well--to me, more of a chameleon (sp?), which is great, but Close can manipulate an audience, I think, as good as any actor I've ever seen.

She was phenomenal in F.A. Very Happy

Tell me when you see the Branagh version.

Weird, while I was waiting for this page to load I was thinking about Meryl Streep,

I absolutely loved Streep in Sophie's Choice.

I heard Meryl is a conservative, rather rare occurence for Hollywood. Smile
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 10:48 am
I don't think so. I was watching this awards dinner, where Angels in America won a slew of trophies and when she won, she delivered this sort of weird little Tim Robbins/Susan Sarandon political speech.

Decidedly anti-Bush.

Of course, she could still be a conservative (ha) but I don't have that vibe.

But I think her performance in Out of Africa is stunning. Never saw Sophie's Choice. Thanks for a rental idea. Very Happy
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 11:13 am
Lash wrote:
I don't think so. I was watching this awards dinner, where Angels in America won a slew of trophies and when she won, she delivered this sort of weird little Tim Robbins/Susan Sarandon political speech.

Decidedly anti-Bush.

Of course, she could still be a conservative (ha) but I don't have that vibe.

But I think her performance in Out of Africa is stunning. Never saw Sophie's Choice. Thanks for a rental idea. Very Happy

Quite possible I did hear wrong about Meryl,

Sean Hannity lied! Smile (just kidding, everything is his fault...)

Sophies Choice is possibly Meryl's best work, she is absolutely beautiful in it.

Kevin Kline is, well... :wink:

And, bring the box of tissues it will make you cry uncontrollably in the end. Possibly the best drama I have ever seen about the holocaust.

Emily Dickinson is immortalized in the movie.

A DVD worth owning.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 11:27 am
Thanks for the tip!
0 Replies