Hamlet

patiodog

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 10:50 pm
Fortinbras and his Swedish brigade get cut because it's the easiest way to trim time, scenery, and actors from the production and still having an intact story.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 10:54 pm
One man's intact is some woman's massacre. Very Happy
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 11:07 pm
Hmm. Never been fond of the Fortinbras stuff, myself. It's all pseudohistory, anyway, so I don't get too bothered about the political machinations, esepcially since its only really shown you through exposition. Fie! on exposition; the play's the thing.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 11:08 pm
But, he was hot!
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 11:14 pm
Lash wrote:
I read recently that there is a school of criticism that consider the "family dynamics" of the Danish royal family to be metaphorical to the "state of Denmark"....yes, you know, something is stinko in the state of...

So, Zeferilli (it was said) chose to enact the whole thing through the family, rather than dilute his efforts showing the external crisis along with the internal...

What did you think of the movie? I thought Zeferilli's set was more believable--but I don't know what I base that on, really. I have to say-- I hated the whole Freudian interpretation--but love Glenn Close.

I love Glen with a "passion" and Mel was really sexy beyond anything he has ever done with such emotion in my opinion.

Mel is immortal to me because of that role...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 11:17 pm
patiodog wrote:
Hmm. Never been fond of the Fortinbras stuff, myself. It's all pseudohistory, anyway, so I don't get too bothered about the political machinations, esepcially since its only really shown you through exposition. Fie! on exposition; the play's the thing.

Not till you meet a Norwegian face to face...

The Norse fought for their independence from Sweden remember?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 11:20 pm
I was right in the middle of a Mel Moratorium but we were assigned to watch Hamlets--and I couldn't find the Richard Burton, so I rewatched the Branaugh and rented the Gibson. Couldn't quite sell myself on the Olivier.

Mel did look great.
Wasn't that Ophelia distracting? In a wtf kind of way?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 11:23 pm
Lash wrote:
I was right in the middle of a Mel Moratorium but we were assigned to watch Hamlets--and I couldn't find the Richard Burton, so I rewatched the Branaugh and rented the Gibson. Couldn't quite sell myself on the Olivier.

Mel did look great.
Wasn't that Ophelia distracting? In a wtf kind of way?

Mel was not merely great but absolutely "hot"...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 11:25 pm
Yes, in my opinion he was at the level of Richard Burton....
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 11:26 pm
I'll see your hot Mel and raise you a hot Fortinbras.

Speaking of hot....are you an Ennis or a Jack? Heath Ledger's performance edged out Gyllenhalls for me. Who's sleeping bag for you, Rex? Very Happy
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 11:29 pm
Burton: my dream man.....
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 11:30 pm
I still love the way Mel says the word "pernicious" and spits in your face while saying it in Hamlet... Smile
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 11:36 pm
Lash wrote:
I'll see your hot Mel and raise you a hot Fortinbras.

Speaking of hot....are you an Ennis or a Jack? Heath Ledger's performance edged out Gyllenhalls for me. Who's sleeping bag for you, Rex? Very Happy

I'm a Heath Ledger man...
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 11:38 pm
That characterization was so intense! So incredibly sad!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 11:39 pm
RexRed wrote:
I still love the way Mel says the word "pernicious" and spits in your face while saying it in Hamlet... Smile

Laughing I bet Branagh would give him a run for his money in the spitting department! Very Happy
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 11:39 pm
Lash wrote:

Why Lash?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 11:41 pm
Lash wrote:
RexRed wrote:

Laughing I bet Branagh would give him a run for his money in the spitting department! Very Happy

Lash, I am starting to really like you because I have never disliked you...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 11:45 pm
I am incapable of bias....
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 11:48 pm
I stand outside of the tragedy.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 11:48 pm
RexRed wrote:
Lash wrote:

Why Lash?

The movie didn't seem to develop why Ennis was so withdrawn and why his release with Jack was so incredibly explosive. I mean--it alluded to a hard childhood, but before he and Jack had sex the first time, didn't he say he wasn't a sinner because he hadn't had the "opportunity to sin?" Was he so upset about his sexuality that he was a virgin to that point?

And, he was so painfully rigid and seemingly controlled--when he was walking away and didn't think he'd see Jack again, he threw up...?

I just thought Ledger walked that tough line perfectly.

They're closing up the student center--so I have to go.

Hope to pick it up with you soon. See ya.
0 Replies