Bernie's OK so don't worry, but.......

msolga

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 06:58 am
He is, he is, indeed! Very Happy
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 07:12 am
It's a good photo.Reminds me of Dinner With Andree(?)Or a Russian writer.A dissident.

He looks better without his hat.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 09:06 am
I had no idea he was that handsome. I had always imagined him as that little figure on the horse. Ah, the humanizing...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 09:28 am
ALL men look per se handsome - even little figures on a horse.

(But I agree that it really is good photo) :wink:
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 09:45 am
BBB
FreeDuck wrote:
I had no idea he was that handsome. I had always imagined him as that little figure on the horse. Ah, the humanizing...

Unless it's just the light in the kitchen, Bernie's hair looks a tad grayer than it did when we, Bernie, Lola, Dyslexia, Diane and I, had dinner in Albuquerque in the Spring of this year. I'm sure we entertained the eavesdropping diners at the surrounding tables, which often happens. Bernie made the mistake of asking me about the lastest book I was reading and we were off and running. Then we really got to ripping when Lola began telling stories about growing up in the Bible Belt. We had a great time.

I'm so relieved that Bernie looks as good as when we last saw him.

BBB
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 10:12 am
Handsome person of both courtesy and wit, which don't always go hand in hand, astute analyst, fabulous writer...
glad to see you back, kiddo.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 10:14 am
He looks wonderful! Very Happy

Thanks for the pic.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 10:26 am
Sans hat, and sans cigarette. You be looking good, Bernie.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 10:30 am
(whew) Tis a pleasure seeing him vertically

Joe(lurking about)Nation
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 11:29 am
he is looking good and a nice big smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 11:40 am
That's NOT a scary photo! You're looking healthy, there, Blatham!
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 12:07 pm
spendius wrote:
It's a good photo.Reminds me of Dinner With Andree(?)Or a Russian writer.A dissident.

He looks better without his hat.

We watched as much as we could of My Dinner with Andre a couple of months ago......it wasn't what I remembered it to be. Times have changed perhaps. I like the hat. Still he looks good with or without it.

But here he is with Frank one week before the big event.....with the hat.

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SwAAAOwV4ipAXRe!EMz2!*yoNefDmK8ore4oo5PG8IRXqaf5e28cIy!KrpRwwxWgQn!gx3Dfg*bClEj8vcszAIzWsbyJnWTNq85CLtzqnYfH!PqkNoRtLw/CIMG1499.JPG
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 12:10 pm
FreeDuck wrote:

There's that better pic above. Still he's looking good, I agree. Especially without the cig.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 06:14 am
BBB

Yes, as Lola mentioned I am a serious fan of Dennis Potter's work for Brit TV. Actually, I'm more than a fan - really something closer to a crazed evangelist. "The Singing Detective" was the most exciting work for film media I'd ever seen and it still holds that status for me. Very pleased to see you and deb are familiar with the fellow too. The Brits on our sight know him, of course (spendius is fun to talk with about Potter) and quite a few Canadians have some familiarity through our CBC broadcasts but not many yanks know of him. In the biz, though, they do...Steve Bochco says Potter "influenced everyone". I think he brought a really fresh approach to ways in which a story could profitably negotiate with it's audience. A key element in this was Potter's notion that attempts to hide the presence of the author was a deceit which often impoverishes that negotiation between writer and audience.

deb...I assume you are talking about the American (Robert Downey Jr.) remake. I'm afraid it really doesn't compare. Dig up the original and you are in for a real treat. I did see the melvyn Bragg interview with Potter filmed some two months (I think it was) before he died. Extraordinary!

And finally, then...I thank you all very sincerely for your wishes expressed here and for all the other very nice things that have been said. Fortunately, at home and with friends/family I think I should be able to continue milking this chance event for all it is worth for a bit of time yet. But that makes it quite unnecessary, and seriously verging on the unattractive, to to do so here as well.

A hug back to all of you.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 06:24 am
(((((((BIG HUG)))))))
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 06:35 am
You sound so chirpy, Blatham, for one so recently ill! And those photographs: Mr Healthy! I'm starting to wonder if someone was making up stories here! :wink:

PS I loved The Singing Detective! Even bought the soundtrack.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 09:04 am
I knew about Potter in general beforehand, but really learned about him from you, Bernie, when we were doing the screenplay on Abuzz. (That was SO much fun. When I was making various out-loudish "Oh no!"-type declarations on this thread, E.G. squinted and said "Who's blatham?" and I said, "Remember a couple of years ago when the screenplay ruled my existence for a couple of weeks..? THAT's blatham.")
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 09:12 am
Blatham
Bernie, I saw the Robert Downey film remake last week. I kept trying to compare it with the last century's original film. The disadvantage is that the original made for TV was in weekly segments and Downey's film was not. I would love to see the original in one does of wonderment.

Hey, Bernie, how about going for a short walk with the love of your life? I see Lola has your leash in hand.

BBB Smile
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 04:17 pm
sozobe wrote:
I knew about Potter in general beforehand, but really learned about him from you, Bernie, when we were doing the screenplay on Abuzz. (That was SO much fun. When I was making various out-loudish "Oh no!"-type declarations on this thread, E.G. squinted and said "Who's blatham?" and I said, "Remember a couple of years ago when the screenplay ruled my existence for a couple of weeks..? THAT's blatham.")

That was a fun project, wasn't it? And I love you too.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 04:23 pm
Re: Blatham
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Bernie, I saw the Robert Downey film remake last week. I kept trying to compare it with the last century's original film. The disadvantage is that the original made for TV was in weekly segments and Downey's film was not. I would love to see the original in one does of wonderment.

Hey, Bernie, how about going for a short walk with the love of your life? I see Lola has your leash in hand.

BBB Smile

B

I LOVE the serial form, perhaps from those cliff-hanger westerns when I was a kid. The one-week-wait delays gratification in the most exquisite manner and a masterful writer like Potter can use that form to great advantage.

Yup, I'm well leashed.
0 Replies