Bernie's OK so don't worry, but.......

Eva

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 10:42 am
Well, we've had some practice. Let's just say we know the difference between minor stuff & major.

What Lola & Bernie are going through is major. I'm anxious to hear how the angioplasty goes.

(((HUGS to BBB)))
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 01:08 pm
Lola,

I am glad to hear that you never smoked. You are the right person to help get Blatham healthy again.

(I am going outside now to take Frank and Gus for a walk.)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 01:20 pm
<peeking in to look for Lola>
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 02:36 pm
I just caught up with Lola.

Bernie's just gone in for the angioplasty. Being good and irascible - saying he's going home tomorrow. Shocked His color is already better than it had been earlier in the week - hopefully the same amount of improvement will come from this next procedure.

The Frying Pan boys may have to go get him if he self-discharges cuz he'll be in trouble with Miss Legs.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 02:37 pm
and there is to be no more smoking.

Those legs are meant for walking.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 02:48 pm
ehBeth--

Thanks for the update. Since Bernie turn at the OR is late afternoon the cardiologists obviously aren't worried about the procedure.

Undoubtedly Lola will be delighted to have him home tomorrow. Visiting the Beloved Sick is not easy.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 05:38 pm
Lola
Lola, I should have known that Bernie liked Hunter Thompson. This was is the paper today---I know Bernie would be cheering Hunter on. You can save this for Bernie to rear when he returns home.---BBB

Aug 17, 2005 11:08 am US/Mountain
Thompson's Cannon Blast Farewell Set For Saturday
(AP) WOODY CREEK, Colo.

A hand-scrawled note on the refrigerator in Hunter S. Thompson's kitchen says, ''Never call 911/Never/This means you/HST.'' Over the sink, a snapshot shows the famously reckless father of gonzo journalism nuzzling a tiny kitten.

This room, jammed with cooking utensils, writing mementos and a giant TV, is where Thompson wrote some of the acerbic books and articles that made him an American treasure in the late 1960s and early '70s. It was here that he held court with friends and admirers. It is also where he shot himself to death six months ago at age 67.

The kitchen remains a center of Thompson's still-swirling universe as family and friends wrap up plans to blast his ashes out of a 150-foot-tall monument behind the house at Owl Farm this Saturday. It's what he wanted.

''No crying, no tears, only celebration,'' Thompson's widow, Anita, said during a 2 1/2-hour interview at the home and her makeshift office above the Woody Creek Store, not far from Aspen. ''He wanted people to celebrate,'' she said. ''He envisioned it to be a beautiful party. The most amazing people would be there. His friends would celebrate his life. And he was even specific that there would be clinking of ice and whiskey.''

According to a report in the Aspen Daily News, Thompson's ashes have been sealed inside the tops of dozens of fireworks that will explode above his property on Saturday. Actor Johnny Depp is funding the event, which organizers estimate will cost roughly $2.5 million, to fulfill the vision that Thompson detailed in a 1978 BBC documentary and to his friends and family leading up to his suicide. Thompson shot himself in the head Feb. 20.

The News reported nearly all of his ashes will be blasted out of the top of a double-thumbed clenched fist made of fiberglass. The fist will be atop 11 chrome cylinders and a giant dagger. The structure is an enormous replica of the author's gonzo logo, the News said.

The structure is 153 feet tall and is two feet taller than the Statue of Liberty. It towers over a field between the home and a tree-covered, red-rock canyon wall. It is shrouded in gray and blue tarpaulins that ripple in the wind and it will not be unveiled until Saturday.

Anita Thompson said Saturday will include some reminiscence, readings from Thompson's work and performances by both Lyle Lovett and the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. About 250 people were invited, including Thompson's longtime illustrator, Ralph Steadman, and actors Sean Penn and Johnny Depp, close friends of the writer.

Depp, who portrayed Thompson in the 1998 movie version of ''Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas,'' is financing much of the send-off, Anita Thompson said. She said she doesn't know the total cost and said others have offered to chip in.

''Everybody's bringing what they have to offer,'' she said.

The event is private and security will be tight. David Meeker of Specialized Protective Services in Aspen would say only that the precautions will be more elaborate than for any similar-sized event he has ever protected. The narrow roads that thread the canyon will remain open, but Pitkin County deputies will bar anyone from stopping to watch from outside the property, Anita Thompson said. Sheriff Bob Braudis, a friend of Thompson, did not return a call.

After Saturday, the monument will be taken down. Anita Thompson said it may be put up elsewhere, but she's not sure. Thompson's son, Juan, did not return calls seeking comment.

Thompson's suicide ended a storied career that included landmark works of new journalism such as ''Hells Angels: The Strange and Terrible Saga of the Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs,'' published in 1966, 1971's ''Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream'' and ''Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail '72.''

He built a public persona as a drug-fueled risk-taker, but friends and family say that masked the Kentucky-born writer's true nature - a Southern gentleman and meticulous craftsman who lived and wrote at Owl Farm from the late 1960s until his death. The telephone-answering machine still barks at callers with Thompson's voice, mechanically commanding them to ''Please. Leave. A message.''

Anita Thompson, 32, who married the writer in April 2003, said she plans to protect and promote her husband's legacy.

''I'll be working for Hunter the rest of my life. I know that. I made that commitment, and I'm honored that I can,'' she said.

At least three new books are planned, including the third volume of his letters, a collection of unpublished short stories and an unfinished novel, ''Polo is My Life.'' She is seeking a permanent home for Thompson's archive, which fills some 1,200 boxes now stored in a vault off the property. Plans are in the works for a Hunter Thompson Foundation to help young people his widow describes as unfairly ensnared in the criminal justice system.

She also plans what she calls ''a small book of wisdom'' based on things her husband told her.

'''Never think you're the smartest one in the room. And never think you're the dumbest one in the room.' Little things like that,'' she said. Leaning against a sun-drenched woodpile at Owl Farm, she lifted a large green gemstone hanging from a small chain around her neck. It used to belong to her husband.

''He got this in Saigon. He believed this is why he lived so long,'' she said. He took it off only a handful of times, when he underwent surgery or to briefly place it around her neck. ''But this gives me great strength. He always wore it,'' she said, and now she wears it. ''He wanted me to.''
-----------------------------------------

More re Thompson:
http://cbs4denver.com/local/local_story_229103755.html
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 10:44 pm
Just home not long ago. They didn't bring Bernie back to his room until 8pm. Emergent cases had arrived to bump Bernie again. ........entirely understandable.

The second procedure went much better........much less painful for Bernie. He has little before and after photos which he wants me to post, but not tonight. The after is clearly better than the before. Here's to medical technology and science. He was very happy when I left him tonight after I literally fed him his dinner. He hadn't eaten since midnight last night and was hugely hungry. But he couldn't sit up (not until tomorrow morning). He's a lovely little birdy.

The doc came in and talked more very tough talk. I don't think even Bernie can ignore his warnings. A lifestyle change is in order.....but I think I'll think about that tomorrow. Tonight, I'm going to bed.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 10:50 pm
Good night Lola sleep well and thank you for taking the time for an update on Bernie for us.

My brother-in-law is an internist at Columbia. He specializes in heart issues and smoking cessation. If you want his number let me know. He spends half of his time teaching and the other half with his practice. But I am sure he could find time for Bernie.

P.S. Randy was able to help me stop smoking finally after all these years. Shocked
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 04:50 am
(((((Bernie & Lola))))))
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 05:18 am
so glad the surgery went well...give Bernie a

(((((((((((((((((((BEAR HUG)))))))))))))))))))), albeit a gentle one for me.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 05:57 am
Oh Lola, what a relief! Thanks so much for taking the time out to post! I'm sure that you must be exhausted.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 06:20 am
Phew! Great news!
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 06:31 am
He has once again survived the ministrations of modern medicine!
Continued prayers from here, ESPECIALLY since unwanted.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 06:52 am
Very good news! Very Happy
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 07:10 am
Good news. Today you'll be able to start getting back to the New Normal.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 07:29 am
The new normal, exactly.

Thanks for the update, take care, both of you.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 08:00 am
I love good news :-D
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 08:08 am
I obviously need to visit this forum more often. This is the first that I've heard of blatham's condition. I'm very glad that everything has turned out well. Best wishes to Bernie for a speedy recovery.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 09:05 am
Glad that everything is going well and that Blathan is on the road to recovery. Remind him that an occasional stern sermon is good for the body as well as the soul.
0 Replies