This War is Too Close to Home

snood

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 05:45 am
Re: This War is Too Close to Home
Merry Andrew wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
snood wrote:
Right now I feel far more motivated to shoot Cheney or Rumsfeld than I do some poor bastard Iraqi.

You, sir, are my hero.

Well, there are at least two people who hero-worship you, Snood. The very best of luck and God bless.

Know what? Although the chances are better than ever, there's no guarantee that I will have to go, so maybe I won't. In any case, I'm a damn sight away from hero material, but I appreciate all the kind words.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 05:59 am
I DO hope you don't have to go, snood! What a blessing that would be!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 06:04 am
Snood, I think your thoughts are the same as many soliders on this war - truly conflicted about duty and cause. The issue is not if you get called in, it's that your love of country must override your personal feelings about those who are making the decisions at this time. It's sad enough when people die for a good cause, it is beyond tragedy when people die for a doubtful one. I hope there are enough people like you still willing to protect to this country in the future when it's more than some mis-guided administration "crying wolf" making the call.
Blessed be.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 11:56 pm
Snood,
You and I have bumped heads a few times on other threads, but on this one we are 100 percent in sync.

My military career was from 59 thru 79 which covered the entire Viet Nam era. That was another time when the country was very divided over a war and one in which the civilians micro-managed the military until we were into an impossible situation.

Back then they had a term called Vietnamization. That was the plan for our exit strategy from Viet Nam. After most of our troops pulled out it did not take long before the South fell. I was on Guam at the time. It was April of 1975. A refugee rescue effort called Operation New Life was begun, C141's were coming in round the clock for days loaded with refugees. We had to help save those that worked with us. My wife was a volunteer helping to care for the refugees. In the first days churches and school gymnasiums were used for temporary quarters. After the planes slowed down, then came the ships loaded with even greater numbers of refugees. Guam had more than a hundred thousand refugees temporarily housed there before being sent to the mainland.
http://www.guampedia.com/gallery/albums/GC46-50.jpg

It was a very sad time for the military, the country, and the Vietnamese. It was something that we vowed should never be allowed to happen again.

It pains me greatly that this administration could nor foresee our current situation when it was so glaringly obvious. I see our current situation as eerily similar to the Vietnamization plan of Nixon. I hope I am wrong.

One lesson that so far at least seems to have been learned from that war, is not to take it out on the military members. That is I suppose part of the reason we see so many of those magnetic yellow ribbons on vehicles. The problem that I have with those ribbons is that many people also take them to mean support of the war and the administration. I solved that problem by modifying the ribbon on my vehicle. It reads;

Support our troops
Impeach Bush

I wish you well.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 12:06 am
This is to close to home! A tough, my best regards and prayers for your saftey. Hoping for the longshot that you are out of harms way somehow.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 12:21 am
I second what the others said. An awesome post that get lots of respect from this gal. You are a true hero!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 12:36 am
Big nod to Mesquite. I have friends - well, never mind. My list on Vietnam is nothing I can say is worth much - I wasn't for the war (not called) very early. And so what, I say to me. And so what.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 03:46 pm
Snood,

You know how I feel about our troops. I know that this must be very hard for you. You know I run the Care Angels Network (soldier support site) and our main theme is "it's not why our troops are there that matters. What matters is they are there and we MUST support them!"

I hate war too Snood. I won't pretend to know the politics of this one. I try to only concentrate on the fact that you, our brave soldiers, are doing your duty for God and your country. Your post touched me in a way I cannot explain to you.

This is what makes our troops the heroes that they are! I want all of our troops home!

Snood, if you do get deployed, please promise me something? Promise to get your address to me so that the Care Angels can show their support. Standing up for what you believe is right is never easy. In your case, it is even harder because you made a promise to God and our country and yet do not agree with the reasons for having to do it.

I salute you and I will pray for you and ask that God will keep you safe. I respected you before I read this post, but I now have the highest regard for your honesty and courage.

And please, please, do let me know your deployment address if you go. It would be our honor to support you.

God Bless You and Keep You, My Friend!
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 04:11 pm
All the best, friend.

Keep us posted, especially if you should deploy.
0 Replies