Why elderly people die in their sleep

Badboy

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 04:58 am
Researchers have found that when you sleep, brain cells controlling breathing die, explaining why a lot of elderly people die in their sleep.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 13,272 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 05:53 am
Not an overly far stretch I suppose. To add to this a step further is the idea of sleep apnea which according to this may well tie into the brain cells going into the land of the deceased. A visit to Sleep Apnea.org may provide more information. One thing I am aware of is that I often awaken with a little trouble breathing and a rather clouded brain function so again the two may be in some way connected.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 05:59 am
Those whose bodies operate on a diurnal, circadian rhythm--in terms of their metabolisms--are at their peak of energy at about 5:00 p.m. local, and at the ebb at about 3:00 a.m. local. This has long been known by the medical profession, and nurses expect that when elderly patients go, they'll go "in the long watches of the night."
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 06:09 am
My grandmother passed at 1 in the afternoon how can this be explained?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 06:10 am
Get a grip, Sturgis, i hadn't said that the elderly only die during those hours.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 06:23 am
I disposed of my old grip Setanta. It reminded me too much of Granny.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 07:24 am
Good idea . . . i recommend American Tourister, lightweight, inexpensive, yet durable.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 07:58 am
Setanta wrote:
Those whose bodies operate on a diurnal, circadian rhythm--in terms of their metabolisms--are at their peak of energy at about 5:00 p.m. local, and at the ebb at about 3:00 a.m. local. This has long been known by the medical profession, and nurses expect that when elderly patients go, they'll go "in the long watches of the night."

No concrete proof of that statement.. but in my years of nursing this is as close to truth as you can get.
More often then not, between the hours of 9pm-9am my patients would die.
RARELY.. and I do mean RARELY.. someone would die during the day. I would say , out of the 1000 or so people I have taken care of.. maybe >100 died during the day. If I think about it hard enough, I could probally count them all.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 08:02 am
shewolfnm wrote:
More often then not, between the hours of 9pm-9am my patients would die.

Shocked

An angel of mercy... but she decides who gets the mercy.... Twisted Evil
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 08:05 am
Freaky huh.
If they wanted to get away from me all the had to do was LEAVE.. sheeshh, Laughing
0 Replies