Mental Health and Mental Illness

gollum

Reply Sun 22 May, 2022 06:20 pm
I have noticed newspapers publishing more articles about problems in mental health. The articles suggest that large numbers of people are affected.

Are they referring to mentally ill people? Or is it just people dealing with normal life exigencies?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 323 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Linkat

Reply Sun 22 May, 2022 06:38 pm
@gollum,
Somewhere in between. Mental health issues are now being recognized as a health issue as much as a physical issue such as breaking an arm, needing stitches or a more serious and life threatening issue such as cancer. Mental health can be as small as say needing stiches to something mire serious where it could be requiring assistance throughout someone's entire life.

Sometimes just visiting a therapist for a few sessions is enough...my daughter was a bit depressed her senior year after getting covid..she met a few times with a counselor on campus but that was all she needed to feel better.

someone else these thoughts of depression could lead to suicide attempts. It is just recently that people are recognizing this is truly a medical issue and one should not be ashamed if needing help. Not to mention Covid, having kids and teens who are normally very social and going to school remotely, needing to wear masks and not seeing faces..all of these have increased depression and anxiety.

Also note that May is recognized as mental health month so you are likely hearing more due to the combined month and the fact that getting mental help and increased need for it is why you are hearing more about it.
0 Replies

FearlessDiva

Reply Sun 22 May, 2022 06:40 pm
@gollum,
I'm guessing that there is a need to challenge the stigmas society tends to have against mental health. They are probably trying to spread awareness.
0 Replies

Theo202

Reply Sun 22 May, 2022 08:03 pm
@gollum,
Another explanation is that increasing awareness of mental health issues leads to increased reporting. The best explanation I've heard for a general cause is that people are unable to find meaning in life and settle for secondary goals like wealth or social status.
0 Replies