Would you talk to the kid’s parents?

jcboy

Reply Fri 6 May, 2022 07:26 am
Antonio’s best friend is Spencer; he’s 16 and was here a few days ago. Well I had done laundry and went into Antonio’s room to put some clothes away and found a bag of Skittles candy on the dresser. Antonio said Spencer left them here. So I took them down stairs and put them in the kitchen cabinet but before I did I ate 3 of them!

About an hour later it hit me, I was high and eating everything in the house. The Puerto Rican being a nurse knew something was wrong and asked me what I took. I told him about the Skittles so he goes in the kitchen to look at the bag and it said THC on it! It was an edible.

I finally had to go lay down and when I woke up the next morning I was still high and felt like I had to hold onto the wall when I got out of bed! It wore off about an hour later and after having two cups of coffee. I asked Antonio if he had taken any before and he said no, he didn't even know what they were and I believe him. It was a small bag and said QTY 20, there was 16 left in the bag, I had three and Spencer must have eaten the other one. I just couldn’t believe they’re putting THC in candy!

I’m not sure if I should talk to Spencer first or his parents.

View best answer, chosen by jcboy
izzythepush
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 6 May, 2022 07:41 am
@jcboy,
If you'renot used to cannabis it can come on pretty big.

Your experience may not be the same as someone more used to it.

It's up to you what you do, it all depends on how you get on with Spencer.

He may well resent you talking to his parents, and it could be counter productive.

You could just hand them back to the parents with no comment.

It is cannabis, it's not heroin or crack.

I'm sure you'll do the right thing.
jcboy

Reply Fri 6 May, 2022 08:18 am
@izzythepush,
I think I will talk to Spencer first. I was pretty angry, we have two younger kids. Thank god they don't go into their brothers room. Little Alex Martin would have eaten the whole bag.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 May, 2022 08:37 am
@jcboy,
Exactly, it is very irresponsible, but he's only 16.

If nothing else, he'll learn not to leave his stash lying around.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 6 May, 2022 08:46 am
@jcboy,
Assuming this is illegal where you live, I think you have an obligation to talk to the parents. This isn't just behavior that you don't approve of, this is something that could have significant repercussions and jail time.
jcboy

Reply Fri 6 May, 2022 08:59 am
@engineer,
I believe it is now legal in California but you have to have a medical card to purchase it, but illegal for a 16 year old. I'm curious who gave them to Spencer.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 May, 2022 09:12 am
@jcboy,
I doubt he was an upstanding member of the community.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Fri 6 May, 2022 11:06 am
Well that was awkward. I called Spencer’s mom. She started to cry. Those edibles were hers! She takes them for anxiety. I guess Spencer didn’t take one after all because she told me she took one, I told her well now you have 16 left because I ate three of them.

She’s bringing him by after school to apologize to me.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 6 May, 2022 11:10 am
@jcboy,
I think that's about as well as it could have turned out.
jcboy

Reply Fri 6 May, 2022 11:15 am
@edgarblythe,
Me too Edgar. He's always been a good kid and those two are best friends.

I got high for the first time ever and I sure slept good that night but would never do it again.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 May, 2022 11:16 am
@jcboy,
Agreed.

If you have any similar problems in future you could always post them to a responsible adult outside of the country, who would deal with them responsibly.

Say, for sake of argument, Southampton, or somewhere like that.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 May, 2022 11:18 am
@jcboy,
Do you claim to have a billion, that you would trade for a million?

Or that Wall Street was frantic because you won't sell them the Atlantic?

Did you call watermelons pickles and trade dimes for nickels?
jcboy

Reply Fri 6 May, 2022 11:32 am
@izzythepush,
No but when I woke up I had to hold onto the wall to keep the house from caving in around me Cool
izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 May, 2022 12:24 pm
@jcboy,
In fairness I think three in one go for your first time would be quite extreme.

When I was at school there was a bloke called Moffy who had a really bad time after half a joint or something. He claimed he was on a coracle adrift on a wooden sea and he kept shouting out, "Don't rock the boat."

Some people have quite unique reactions.
jcboy

Reply Fri 6 May, 2022 12:34 pm
@izzythepush,
I just found this on the internet, these were 10 mg and I had three of them! I was eating everything I could, ice cream, chips, then I started making pancakes at 8PM. And that was after I polished off the left over pizza that was in the fridge. I was watching a movie on Netflix and when I left the room someone changed the channel and I didn't notice at first and I couldn't remember what I was watching before they changed the channel.

Quote:
The standard “dose” of an edible is 10 mg of THC. But if it's your first time, it's better to go with less than 5 mg. If you don't feel anything, don't up your dose for the first two hours. If you do choose to have more, increase your initial dose by 5 mg.
Linkat

Reply Fri 6 May, 2022 12:54 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

About an hour later it hit me, I was high and eating everything in the house. The Puerto Rican being a nurse knew something was wrong and asked me what I took. I told him about the Skittles so he goes in the kitchen to look at the bag and it said THC on it! It was an edible.

Sorry but I had to laugh. (and I say so because you and your family are ok) -I can only picture that. It is like a bad sitcom.

That being said - seeing that this is legal - it has to be in CA if it is in MA - I know not for a 16 year old but what would you do if this was alcohol?

Seeing it is treated similarly I would do what you would do with alcohol

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 6 May, 2022 12:56 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

I believe it is now legal in California but you have to have a medical card to purchase it, but illegal for a 16 year old. I'm curious who gave them to Spencer.

No I did look it up it is legal in CA - you don't need a medical card - I figured there are many states where it is legal and CA tends to be more loose than MA so I figured its gotta be legal there.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/california-weed/article255274796.html
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 6 May, 2022 01:02 pm
@jcboy,
I have heard so many stories of people getting high without being aware - well yeah afterwards but did not realize they were eating something with pot.

One was years and years ago - a good friend went to Amsterdam - he was at a club and they were selling cake - the waitress came over and said - do you want some spice cake - he said sure. Ate one - it was small and was so good so he bought several others - then he said I feel weird --- his friends say yeah well you should all that space cake you ate.

He mistook spice for space not realizing it was pot.

There was a recent wedding in Fl where the bride got in trouble because she laced some of the food with pot and people were getting high.

With all this being legal now - and often times them having it in some form of candy - its going happen more and more.

but yeah it is scary to think a young child could eat a whole pack of something like that.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 6 May, 2022 01:19 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

I was eating everything I could, ice cream, chips, then I started making pancakes at 8PM. And that was after I polished off the left over pizza that was in the fridge. I was watching a movie on Netflix and when I left the room someone changed the channel and I didn't notice at first and I couldn't remember what I was watching before they changed the channel.

I'm sorry but that's just hilarious! That's why I don't smoke pot. In my teenage years, it was all the rage (homegrown) and today I'm pretty sure every song I heard was by Nazareth. Smile I toked up before a Neil Young concert and promptly fell asleep Smile
0 Replies

TribesmenMike

Reply Fri 6 May, 2022 01:25 pm
My brother is a pot head! Laughing
0 Replies