torn rotator cuff surgery

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 12:52 pm
We have been told that 79 years old is too old for torn rotator cuff surgery. We doubt this can be right. Does anyone have any experience with this? Confused Confused Confused
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,924 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 01:05 pm
I really think that it has to do with the physical condition of the patient. There are many doctors who will not do some operations more because of covering their butts, than sound medical practice. I don't know about rotator cuffs in particular, but I have known older people who were turned down by a physician for some operation, and then underwent it successfully with another surgeon.

I would suggest a second opinion.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 03:33 pm
Thanks, Phoenix. We certainly will consider a second opinion, even though the orthopedist in question is very highly regarded.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 03:44 pm
No opinion on the age thing, but if you have it done, get into physical therapy immediately.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 06:59 pm
Rotator cuff surgery is relatively new. A couple years ago I was going to daily physical therapy for a knee injury. I met a woman who was recovering from rotator cuff surgery. I would guess her age to be in her mid/late 40s. She described her recovery as brutal. My husband tore his rotator cuff a number of years ago, before the days of surgical repair. His exercise regimen includes very light weight lateral lifts which he still includes in his strength training routine. It seems to be a long recovery either way. I'm guessing your orthopod thinks the phyical therapy would be too strenuous.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 07:48 pm
http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WSIHW000/9339/25443.html

Quote:
People with a rotator cuff injury typically recover well with treatment. However, it's common to injure the same shoulder again, especially if you do not change the way you use your shoulder. Elderly people are prone to rotator cuff problems and have a harder time recovering because their shoulders have a less robust blood supply.

http://www.nydailynews.com/boroughs/story/268431p-229892c.html

This article looks promising.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 09:23 am
Thanks again, Phoenix. We'd read the Intellihealth thing, but it left a lot of questions. The collagen patch information was new to us, and very interesting. However, we suspect that this person will ultimately decide to live with the situation, at least until it gets much worse.
0 Replies