Is it time to stop bitching and get moving?

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 10:43 pm
What good is bitching alone in a room? Come to the cabaret.

Maybe it's time for us to start communicating with our favored candidates, in a more organized way. Let them know we appreciate that these are difficult times, but courage to stand up is quite often a good thing. What we stand for, where we want to be in the world - information on what we'll get for what we're paying.

The organization and execution of the protest marches showed us what organization by ordinary people can do. Why should the the negative talk shows have all the fun?

Somebody somewhere must have some ideas.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 915 • Replies: 9
No top replies

williamhenry3

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 11:45 pm
Mama<

Sober up from your night at the cabaret and edit your post so your point is more clearly made. Thank you.
Drunk
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 11:54 pm
Okay - point taken. I have started e-mailing a couple of candidates asking them to please come out more on the subject of the economy, and also on where they stand on certain matters. Some of them are waffling, which is understandable, but I think we could show them what we support and what we want and what we want to stand for with some specific wording. We vote, we dissent, we should feel freer to say how we feel and what we want to the candidates out there. How will they know, unless we tell them?

Actually, we saw Cabaret last week in New York, and it was a pleasant surprise. I had remembered Joel Grey, and didn't know what to expect from a guy who had played a character named Dougie Houser (sp?) on tv. He was good - made the part his own.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 12:06 am
Mama<

Thanks for the clarification.

Do not EVER, under any circumstances, let anyone attempt to stifle your dissent. You -- and all Americans -- are protected by the First Amendment. It is rather specific and absolutist in its wording.

Yes, indeed, life is a cabaret!
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 12:53 am
Mamajuana
I couldn't agree more. People need to speak up and say what's on their minds. I know I have on many occations. How are they to know how the people feel unless we tell them!!!
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 05:23 am
...and just for the record -
I understood your point the first time, Mama.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 08:48 am
Me too!
Been writing letters and signing petitions. Thing is that here in Massachusetts it's mostly in support for what our reps stand for.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 11:18 am
Littlek - here, too, we have a mostly democratic state. What I'm talking about this time are the candidates. Howard Dean, for instance, has been almost alone in his stand. Maybe if more people wrote to him supporting him, and, at the same time said they wanted a better health system, a different way of judging school standings, etc., he'd have a better understanding that at least some people are backing him. Other candidates, too, have positions to agree or disagree with. I know they poll, appear in town meetings and debates, and all that, but do we, the voting public, communicate with them the way we do with our senators and reps?

I suggest the time has come for more publicly demonstrated action, rather than constant complaining, and this is one avenue to explore.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 11:19 am
Snood - never doubted you for a second.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 12:22 pm
mama<

I find the candidacy of Howard Dean to be provocative. He is a very bright man, and it will be interesting to see how far along he gets in 2004.

Right now, timid Democrat hopefuls are keeping their mouths shut for fear of appearing unpatriotic and biased against the mighty Dubya. Too bad!

Our country needs a loyal opposition, but Iraq War II does not encourage dissent.
0 Replies