Judges NOT looking out for our children!!

Debra Law

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 04:55 pm
Re: Judges NOT looking out for our children!!
joefromchicago wrote:
Does that mean he was acquitted of enticing or of trying to entice? If the former, then he was acquitted of enticement, if the latter then he was acquitted of attempting to entice. . . .

But, Joe . . . there's no such crime as attempting to entice. Rolling Eyes That's the equivalent of an "attempted attempt" and not even the law of criminal attempt would allow such an absurd result. If the defendant had been convicted of a nonexistent crime, it would make no sense for the article to discuss an acquittal notwithstanding the verdict because the government could not prove an element of the offense.

I'm not discounting the possibility that the federal government might be able to set forth a legally cognizable crime based on criminal attempt--sexual exploitation of a child. Enticement of a minor might NOT be an essential element of criminal attempt--sexual exploitation of a child. Although you definitively claim enticement of a minor is NOT an essential element of attempt, we don't know that for sure. What we do know for sure is that enticement of a minor is an essential element of the substantive crime.

Quote:
Debra_Law wrote:

Quote:
And you have been proven wrong by Supreme Court authority that is directly on point and adverse to your stated position. See Sandstrom v. Montana. Simply restating your erroneous conclusion of law with respect to the statute we were discussing doesn't bolster your position.

My conclusion of law was erroneous? In what regard?

Well, go back and read and try to comprehend what was set forth. I don't have the inclination or the patience to repeat myself. Again, you need to read Sandstrom v. Montana (see copy and paste above and link to the case) and apply the legal reasoning and constitutional holding to statute we were discussing. If you need assistance thereafter to distinquish the difference between a constitutional permissive inference and an unconstitutional rebuttable presumption that has the effect of shifting the burden of proof, we can go over it one more time.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 05:20 pm
Debra_Law wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
Does that mean he was acquitted of enticing or of trying to entice? If the former, then he was acquitted of enticement, if the latter then he was acquitted of attempting to entice. . . .

But, Joe . . . there's no such crime as attempting to entice. Rolling Eyes That's the equivalent of an "attempted attempt" and not even the law of criminal attempt would allow such an absurd result.

I'm not following your argument, Debra. The statute you cited on page 1 lists attempt to entice as a violation in subsection (e). Also, see below:

Attempted Enticement - 18 U.S.C. § 2422(b).

Quote:
§ 2422. Coercion and enticement

(a) Whoever knowingly persuades, induces, entices, or coerces any individual to travel in interstate or foreign commerce, or in any Territory or Possession of the United States, to engage in prostitution, or in any sexual activity for which any person can be charged with a criminal offense, or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both.
(b) Whoever, using the mail or any facility or means of interstate or foreign commerce, or within the special maritime and territorial jurisdiction of the United States knowingly persuades, induces, entices, or coerces any individual who has not attained the age of 18 years, to engage in prostitution or any sexual activity for which any person can be charged with a criminal offense, or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title and imprisoned not less than 5 years and not more than 30 years.

SOURCE
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 06:20 pm
Tico:

Criminal Attempt is a specific intent crime. It requires the defendant to specifically intend to commit a particular crime and he must purposefully/intentionally engage in conduct that constitutes a substantial step toward the commission of the crime.

A substantial step goes beyond mere preparation and is suitable for the purpose of committing the intended crime, but fails to result in the commission of the intended crime

"Attempted Enticement" is an oxymoron. When you engage in "enticement" you are attempting to tempt. Accordingly, an "attempted enticement" is equal to an attempted attempt to tempt. An attempted attempt in and of itself is absurd and is far too attenuated to constitute a substantial step toward the commission of the specifically intended crime.

The attempt that you are seeking to punish is not attempted enticement, but the attempted use some means of interstate commerce for a criminal purpose (such as an incomplete communication to an actual child that was intercepted by law enforcement authorities). And, if you are attempting to solicit a child for a crime, e.g., prostitution, there are court cases that hold that soliciting an adult (even one who is posing as a child) can never be a substantial step towards the commission of soliciting an actual child.

I will acknowledge that "attempted attempt" crimes are being formulated to create a broad and sweeping net to capture internet pedators of children, and while the ends are legitimate, the means used are constitutionally suspect.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 05:33 am
Quote:
Whoever knowingly persuades, induces, entices, or coerces any individual

These are completed actions I think. My reading is that they assume that the actions designated were in fact successfully completed.

If A induces, entices or coerces B then to me it signfies the substantive offence, so it seems to me that if they are substantive offences then it's possible to separately attempt them. I have to say that in practice I think it would be difficult to prove (I say that only as a former detective, not a prosecutor).

For an attempt to be found in my jurisdiction we need the obvious mens rea (and then some) but the actus is problematic. I am not sure of US law in attempts but there is a whole lot of obstacles in my jurisdiction to proving an attempt, I won't go into them here because it would take everything off track.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 06:31 am
Debra_Law wrote:
"Attempted Enticement" is an oxymoron. When you engage in "enticement" you are attempting to tempt.

How so? What is the definition of "entice" that you are relying on to make this assertion?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 07:58 am
Debra_Law wrote:
But, Joe . . . there's no such crime as attempting to entice. Rolling Eyes

Sure there is. In the statute that you cited, the text reads:
    (e) Any individual who violates, [b]or attempts or conspires to violate[/b], this section shall be fined under this title and imprisoned not less than 15 years nor more than 30 years....
Likewise, the statute cited by Ticomaya (and which is more likely the statute under which Helder was prosecuted) also makes "attempted enticement" a crime.

Debra_Law wrote:
That's the equivalent of an "attempted attempt" and not even the law of criminal attempt would allow such an absurd result. If the defendant had been convicted of a nonexistent crime, it would make no sense for the article to discuss an acquittal notwithstanding the verdict because the government could not prove an element of the offense.

You're relying on a rather idiomatic -- and certainly non-legal -- interpretation of the word "entice" that has no support in the statute. No matter how strenuously you try to bend their meanings, "entice" is not the equivalent of "attempt."

Debra_Law wrote:
Although you definitively claim enticement of a minor is NOT an essential element of attempt, we don't know that for sure.

Of course the enticement of a minor is not an essential element of attempted enticement. If a minor was actually enticed, it wouldn't be attempted enticement.

Debra_Law wrote:
What we do know for sure is that enticement of a minor is an essential element of the substantive crime.

I've never said otherwise.

Debra_Law wrote:
Well, go back and read and try to comprehend what was set forth. I don't have the inclination or the patience to repeat myself. Again, you need to read Sandstrom v. Montana (see copy and paste above and link to the case) and apply the legal reasoning and constitutional holding to statute we were discussing.

Sandstrom says the same thing that I said: as long as the presumption is rationally related to the crime and the presumption remains rebuttable rather than conclusive there is no constitutional problem.

Debra_Law wrote:
If you need assistance thereafter to distinquish the difference between a constitutional permissive inference and an unconstitutional rebuttable presumption that has the effect of shifting the burden of proof, we can go over it one more time.

Nope, I'm good. On the other hand, if you need further help understanding the concept of "attempt," I'll be happy to give some assistance.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 04:17 pm
Whoever--
1. Using a means of interstate commerce
2. Knowingly
3. solicits
4. any minor
5. to engage in illegal sexual activity
shall be fined and/or imprisoned.

Solicitation of another to engage in criminal activity is only prepatory to the crime and not an overt act which would support a conviction for attempt. To call solicitation an attempt is to delete the overt act element necessary for an attempt.

Therefore, solicitation alone can never serve as a basis for attempted sexual abuse of a minor. It is too far attenuated -- it lacks the substantial step necessary to constitute an attempt. At best, solicitation is in the nature of an attempt because the intent is there, but the overt act is missing.

Attempted solicitiation or enticement would then be yet another step removed from the actual harm that the law seeks to prevent. At best, it is an attempt to commit a crime in the nature of an attempt.

Many courts have ruled that there is no such crime as an attempt to commit an attempt or an attempt to commit a crime that is in the nature of an attempt.

And, doesn't it strike you as odd that an "attempt" to solicit someone the solicitor might believe to be a minor, but is not a minor, to engage in an illegal sexual activity has a penalty (max. 30 years) and that penalty is FAR GREATER than if the perpetrator had actually engaged in the illegal sexual activity with a minor?

In Missouri, the maximum penalty for actually committing the crime of sexual abuse or molestation of a minor (aged 14-17) is seven (7) years.

The federal government cannot resolve the problem of child predators through the commerce clause--the states themselves have to recognize the problem that child predators (like Joseph Edward Duncan) are virtually incapable of rehabilitation and they need to be taken off the streets permanently through LIFE sentences.

I would much rather see real solutions to the problem rather than hokey pokey laws that amount to nothing more than "attempted enticement" that are suspect in their wording and their application.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 06:14 am
Debra_Law wrote:
Whoever--
2. Knowingly
3. solicits
4. any minor

What statute are you citing?

Debra_Law wrote:
Solicitation of another to engage in criminal activity is only prepatory to the crime and not an overt act which would support a conviction for attempt. To call solicitation an attempt is to delete the overt act element necessary for an attempt.

Solicitation is not an attempt. No one is calling it that. You're setting up a strawman.

Debra_Law wrote:
Therefore, solicitation alone can never serve as a basis for attempted sexual abuse of a minor. It is too far attenuated -- it lacks the substantial step necessary to constitute an attempt. At best, solicitation is in the nature of an attempt because the intent is there, but the overt act is missing.

If a husband asks an undercover agent to murder the husband's wife, that is solicitation to commit murder, and that is an overt act. In the same way, if an adult male asks a minor female to participate in an illegal sexual activity, that is the overt act. That's not an attempt, that's the act itself.

Debra_Law wrote:
Attempted solicitiation or enticement would then be yet another step removed from the actual harm that the law seeks to prevent. At best, it is an attempt to commit a crime in the nature of an attempt.

Not even close.

Debra_Law wrote:
And, doesn't it strike you as odd that an "attempt" to solicit someone the solicitor might believe to be a minor, but is not a minor, to engage in an illegal sexual activity has a penalty (max. 30 years) and that penalty is FAR GREATER than if the perpetrator had actually engaged in the illegal sexual activity with a minor?

It may be a bad policy choice, but what's your point?

Debra_Law wrote:
The federal government cannot resolve the problem of child predators through the commerce clause--the states themselves have to recognize the problem that child predators (like Joseph Edward Duncan) are virtually incapable of rehabilitation and they need to be taken off the streets permanently through LIFE sentences.

I would much rather see real solutions to the problem rather than hokey pokey laws that amount to nothing more than "attempted enticement" that are suspect in their wording and their application.

That's an entirely different subject. The thread is about a guy who was acquitted because the minor he thought he was enticing wasn't really a minor at all.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 02:18 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Debra_Law wrote:
But, Joe . . . there's no such crime as attempting to entice. Rolling Eyes

Sure there is. In the statute that you cited, the text reads:
    (e) Any individual who violates, [b]or attempts or conspires to violate[/b], this section shall be fined under this title and imprisoned not less than 15 years nor more than 30 years....
Likewise, the statute cited by Ticomaya (and which is more likely the statute under which Helder was prosecuted) also makes "attempted enticement" a crime.

Debra_Law wrote:
That's the equivalent of an "attempted attempt" and not even the law of criminal attempt would allow such an absurd result. If the defendant had been convicted of a nonexistent crime, it would make no sense for the article to discuss an acquittal notwithstanding the verdict because the government could not prove an element of the offense.

You're relying on a rather idiomatic -- and certainly non-legal -- interpretation of the word "entice" that has no support in the statute. No matter how strenuously you try to bend their meanings, "entice" is not the equivalent of "attempt."

NON-LEGAL interpretation? Well then . . . present Congress's or the Supreme Court's LEGAL definition of the word "entice" that disspells the notion that enticement is NOT conduct in the nature of an attempt. If Congress did not define the word, then we use the ordinary usage. If someone entices you to have sex (regardless of whether YOU are actually enticed to have sex with him) . . . he attempting to have sex with you, is he not?

I think you're the one who is confused. You're applying a watered down concept of criminal attempt to the statutes we're talking about.

Take a look at history. In order to water down the legal concept and avoid the stringent legal technicalities necessary to establish criminal attempt, Congress has substituted the word "endeavor" in the definition of some substantive offenses.

See United States v. Russell, 255 U.S. 138 (1921)
http://laws.findlaw.com/us/255/138.html

Quote:
'Whoever corruptly, or by threats or force, shall endeavor to influence, intimidate, or impede any witness. . . ."

. . . Counsel enters into quite a discussion, with citation of cases, of the distinction between preparations for an attempt and the attempt itself, and charges that there is a wide difference between them.

We think, however, that neither the contention nor the cases are pertinent to the section under review and upon which the indictment was based. The word of the section is 'endeavor,' and by using it the section got rid of the technicalities which might be urged as besetting the word 'attempt,' and it describes any effort or essay to do or accomplish the evil purpose that the section was enacted to prevent.

See also United States v. Osborn, 385 U.S. 323 (1966)
http://laws.findlaw.com/us/385/323.html

But see how the Supreme Court handled the statutory interpretation of the word "endeavor" in United States v. Aguilar, 515 U.S. 593 (1995):

Quote:
Respondent Aguilar, a United States District Judge, was convicted of illegally disclosing a wiretap in violation of 18 U.S.C. 2232(c), even though the authorization for the particular wiretap had expired before the disclosure was made. Because he lied to Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) agents during a grand jury investigation, he also was convicted of endeavoring to obstruct the due administration of justice under 1503. . .

. . . Section 1503 provides:

"Whoever corruptly . . . by any threatening letter or communication, influences, obstructs, or impedes, or endeavors to influence, obstruct, or impede, the due administration of justice, shall be fined not more than $5,000 or imprisoned not more than five years, or both."

. . .The first case from this Court construing the predecessor statute to 1503 was Pettibone v. United States, 148 U.S. 197 (1893). There we held that "a person is not sufficiently charged with obstructing or impeding the due administration of justice in a court unless it appears that he knew or had notice that justice was being administered in such court." Id., at 206. The Court reasoned that a person lacking knowledge of a pending proceeding necessarily lacked the evil intent to obstruct. Id., at 207. Recent decisions of courts of appeals have likewise tended to place metes and bounds on the very broad language of the catchall provision. The action taken by the accused must be with an intent to influence judicial or grand jury proceedings; it is not enough that there be an intent to influence some ancillary proceeding, such as an investigation independent of the Court's or grand jury's authority. United States v. Brown, 688 F.2d 596, 598 (CA9 1982) (citing cases). Some courts have phrased this showing as a "nexus" requirement - that the act must have a relationship in time, causation or logic with the judicial proceedings. United States v. Wood, 6 F.3d 692, 696 (CA10 1993); United States v. Walasek, 527 F.2d 676, 679, and n. 12 (CA3 1975). In other words, the endeavor must have the "`natural and probable effect'" of interfering with the [ UNITED STATES v. AGUILAR, ___ U.S. ___ (1995) , 6] due administration of justice. Wood, supra, at 695; United States v. Thomas, 916 F.2d 647, 651 (CA11 1990); Walasek, supra, at 679. This is not to say that the defendant's actions need be successful; an "endeavor" suffices. United States v. Russell, 255 U.S. 138, 143 (1921). But as in Pettibone, if the defendant lacks knowledge that his actions are likely to affect the judicial proceeding, he lacks the requisite intent to obstruct.

Although respondent urges various broader grounds for affirmance, 1 we find it unnecessary to address them because we think the "nexus" requirement developed in the decisions of the courts of appeals is a correct construction of 1503. We have traditionally exercised restraint in assessing the reach of a federal criminal statute, both out of deference to the prerogatives of Congress, Dowling v. United States, 473 U.S. 207 (1985), and out of concern that "a fair warning should be given to the world in language that the common world will understand, of what the law intends to do if a certain line is passed," McBoyle v. United States, 283 U.S. 25, 27 (1931). We do not believe that uttering false statements to an investigating agent - and that seems to be all that was proven here - who might or might not testify before a grand jury is sufficient to make out a violation of the catchall provision of 1503. . . .

. . . JUSTICE SCALIA'S dissent also apparently believes that any act, done with the intent to "obstruct . . . the due administration of justice," is sufficient to impose criminal liability. Under the dissent's theory, a man could be found guilty under 1503 if he knew of a pending investigation and lied to his wife about his whereabouts at the time of the crime, thinking that an FBI agent might decide to interview her and that she might in turn be influenced in her statement to the agent by her husband's false account of his whereabouts. The intent to obstruct justice is indeed present, but the man's culpability is a good deal less clear from the statute than we usually require in order to impose criminal liability. . . .

So, what have we learned? Even with a watered down version of "attempt" through the use of the word "endeavor" to escape the legal technicalities of criminal attempt, the Supreme Court still required that the defendant have KNOWLEDGE of an ACTUAL JUDICIAL PROCEEDING before the government may charge him with endeavoring to obstruct a judicial proceeding. If the Supreme Court requires this for the watered down version of "endeavoring," then the Court must certainly require this for the more stringent concept of "attempt."

The law does not penalize evil intent alone. The law penalizes CONDUCT. The accused must come dangerously close to actually accomplishing the prohibited harm before our criminal law can impose liability for criminal attempt.

Now, let's look at how the Supreme Court treated an attempt case. The Sherman Antitrust Act applies to both criminal and civil prosecutions. In Spectrum Sports Inc. v. McQuillan, 506 U.S. 447 (1993), Spectrum was found liable for attempted monopolization. The Supreme Court reversed the verdict because the attempt had not been proven. The Court stated:

Quote:
Section 2 of the Sherman Act, 26 Stat. 209, as amended, 15 U.S.C. 2, makes it an offense for any person to "monopolize, or attempt to monopolize, or combine or conspire with any other person or persons, to monopolize any part of the trade or commerce among the several States. . . ." The jury in this case returned a verdict finding that petitioners had monopolized, attempted to monopolize, and/or conspired to monopolize. The District Court entered a judgment ruling that [506 U.S. 447, 449] petitioners had violated 2, and the Court of Appeals affirmed on the ground that petitioners had attempted to monopolize. The issue we have before us is whether the District Court and the Court of Appeals correctly defined the elements of that offense.

. . . While 1 of the Sherman Act forbids contracts or conspiracies in restraint of trade or commerce, 2 addresses the actions of single firms that monopolize or attempt to monopolize, as well as conspiracies and combinations to monopolize. Section 2 does not define the elements of the offense of attempted monopolization. Nor is there much guidance to be had in the scant legislative history of that provision, which was added late in the legislative process. . . .

This Court first addressed the meaning of attempt to monopolize under 2 in Swift & Co. v. United States, 196 U.S. 375 (1905). The Court's opinion, written by Justice Holmes, contained the following passage: [506 U.S. 447, 455]

"Where acts are not sufficient in themselves to produce a result which the law seeks to prevent - for instance, the monopoly - but require further acts in addition to the mere forces of nature to bring that result to pass, an intent to bring it to pass is necessary in order to produce a dangerous probability that it will happen. Commonwealth v. Peaslee, 177 Massachusetts 267, 272 [59 N.E. 55, 56 (1901)]. But when that intent and the consequent dangerous probability exist, this statute, like many others and like the common law in some cases, directs itself against that dangerous probability as well as against the completed result." Id., at 396. . . .

The Court went on to explain, however, that not every act done with intent to produce an unlawful result constitutes an attempt. "It is a question of proximity and degree." Id., at 402. Swift thus indicated that intent is necessary, but alone is not sufficient, to establish the dangerous probability of success that is the object of 2's prohibition of attempts. . . .

. . .Consistent with our cases, it is generally required that, to demonstrate attempted monopolization, a plaintiff must prove (1) that the defendant has engaged in predatory or anticompetitive conduct with (2) a specific intent to monopolize and (3) a dangerous probability of achieving monopoly power. . . .

http://laws.findlaw.com/us/506/447.html

Without a dangerous probability of actually accomplishing the forbidden evil, engaging in predatory conduct with the intent to accomplish the forbidden evil is NOT ENOUGH to establish criminal liability. Without the dangerous probability, at most you have an attempt to commit an attempt. This would have the effect of eliminating the substantial step element from the law of criminal attempt and allow the government to punish the accused evil intent alone--something the law does not allow.

I understand that everything I have TRIED to explain with respect to the law on criminal attempt has gone in one of your ears and out the other; but you're not alone in your misunderstanding of criminal attempt. Most people don't understand and even a lot of courts apply a watered down version of "criminal attempt" to cases presented--and that watered down version doesn't even amount to an "endeavor" as explained by the Court in Aquilar.

But keep in mind, the Supreme Court has stated: "not every act done with intent to produce an unlawful result constitutes an attempt. "It is a question of proximity and degree."

The law does not allow for remote or attenuated "attempts" or "endeavors" to suffice for criminal liability. This is a legal concept that has ancient roots whether you acknowledge it or not.

Quote:

Debra_Law wrote:
Although you definitively claim enticement of a minor is NOT an essential element of attempt, we don't know that for sure.

Of course the enticement of a minor is not an essential element of attempted enticement. If a minor was actually enticed, it wouldn't be attempted enticement.

This only demonstrates that you have a very simplistic view of criminal attempt. Here's another simplistic view: Murder is a crime. Attempted murder is a crime. The accused believes in voodoo. He specifically intends to murder his victim. He believes, if he sticks needles in a voodoo doll, his intended victim will die. With specific intent to murder his victim, the accused sticks needles into the voodoo doll, but his victim does not die. If the circumstances were as he believed them to be, then he would have done everything possible to bring about the forbidden evil (causing the death of another) and he would be guilty of attempted murder--and factual or legal impossibility would not be a defense. Rolling Eyes

Again, "attempted enticement" in and of itself is not a crime. If we step away from the oversimplication of the law of criminal attempt, we don't know if the enticement of someone posing as a minor rather than an actual minor is a cognizable "attempt" crime under federal law until the Supreme Court analyzes the applicable statute and sets forth its ruling.

Like the "attempted monopolization" statute that failed to define "attempt," neither the statute that I found nor the statute that Tico found sets forth the definition of the word "attempt." If we look at the statute Tico produced, the legislative history is murky. It appears that an amendment to the statute was introduced that would allow a law enforcement officer to pose as a minor in order to sustain an attempt conviction, but that amendment failed to pass.

Without any Supreme Court precedent directly on point, we have to look at past precedent and try to predict how the Court would rule on this issue. Without any scholastic examination of the issue, you proclaim that the issue with respect to criminal attempt is clear cut. However, I don't think the issue is as simple as you seem to think it is.

I don't think it's entirely clear that the Supreme Court would penalize "attempted enticement" in and of itself because of the Court requires the accused to have KNOWLEDGE of an ACTUAL judicial proceeding in "endeavor" to obstruct justice cases and the Court requires close proximity and a high degree of probability (a dangerous probability of actually accomplishing the forbidden evil) in attempt cases.

Given that there is no definition of "attempts" or "or attempts to do so," in the statute itself, the legislature's murky history, the rule of lenity, and the historical understanding of the law of criminal attempt, the Supreme Court may require that an actual child be the target of the alleged enticement, but allow for a conviction of criminal attempt if the accused KNOWINGLY used a means of interstate commerce to KNOWING communicate an enticement to an ACTUAL child to engage in illegal sexual conduct, but that communication sent in interstate commerce was intercepted by law enforcement authorities.

Until such time as the Supreme Court issues a ruling--we don't know for sure.

With respect to the OTHER statute we were discussing concerning the rebuttable presumption that had the effect of shifting the burden of proof on an essential element of the crime:

Debra_Law wrote:
Well, go back and read and try to comprehend what was set forth. I don't have the inclination or the patience to repeat myself. Again, you need to read Sandstrom v. Montana (see copy and paste above and link to the case) and apply the legal reasoning and constitutional holding to statute we were discussing.

JOE wrote:
Sandstrom says the same thing that I said: as long as the presumption is rationally related to the crime and the presumption remains rebuttable rather than conclusive there is no constitutional problem.

Trying to have an academic discussion with you is like trying to beat a dead horse. Go back and read Sandstrom v. Montana and apply the Court's ruling to the statute we were discussing. The statute created a presumption that evidence of A was PROOF of B--an essential element of the crime charged UNLESS evidence to the contrary was presented. This created a rebuttable presumption that had the effect of shifting the burden of proof on an essential element of the crime--and the Sandstrom Court did indeed declare such to be a violation of the Constitution (the due process clause).

You have NOT demonstrated that you understand the difference between a permissive inference and an unconstitutional presumption that shifts the burden of proof.

Debra_Law wrote:
If you need assistance thereafter to distinquish the difference between a constitutional permissive inference and an unconstitutional rebuttable presumption that has the effect of shifting the burden of proof, we can go over it one more time.

JOE wrote:
Nope, I'm good. On the other hand, if you need further help understanding the concept of "attempt," I'll be happy to give some assistance.

Rolling Eyes

If any of your criminal clients are facing conviction on a criminal attempt charge or faced with a rebuttable presumption that shifts the burden to them to disprove an essential element of the crime charged, how will you launch an effective defense if you don't understand the law that applies?

I don't condone the conduct of a sexual predator who uses the internet to find child victims. But, if I was court appointed to represent one of them, I would be obligated to be somewhat competent and somewhat effective. And, if the criminal defendant described in the article of the opening post of this thread was charged with "attempted enticement of a minor" rather than the substantive offense itself--and defense counsel convinced the presiding judge to rule that the statute required that the accused attempt to entice an ACTUAL minor rather than a person posing as a minor--then I applaud the effectiveness of counsel's efforts to defend his client by demanding and persuading the Court to take an in depth (rather than cursory or overly simplistic) review of the law of criminal attempt.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 03:39 pm
Definition of "entice" from dictionary.com:

Quote:
en·tice Pronunciation Key (http://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/ebreve.gifn-thttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/imacr.gifshttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/prime.gif)
tr.v. en·ticed, en·tic·ing, en·tic·es

To attract by arousing hope or desire; lure: The promise of higher pay enticed me into the new job. See Synonyms at lure.

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved

also ...

Quote:
v : provoke someone to do something through (often false or exaggerated) promises or persuasion; "He lured me into temptation" [syn: lure, tempt]

Source: WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University

LINK

Nothing in these definitions of the ordinary and common usage of the word "entice" indicates it means conduct in the nature of an "attempt."
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 03:52 pm
Debra_Law: I'll wait until you address my most recent post before responding to yours.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 03:06 pm
Oh, we can't discuss the posts in the order in which they are posted? Excuse me, I didn't realize you had a policy of addressing the most recent post first (although I did notice your tendency to ignore just about everything said or discussed in previous posts).

But, my response to your second to the last post (as I was responding your posts in the order in which they first appeared) wasn't really for your benefit because you've already decided what you think you know without any academic consideration of the issue as a whole and you have slammed your mind closed. That's fine. It is however like a pit bull gnawing on one little insignificant bone and hanging onto it with his life while ignoring the entire pile of bones that are far more delicious and suitable for the undertaking. Oh well.

Maybe a few other readers will be interested in digging into the entire pile of academic resourses available to broaden our thinking and our understanding of the law of attempts.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 03:34 pm
Not just for Joe . . . but for everyone . . . an exercise in applying the law of criminal attempt:

Federal criminal law, 18 U.S.C. § 2243, provides the following:

§ 2243. Sexual abuse of a minor or ward

(a) Of a Minor.— Whoever, in the special maritime and territorial jurisdiction of the United States or in a Federal prison, knowingly engages in a sexual act with another person who—

(1) has attained the age of 12 years but has not attained the age of 16 years; and

(2) is at least four years younger than the person so engaging;

or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 15 years, or both.

(d) State of Mind Proof Requirement.— In a prosecution under subsection (a) of this section, the Government need not prove that the defendant knew—

(1) the age of the other person engaging in the sexual act; or

(2) that the requisite age difference existed between the persons so engaging.

Issue: The Defendant is 19 years old. He met a girl on the internet who is 15 years old. Unknown to him, this young girl had a birthday and turned 16 years old. He still believes she is 15 years old. He knows it is a crime to have sex with a 15 year old. Nevertheless, under circumstances strongly corroborative of his intent to have sex with an underage girl, the Defendant sends an email to entice the girl to have sex. She responds favorably to the email and the Defendant and the 16 year old girl--the girl that the Defendant believes to be 15--meet and engage in a sexual act.

The government cannot prosecute the Defendant for the sustantive crime itself because the government cannot prove an essential element of the crime--that the child victim had not yet attained the age of 16. However, may the government prosecute the Defendant for attempted sexual abuse of a minor in violation of 18 U.S.C. § 2243? After all, the Defendant had the specific intent to commit the substantive offense, and if the facts had been as the Defendant believed them to be, the Defendant would be guilty of the substantive crime.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 05:21 pm
Debra_Law wrote:
Oh, we can't discuss the posts in the order in which they are posted? Excuse me, I didn't realize you had a policy of addressing the most recent post first (although I did notice your tendency to ignore just about everything said or discussed in previous posts).

I'll address your posts in order, but I prefer to address them together rather than having two parallel lines of discussion going.

Meanwhile, I continue to wait for you to respond to my latest substantive post. On the other hand, if you don't wish to respond to it, just say so. I'll understand.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 08:09 pm
To whom are you addressing your question, Debra?
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 01:20 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Debra_Law wrote:
Whoever--
2. Knowingly
3. solicits
4. any minor

What statute are you citing?

It is clear that the foregoing are the essential elements of the statute posted by Tico--18 U.S.C. § 2422(b)--with respect to the topic of discussion--using a means of interstate commerce (e.g., a computer with internet access) by a defendant who knowingly solicits (persuades, induces, entices, or coerces) any minor (any individual who has not attained the age of 18 years) to engage in illegal sexual activity (prostitution or any sexual activity for which any person can be charged with a criminal offense).

The word "solicits" includes all the forbidden evils of persuading, inducing, enticing, or coercing. See the definition.

JOE wrote:
Debra_Law wrote:

Solicitation is not an attempt. No one is calling it that. You're setting up a strawman.

Try to follow along:

Criminal law regulates and penalizes CONDUCT. However, not all conduct is blameworthy. Requiring that prohibited conduct be combined with a "vicious will" protects those who are not blameworthy in mind from conviction of crimes. See MORISSETTE v. UNITED STATES, 342 U.S. 246 (1952). Engaging in culpable conduct (the actus reus) renders an individual liable to criminal penalties in accordance with the level of culpability measured by the mens rea.

Mens rea + actus reus = essential elements of crime.

1. The ACTUAL HARM the law seeks to prevent through the deterrent effect of punishment (e.g., murder, sexual activity with a minor) is set forth in the definition of the SUBSTANTIVE OFFENSE: Mens rea + actus reus = essential elements of crime.

2. ONE STEP REMOVED from the ACTUAL HARM (the underlying substantive offense) is ATTEMPTED ACTUAL HARM:

ATTEMPTED ACTUAL HARM does not exist in a vacuum. It is always tied to the underlying substantive offense that is attempted. Criminal attempt requires specific intent to commit the underlying substantive offense. The defendant must engage in conduct that constitutes a substantial step--one that comes DANGEROUSLY close in terms of proximity and degree--toward the commission of the substantive offense in order for criminal liability to attach.

Justice Holmes wrote:

The law must be careful not to overplay the role of intention in such an inchoate crime as attempt, lest the result be precisely the mere possession of a sinful mind.

Justice Holmes also wrote:

What the actor in fact did toward fulfilling the intention must have been dangerously close to the consummation of the object crime to serve as the crucial overt act.

There is no general attempt statute in the United States Code and accordingly, if the specific statute makes "attempt" a crime without defining "attempt," the courts must apply the common law.

"And where Congress borrows terms of art in which are accumulated the legal tradition and meaning of centuries of practice, it presumably knows and adopts the cluster of ideas that were attached to each borrowed word in the body of learning from which it was taken and the meaning its use will convey to the judicial mind unless otherwise instructed. In such case, absence of contrary direction may be taken as satisfaction with widely accepted definitions, not as a departure from them." Morrisette v. U.S.

3. TWO STEPS REMOVED (in proximity and degree) from the ACTUAL HARM (the underlying substantive offense) is SOLICITED HARM:

SOLICITED HARM does not exist in a vacuum. It is always tied to the underlying substantive offense that is solicited. With specific intent to commit the substantive offense, the defendant persuades, induces, entices, coerces, or otherwise endeavors to get ANOTHER PERSON to commit the substantive offense or participate in the commission of the substantive offense. The unlawful conduct is the mere asking of another to commit the HARM (the underlying criminal offense). It is in the nature of attempt to commit the underlying substantive offense but it falls far short of being an actual attempt because, while the defendant still has the evil intent to commit the underlying substantive offense, the mere "asking/soliciting" of another can never serve as the overt substantial step necessary to constitute an attempt to commit the underlying substantive offense.

4. THREE STEPS REMOVED from the ACTUAL HARM (the underlying substantive offense) is ATTEMPTED ATTEMPTED HARM: Many courts have ruled that there is no such crime as an attempt to commit an attempted crime. An attempt to commit an attempt is far too attenuated to constitute a substantive step towards the commission of the underlying substantive offense.

5. FOUR STEPS REMOVED from the ACTUAL HARM is ATTEMPTED SOLICITED HARM: How many more steps removed can we get away from the actual harm before the law starts penalizing the guilty mind and disposes almost entirely with the guilty conduct? Holmes has admonished that the law must be careful not to overplay the role of intention in inchoate crimes--the law punishes CONDUCT, not the mere possession of a sinful mind. Many courts have ruled that there is no such crime as an attempt to commit a crime in the nature of an attempt.

JOE wrote:
Debra_Law wrote:

If a husband asks an undercover agent to murder the husband's wife, that is solicitation to commit murder, and that is an overt act. In the same way, if an adult male asks a minor female to participate in an illegal sexual activity, that is the overt act. That's not an attempt, that's the act itself.

We are talking about solicitation which is always tied to an underlying substantive offense just as attempt is always tied to an underlying substantive offense. While attempt is just one step away from the actual harm (the substantive offense) that the law seeks to prevent, solicitation is two steps away from the actual harm that the law seeks to prevent.

Solicitation is in the nature of an attempt because the intent of the accused in both solicitation and attempt cases is to commit the underlying substantive offense. Attempt requires a substantial step towards the commission of the underlying substantive (target) offense. Solicitation requires the mere asking of another to commit or participate in the underlying substantive (target) offense. We already established that solicitation can never serve as an attempt to commit the underlying substantive offense.

JOE wrote:
Debra_Law wrote:

Not even close.

Obviously, you have no idea what we're talking about.

Once again:

1. Substantive Offense;

2. Attempted Substantive Offense;

3. Solicitation to commit or participate in Substantive Offense (solicitation is not an attempt, but it is in the nature of an attempt);

4. Attempted Atempted Substantive Offense;

5. Attempted Solicitation to commit or participate in Substantive Offense (an attempt to commit a crime in the nature of an attempt).

All are tied to the same underlying substantive offense--and each one is a further step away from the commission of the underlying substantive offense. Accordingly, the culpable conduct is being diluted to the point where we are no longer trying to prevent or punish crime--rather, we are punishing the mere possession of an evil mind.

Quote:
Debra_Law wrote:

It may be a bad policy choice, but what's your point?

POINT? It's called thinking like a lawyer.

As a general rule, attempt and solicitation crimes are punished less severely than the actual crime attempted or solicited. See, e.g. 18 U.S.C. § 373 (for solicitation to commit a crime of violence, the maximum sentence is one-half the maximum term of imprisonment prescribed for the punishment of the crime solicited).

Given the Supreme Court's reluctance to engage in a proportionality analysis with respect to crimes other than capital crimes--except maybe for an extreme case, e.g., life sentence for a parking violation--an Eighth Amendment argument would be difficult to sell. On the other hand, showing that those who attempt to solicit someone to engage in a crime is punished far more severely than someone who actually engages in the crime may demonstrate that the sentencing portion of the law is irrational or arbitrary and capricious and a violation of the equal protection component of the due process clause of the Fifth Amendment.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 07:07 am
There is no way that I could respond to everything Debra_Law has recently written. Fortunately, it's not necessary: much of it is simply irrelevant to our discussion. The fact that I don't respond to something, however, should not be taken for agreement.

Debra_Law wrote:
NON-LEGAL interpretation? Well then . . . present Congress's or the Supreme Court's LEGAL definition of the word "entice" that disspells the notion that enticement is NOT conduct in the nature of an attempt. If Congress did not define the word, then we use the ordinary usage. If someone entices you to have sex (regardless of whether YOU are actually enticed to have sex with him) . . . he attempting to have sex with you, is he not?

As Ticomaya pointed out, the ordinary definition of "entice" doesn't mean "attempt." Furthermore, as 18 USC 2422 makes clear, "entice" is likened to "persuade," "induce," and "coerce," indicating that Congress understood the words to be roughly equivalent.

Debra_Law wrote:
Take a look at history. In order to water down the legal concept and avoid the stringent legal technicalities necessary to establish criminal attempt, Congress has substituted the word "endeavor" in the definition of some substantive offenses.

Since none of the statutes that would seem to apply to the Helder case use the word "endeavor," I consider this discussion irrelevant.

Debra_Law wrote:
The law does not penalize evil intent alone. The law penalizes CONDUCT.

Quite right. And I've never said otherwise.

Debra_Law wrote:
The accused must come dangerously close to actually accomplishing the prohibited harm before our criminal law can impose liability for criminal attempt.

Quite wrong.

Debra_Law wrote:
Without a dangerous probability of actually accomplishing the forbidden evil, engaging in predatory conduct with the intent to accomplish the forbidden evil is NOT ENOUGH to establish criminal liability.

That may be the standard under the Sherman Act, but it clearly is not the standard for 18 USC 2422 and related crimes.

Debra_Law wrote:
Without the dangerous probability, at most you have an attempt to commit an attempt. This would have the effect of eliminating the substantial step element from the law of criminal attempt and allow the government to punish the accused evil intent alone--something the law does not allow.

As far as I can tell, the "dangerous probability" standard is not a standard adopted by any court with regard to 18 USC 2422 or any related crime. Had that been the case, I'm sure you would have quoted from a relevant decision rather than reaching into antitrust jurisprudence for your example.

Debra_Law wrote:
This only demonstrates that you have a very simplistic view of criminal attempt. Here's another simplistic view: Murder is a crime. Attempted murder is a crime. The accused believes in voodoo. He specifically intends to murder his victim. He believes, if he sticks needles in a voodoo doll, his intended victim will die. With specific intent to murder his victim, the accused sticks needles into the voodoo doll, but his victim does not die. If the circumstances were as he believed them to be, then he would have done everything possible to bring about the forbidden evil (causing the death of another) and he would be guilty of attempted murder--and factual or legal impossibility would not be a defense. Rolling Eyes

Factual impossibility is never a defense. Furthermore, most courts and legislatures now consider legal impossibility to be no defense. See, e.g., Commonwealth v. Henley.

Debra_Law wrote:
Again, "attempted enticement" in and of itself is not a crime.

It is under 18 USC 2422.

Debra_Law wrote:
If we step away from the oversimplication of the law of criminal attempt, we don't know if the enticement of someone posing as a minor rather than an actual minor is a cognizable "attempt" crime under federal law until the Supreme Court analyzes the applicable statute and sets forth its ruling.

No need to wait for the supreme court. The circuit courts have already decided that, under 18 USC 2422, the enticement of someone posing as a minor is cognizable as an "attempt" under federal law. See, e.g., US v. Farner.

Debra_Law wrote:
Like the "attempted monopolization" statute that failed to define "attempt," neither the statute that I found nor the statute that Tico found sets forth the definition of the word "attempt."

There's no need for a statutory definition of "attempt." The courts understand what "attempt" means.

Debra_Law wrote:
I don't think it's entirely clear that the Supreme Court would penalize "attempted enticement" in and of itself because of the Court requires the accused to have KNOWLEDGE of an ACTUAL judicial proceeding in "endeavor" to obstruct justice cases and the Court requires close proximity and a high degree of probability (a dangerous probability of actually accomplishing the forbidden evil) in attempt cases.

The courts have never required a "high degree of probability" for attempt cases, if "high degree of probability" is understood to mean that the defendant could have actually committed the crime. To hold otherwise would be to resurrect the factual impossibility defense. You're imposing a standard that simply does not exist.

Debra_Law wrote:
Issue: The Defendant is 19 years old. He met a girl on the internet who is 15 years old. Unknown to him, this young girl had a birthday and turned 16 years old. He still believes she is 15 years old. He knows it is a crime to have sex with a 15 year old. Nevertheless, under circumstances strongly corroborative of his intent to have sex with an underage girl, the Defendant sends an email to entice the girl to have sex. She responds favorably to the email and the Defendant and the 16 year old girl--the girl that the Defendant believes to be 15--meet and engage in a sexual act.

The government cannot prosecute the Defendant for the sustantive crime itself because the government cannot prove an essential element of the crime--that the child victim had not yet attained the age of 16. However, may the government prosecute the Defendant for attempted sexual abuse of a minor in violation of 18 U.S.C. § 2243? After all, the Defendant had the specific intent to commit the substantive offense, and if the facts had been as the Defendant believed them to be, the Defendant would be guilty of the substantive crime.

Was the act committed in the special maritime and territorial jurisdiction of the United States or in a Federal prison?

Debra_Law wrote:
Try to follow along:

Criminal law regulates and penalizes CONDUCT. However, not all conduct is blameworthy. Requiring that prohibited conduct be combined with a "vicious will" protects those who are not blameworthy in mind from conviction of crimes. See MORISSETTE v. UNITED STATES, 342 U.S. 246 (1952). Engaging in culpable conduct (the actus reus) renders an individual liable to criminal penalties in accordance with the level of culpability measured by the mens rea.

So far, so good.

Debra_Law wrote:
Mens rea + actus reus = essential elements of crime.

1. The ACTUAL HARM the law seeks to prevent through the deterrent effect of punishment (e.g., murder, sexual activity with a minor) is set forth in the definition of the SUBSTANTIVE OFFENSE: Mens rea + actus reus = essential elements of crime.

2. ONE STEP REMOVED from the ACTUAL HARM (the underlying substantive offense) is ATTEMPTED ACTUAL HARM:

ATTEMPTED ACTUAL HARM does not exist in a vacuum. It is always tied to the underlying substantive offense that is attempted. Criminal attempt requires specific intent to commit the underlying substantive offense. The defendant must engage in conduct that constitutes a substantial step--one that comes DANGEROUSLY close in terms of proximity and degree--toward the commission of the substantive offense in order for criminal liability to attach.

And this is where you go wrong. There simply is no requirement that the defendant "come dangerously close toward the commission of the substantive offense" if that means that the defendant must have been dangerously close to actually completing the crime. Such a requirement would not only resurrect the factual impossibility defense -- which no court recognizes -- it would revive the discredited legal impossibility defense as well.

Debra_Law wrote:
3. TWO STEPS REMOVED (in proximity and degree) from the ACTUAL HARM (the underlying substantive offense) is SOLICITED HARM:

No, here you're seriously wrong. In the case of 18 USC 2422, it is clear that the solicitation or enticement is the wrong itself, not a step toward some other wrong. Congress has clearly decided that the mere act of solicitation is a danger to public order, such that the act itself must be outlawed. There is no need for the solicitation to be successful or that it lead to something else, only that the act of soliciting be done with the requisite mens rea.

Debra_Law wrote:
SOLICITED HARM does not exist in a vacuum. It is always tied to the underlying substantive offense that is solicited. With specific intent to commit the substantive offense, the defendant persuades, induces, entices, coerces, or otherwise endeavors to get ANOTHER PERSON to commit the substantive offense or participate in the commission of the substantive offense. The unlawful conduct is the mere asking of another to commit the HARM (the underlying criminal offense). It is in the nature of attempt to commit the underlying substantive offense but it falls far short of being an actual attempt because, while the defendant still has the evil intent to commit the underlying substantive offense, the mere "asking/soliciting" of another can never serve as the overt substantial step necessary to constitute an attempt to commit the underlying substantive offense.

For the reasons I set forth above, I think you are wrong. Under section 2422, the act of soliciting or enticing is the criminal act, it is not a substantial step toward some other act.

Debra_Law wrote:
4. THREE STEPS REMOVED from the ACTUAL HARM (the underlying substantive offense) is ATTEMPTED ATTEMPTED HARM: Many courts have ruled that there is no such crime as an attempt to commit an attempted crime. An attempt to commit an attempt is far too attenuated to constitute a substantive step towards the commission of the underlying substantive offense.

5. FOUR STEPS REMOVED from the ACTUAL HARM is ATTEMPTED SOLICITED HARM: How many more steps removed can we get away from the actual harm before the law starts penalizing the guilty mind and disposes almost entirely with the guilty conduct? Holmes has admonished that the law must be careful not to overplay the role of intention in inchoate crimes--the law punishes CONDUCT, not the mere possession of a sinful mind. Many courts have ruled that there is no such crime as an attempt to commit a crime in the nature of an attempt.

In taking your steps, you've stepped too far away from the actual statute. Take a look at US v. Brooks and the cases cited therein for a more informed view of the crime of attempted enticement under 18 USC 2422.

Most of what follows in your post is more of the same, so I need not reply to it.

Debra_Law wrote:
POINT? It's called thinking like a lawyer.

That's debatable.

Debra_Law wrote:
As a general rule, attempt and solicitation crimes are punished less severely than the actual crime attempted or solicited. See, e.g. 18 U.S.C. § 373 (for solicitation to commit a crime of violence, the maximum sentence is one-half the maximum term of imprisonment prescribed for the punishment of the crime solicited).

Given the Supreme Court's reluctance to engage in a proportionality analysis with respect to crimes other than capital crimes--except maybe for an extreme case, e.g., life sentence for a parking violation--an Eighth Amendment argument would be difficult to sell. On the other hand, showing that those who attempt to solicit someone to engage in a crime is punished far more severely than someone who actually engages in the crime may demonstrate that the sentencing portion of the law is irrational or arbitrary and capricious and a violation of the equal protection component of the due process clause of the Fifth Amendment.

That's an entirely different matter. I see no evidence in the original story that would lead me to believe that Helder was acquitted because the possible sentence for attempted solicitation of a minor under federal law was harsher than the possible sentence for the sexual abuse of a minor under state law. If that had been the case, then the judge would have invalidated the statute. He didn't do that, so I assume that wasn't the case.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 03:35 pm
The Evolving World of Ferreting out Crime:

We live in an unsafe country full of predators and potential victims. We can no longer wait until crime is manifested through culpable conduct. Instead, we must manufacture and create fictitious opportunities for would-be criminals to manifest criminal intent so we can imprison them at the earliest point possible.

Accordingly, undercover government agent Joe fires up his computer and enters the chat world of AOL. After he signed on using the alias, "BlowKing," he created a chat room entitled, "Powder 4 Money." He waits patiently for the chat room to attract persons interested in the topic. Soon enough, he receives an instant message from an individual using the screen name, "HardOn4Powder." (We'll call him "HOP.")

Over the course of several days, BlowKing and HOP engage in several private converations. HOP describes in explicit detail how much he loves powder; how he really gets off on powder; and what a trip he would have if he could get his hands on some powder.

BlowKing tells HOP that he has a lot of powder; he is the king of powder; and would be a willing participant in "sharing" a lot of powder if only someone would loan him a lot of money. (Wink wink.)

After a month of private conversations filled with tantalization, HOP and BlowKing agree to meet at a designated place where BlowKing will have X amount of powder to "share" with HOP and HOP will have X amount of dollars to loan BlowKing.

Upon arriving at the designated meeting place with X amount of dollars in his pocket, HOP is placed under arrest.

HOP is charged with attempted possession of X amount of an illegal substance with the intent to deliver--because the fictitious quantity is sufficient to invoke the PRESUMPTION of the intent to deliver. HOP is charged with a whole indictment full of inchoate crimes and is facing LIFE in prison.

It makes no difference that there was NO actual POWDER involved; it makes no difference that undercover government agent JOE (aka, BlowKing) established the X quantity of the nonexistent powder to make the attempted inchoate crime the most serious drug offense possible with the severest penalty; it makes no difference that is impossible to possess or distribute a substance that never existed; it makes no difference that there was absolutely no danger that HOP would commit an actual crime.

NO . . . the only thing that matters is what was in HOP's EVIL MIND: What he intended and what he believed. When HOP showed up at the designated meeting place, this "act" was sufficient to satisfy the extremely watered-down concept of "overt act" and sufficient to corroborate the existence of HOP's evil mind.

Law enforcement authorities can no longer be satisfied with ferreting out and preventing ACTUAL CRIME, but must now engage in the practice of manufacturing and creating fictitious opportunities for crime so that society may nab all those individuals harboring a predisposition to act upon the evil thoughts floating around in their evil minds.

"THOUGHT CRIME." Let's stamp it out!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 04:23 pm
Baldimo wrote:
A judge like this should be removed from his bench. To release a pedophile because the kid wasn't a kid is wrong. He thought he was going to see a kid and we all know what he would have done. Pedophiles need to be shot!

It's always interesting to see conservatives demand judicial activism.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 04:39 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Factual impossibility is never a defense.

Is that true? I have no basis for disagreeing, really, but this point seems strange to me. To make up an extreme but illustrative example, say Alice hates Bob and wants to kill him. Because she is a devoted practitioner of voodoo, her method of choice is to take a voodoo doll representing Bob and sticking needles into it. Her sister Clara, who also believes in voodoo, catches her in the act and sues her for attempted murder, or attempted manslaughter, or attempted whatever Alice's crime would be if voodoo needles actually worked.

Based on these facts, would an American court find Alice guilty? By your argument, the answer appears to be yes -- but intuitively it just doesn't feel right to me.

(Interesting discussion, reading along curiously.)
0 Replies