Who would buy a Pigs head?

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2022 06:21 pm
Calf liver with roasted onions and mashed potatoes - I will leave the best gourmet food for that! It's so unfortunate that we don't get that here in the US,
except in Brooklyn at the Russian restaurants.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2022 10:30 pm
@CalamityJane,
The problem with beef liver is hormone, antibiotics laden,

It's worth paying much extra for organic calf's liver to pan saute with bacon and onions.

Chickens livers in brown gravy is heaven on a plate.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2022 10:33 pm
@TribesmenMike,
Mazel Tov! More for me!
0 Replies

The Anointed

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2022 02:16 am
@jcboy,
My grand mother made a beautiful pork brawn, I used to watch her cleaning the pigs teeth with a tooth brush before boiling the head.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2022 06:40 am
Start a new thread, they said.

It will be fun, they said.

I've never been so grossed out over a simple post in quite awhile.
Thanks...
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2022 07:15 am
I have a copy of this book:

Revisiting weird foods of ‘Unmentionable Cuisine’: Earthworm broth, anyone?

Quote:
Culling my bookshelves recently, I came across my much-thumbed copy of “Unmentionable Cuisine” and remembered the dinners, years ago, that Bonnie Hughes of the late Augusta’s Restaurant in Berkeley organized with author Calvin W. Schwabe. The menus read something like this: deep-fried turkey testicles with Parmesan, baked lamb eyes with truffles and shiitake, veal brains in coconut cream, intestine dumplings, and fried crickets and peanuts — and that’s just for appetizers. Main dishes included red-cooked duck tongues, whole stuffed frog, grilled guinea pig, and grilled rattlesnake marinated in whiskey, ginger and soy. The dinners had the thrill of the illicit, and everyone had a merry time.

In the 35 years since the book was published, some of these then-"unmentionable” ingredients have become eminently mentionable, even prized. Menus, at least in Los Angeles, now routinely list beef cheeks, oxtails, pig’s ears or feet, sweetbreads, marrow bones and the occasional blood sausage. Gastronauts boast about eating fish sperm sacs or chitlins or chapulines (Oaxaca’s fried crickets). Whole-animal butchery has been embraced by a new generation of chefs and/or butchers, who often use the odd bits for charcuterie or salumi.

But while “Unmentionable Cuisine” is a reminder of how far we’ve come in what we are willing to try, it also shows us how far we still have to go.

“Unmentionable Cuisine” was an early manifesto for Americans to abandon what had become a narrow diet and try some of the foods that millions of people around the world enjoy. A professor of veterinary epidemiology at UC Davis and a member of the International Committee for the Anthropology of Food and Food Habits, Schwabe, who died in 2006, lived in remote corners of the globe for more than 30 years. An avid cook who was both curious and sociable, he collected recipes over the years from restaurant owners, cooks and people he met in markets wherever he lived.

In the book, Schwabe urged Americans to reexamine their food prejudices, not from some holier-than-thou height but because he seriously believed people were missing out on some delicious stuff. “It is meant to be a practical guide to help us and our children prepare for the not too distant day when the world’s growing food-population problem presses closer upon us and our overly restrictive eating habits become less tolerable,” he wrote. “I do not think this prospect need portend disaster, for opening our minds about foods and educating our palates to receive new and varied taste experiences could prove as enjoyable an experience as it will be a necessary one.”

Things looked pretty bleak then, as he noted that Americans not only “eat many fewer species of animals today than in times past, but rarely do we eat anything more than the muscle tissues of even those animals” and that 40% of all the beef we eat is “in the form of the mechanically ground, homogenous paste we call hamburger.”

So, of course, his first chapter is beef with recipes that cycle through the whole animal (whole roasted ox from England) to recipes for headcheese, beef tongue, cheeks, osso buco and oxtail Roman-style, all not that far out for anybody with a semi-adventurous palate. But what about a recipe for “slivers of ox palate” or, here’s a good one, calf’s eyes stuffed with truffles, then dipped in eggs and bread crumbs and deep-fried. He’s included dishes of spleen, pancreas, blood, mountain oysters (testicles), even a French recipe for calf udder croquettes.

Much of the book features even more unfamiliar fare on the order of earthworm broth, Samoan baked fruit bats, Turkish sheep’s feet with yogurt, Estremaduran cat stew, French crepes with fish sperm and béchamel, uterus sausage and stuffed sow’s udder. To tantalize with just a few.

This book is sure to deflate any idea that you or I have tried everything. I’ve had porcupine and cane rat stew at a rather fancy restaurant in West Africa. That’s nothing. Schwabe confronts us with our own culinary myopia backed up with a veritable avalanche of recipes, all written in the kind of shorthand real cooks favor.

As a practical-minded scientist, he also makes the suggestion that maybe we should think about eating our pests, starting with pigeons. Gourmands’ highly prized squab, he points out, is merely a 25- to 30-day-old pigeon about to leave the nest. And then there’s rattlesnake and other reptiles.

And finally, dear readers, he gets to insects, with recipes for silkworm omelet from China, red ant chutney from India and bee grubs in coconut cream from Thailand. My favorite, though, has to be crisp roasted termites from Swaziland. Just wait till I get hold of those buggers gnawing at my house.

“Unmentionable Cuisine” is still in print in paperback (University of Virginia Press, $24.50.)

latimes

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2022 08:36 am
I remember years ago contests for the best earthworm recipes. Not anymore. I guess they never caught on.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2022 09:36 am
@edgarblythe,
There was a thing on the radio about eating insects.

The most successful was a type of mealworm that was dried, ground into flour and then baked into cookies.
Linkat

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2022 10:06 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

There was a thing on the radio about eating insects.

The most successful was a type of mealworm that was dried, ground into flour and then baked into cookies.

That would work as you are not tasting the insect.

Yep I draw the line on insects and monkey brains.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2022 10:21 am
@Linkat,
On QI a long time back there was talk about peanut butter and insect parts. A statistic that said whatever percentage of it caused uproar and the producers had to take action and they did.

The problem is the insect peanut butter was higher in protein while the other one was higher in pesticide.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2022 02:19 pm
@izzythepush,
And that should have been a rational consideration in even the design phase.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2022 02:23 pm
@hightor,
Mixed feelings: they make great fish bait, but here in the new world, they are an invasive species.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2022 01:45 pm
@izzythepush,
I haven't had, but look forward to eating those fat grubs they roast on survival shows. I could see them for home meals, I understand their texture is like shrimp or crawdads.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2022 02:01 pm
@izzythepush,
BTW: I profusely apologize for those American pinheads, who unfortunately decided the British really needed American squirrels and crayfish. A minor redeeming factor - they are both delicious.
0 Replies