How many of this years 2022 Oscar nominations have you seen?

Ragman

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2022 03:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
The police or legal part seems like won’t be going anywhere. However, the social part will have reverberations for a long time. Perhaps comedians and Oscar night have to be better thought out.

Bring back Billy Crystal! He was funny and had an idea of how to make a good show move along.
jcboy

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2022 03:04 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Bring back Billy Crystal! He was funny and had an idea of how to make a good show move along.

I liked Billy Crystal, there has been others that I don't recall at the moment but I was not a fan of Ellen.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2022 05:42 pm
The Oscars have had drama in the past.

Relentless Indigenous Woman
55t511Sh8 t1t460hfrc9sof0rea ·
Leaving this right here.
-
[Image Description:
A Tweet by DJ BobaFatt that says, “people talking about the Oscars ugliest moment. Some perspective… John Wayne was held back by six security guys because he was trying to get on stage to hit this woman.” This was a response to a Tweet by Rafael Shimunov that says, “1973: native American actor Sacheen Littlefeather boo’d and cheered by Hollywood at the Oscars before being mocked by Clint Eastwood and almost physically assaulted by John Wayne simply for asking that Indigenous People not be dehumanized in film

Wayne was waiting in the wings when Littlefeather took the stage. She later said, “During my presentation, he was coming towards me to forcibly take me off the stage, and he had to be restrained by six security men to prevent him from doing so.”

Assaulting a Native American would be entirely in line with Wayne’s characters over the years, and his legacy may look a bit different if those guards had not stopped him. Littlefeather went to Brando’s home after the ceremony and has devoted the rest of her life to activism for the Native American community.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2022 06:34 pm
@jcboy,
Ricky Gervais called them out as paedos. Didn't hear a whimper from 'em then.

0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2022 07:49 pm
The Oscars are so overrated - no real movie stars anymore, no glamour, and the actors who receive awards are mostly pre-chosen and it's all political. They have so many award shows nowadays, just get rid of them!!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2022 04:33 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

I'm not buying the stunt angle. No one is getting the publicity they want here.

There is absolutely no way that was a stunt.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2022 07:31 am
@jcboy,
I love Ellen, but she always seems a bit uncomfortable on stage.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2022 07:56 am
<——— not an Ellen fan for about 3, 4 years. Testimonies from wait staff, her personal staff, and her show staff are very consistent.

She went out of her way to try to get a waitress fired. Who does that? It was because of chipped fingernail polish.

Will Smith should slap her.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2022 04:32 pm
@Lash,
Depriving someone of their livelihood over superficial details is a pretty damning thing, no doubt. Being proud of it is unforgivable. As is going out of one's way to get someone fired.

Seriously, do we really want people going around slapping each other? In an age of concealed carry and the standing of one's ground, yet?
Lash

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2022 08:47 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Your sense of humor needs a workout.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2022 03:30 pm
Many are saying this tarnishes the "black experience." Putting the burden squarely on the shoulders of who after all are just two men. If they were white I doubt there would be that kind of talk.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2022 03:58 pm
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2022 12:52 pm
I'm late to the thread, but I have only seen 5 of the nominated films.

From the best I have seen, to the worst:
1. West Side Story
2. The Power Of The Dog
3. Dune
4. Don't Look Up
5. Drive My Car

West Side Story was surprisingly well done and addressed my issue with the 1961 film (most of the Latino characters played by white actors in brownface) by having the Latino characters played by Latinos.

The Power of the Dog is definitely a slow burn but I liked the revenge story and the themes on masculinity.

I was not the biggest fan of the Dune novel, but I did like the film adaptation for the most part.

Don't Look Up was shamelessly overt on the allegorical climate change story but the cast performances were top notch.

I was not impressed by Drive My Car. It was 3 hours long and I was already bored 30 minutes in.

Spencer or The French Dispatch should have been nominated instead.
0 Replies