How many of this years 2022 Oscar nominations have you seen?

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2022 09:24 pm
There's a clip from the Oscars of Will Smith slapping the **** out of Chris Rock for remarks that made Will's wife uncomfortable.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2022 02:18 am
@coluber2001,
You didn't say that.

You Americans are very good at claiming credit for what other people do.

PBS had fa to do with the Durrells until after it was made and they bought it.

A little honesty please.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2022 04:32 am
@edgarblythe,

#Awkward
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2022 04:41 am
@edgarblythe,
Will Smith was laughing along until he saw his wife's reaction.

I think that's why he hit him, guilt for laughing at jokes directed towards his wife.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2022 06:35 am
@izzythepush,
I didn't watch it or listen to what was said, just saw a clip on facebook.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2022 06:42 am
Will knows that Jada has been very traumatized by having alopecia. So, he was defending her honor, so to speak. Chris Rock should never have joked about her hair as I'm sure he knows about her health condition. But Will should have waited and confronted him after the show.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2022 06:59 am
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

Will knows that Jada has been very traumatized by having alopecia. So, he was defending her honor, so to speak. Chris Rock should never have joked about her hair as I'm sure he knows about her health condition. But Will should have waited and confronted him after the show.

I would not watch an Oscar's show if you paid me...but I have seen a clip of the incident.

It was an assault...with battery.

Smith should pay a price for what he did...and the notion of the cops saying that "the victim" is unwilling to press charges is ludicrous. The incident happened with film and tape running.

Violence has no place in our society.
jcboy

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2022 07:12 am
@Frank Apisa,
Very true Frank, Assault is not ok. He could have confronted him after the show in a non violent manner.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2022 07:14 am
@Frank Apisa,
True, but that particular crime requires the victim to press charges. I saw some comments from comedians this morning saying "now we all have to look out for the next person who wants to be Will Smith". I doubt Rock wrote that joke, he was likely running off a script, but that is a terrible joke, making fun of someone with a disease. I think Amy Schumer pretty much got it right with her jokes. It's a fine line to walk when you are roasting people.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2022 07:33 am
@coluber2001,
Sitting shiva isn't a wake.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2022 08:04 am
Possibly a crime of passion.

He saw his already wounded wife further injured. He reacted viscerally.
—————
I guess he was willing to accept the consequences. On that point, he’s lucky Rock has chosen —so far— not to press charges. Whether there’s a ‘cancelling’ or a permanent snubbing by the Academy remains to be known.

He’s wealthy. He may consider the risks worth the pleasure he got from that slap.

I wonder what Denzel and Perry said to him.

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2022 08:23 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

There's a clip from the Oscars of Will Smith slapping the **** out of Chris Rock for remarks that made Will's wife uncomfortable.

So I had it on but wasn't 100% watching it was doing other stuff....so I saw this happening and just thought it was part if the joke...just because I wasn't fully listening and watching.

I mean really Will Smith slapping someone? Not until this morning when I heard it was fully intentional.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2022 08:24 am
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

I am sure he hadn't thought it out...gotta be just an immediate reaction.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2022 10:01 am

I’ve been studying the fallout from the Will Smith and Chris Rock incident.⁣

➡️ It’s like a Rorschach test.⁣

Do you know what a Rorschach test is?⁣

It’s where psychiatrists show patients random inkblots on paper and then ask them what they see. And the responses are supposed to be very insightful into the psyche of that person. ⁣

That’s what this incident between Will and Chris Rock is. ⁣

I see a 100 different positions and points and takes. And they are all very very real. ⁣

Some people see one very particular thing and another person sees something TOTALLY different.⁣

1. I see friends of mine calling Will Smith a coward and calling his slap against Chris Rock a cheap shot that Chris never could’ve expected. ⁣

2. I see friends of mine hailing Will Smith as courageous and celebrating him stepping up to defend his wife.⁣

—⁣

1. I see people saying this is exactly how we should protect Black women.⁣

2. And I see people saying this is precisely the wrong way, the worst possible way, to protect Black women. ⁣

—⁣

1. I see people saying Chris HAD to know that Jada has alopecia.⁣

2. I see people who spoke to Chris who said he had no idea whatsoever and thought it was just a new shirt haircut she liked. ⁣

—⁣

1. I see people saying how proud they are of Will. ⁣

2. I see people saying how deeply disappointed they are in Will.⁣

—⁣

That’s what I mean by a Rorschach test. Good people, smart people, informed people are all seeing WILDLY different things in this situation. ⁣

➡️ And here’s what I know… you can offer a truly smart opinion, a well-meaning one, and easily leave 99 important thoughts and ideas out - and make it seem like you haven’t thought it all through.⁣

This thing is about.⁣

1. Power⁣
2. Fame⁣
3. Masculinity⁣
4. Jokes⁣
5. Violence⁣
6. Marriage⁣
7. Shame⁣
8. Boundaries⁣
9. Trauma⁣
10. Health⁣
11. Race⁣
12. Class⁣
13. Policing ⁣
14. Television⁣
15. Security⁣
16. Insults ⁣
17. Limits⁣
18. Celebrity ⁣

And sooooooooo much more. So much. ⁣

I think we will be talking about this thing for the rest of our lives. I truly do. ⁣

It’s that big. And that complex. ⁣

Love y’all.⁣

Shaun⁣ King
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2022 11:02 am
Oh FFS, you all do realize this was a publicity stunt. Don't you?
Linkat

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2022 11:24 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

Oh FFS, you all do realize this was a publicity stunt. Don't you?

Well then maybe my first inclination was correct....I thought that was completely it...the whole thing was a big joke...then I am hearing all this this morning .

If it is real though I did hear one thing that stuck with me...words can be violent too...not that it excuses anyone to return violence being it physical or otherwise as then you are just as guilty but to be cognizant of how your words can hurt as much as a slap in the face.

Just watch the new mini series The Girl from Plainville and see how violent words can be.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2022 12:04 pm
To go to something more positive that I enjoyed was Liza Minnelli and Lady Gaga presentation. Loved their interaction.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2022 12:06 pm
@jespah,
I'm not buying the stunt angle. No one is getting the publicity they want here.
Ragman

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2022 01:29 pm
@engineer,
I thought so (stunt) at first watching. After I rewatched, I’m just not thinking that way. I need to see the individuals now and how they speak of the incident. If it was to build ratings, it sure did get people talking and tuning in. Not convinced. Chris and Will are too smart (I thought) to just let this happen that way. I’m often wrong.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2022 01:42 pm
The Los Angeles Police Department said in a statement that it was aware of the incident and that Rock declined to file a police report.

“The incident involved one individual slapping another,” the statement read. “The individual involved has declined to file a police report. If the involved party desires a police report at a later date, LAPD will be available to complete an investigative report.”