How many of this years 2022 Oscar nominations have you seen?

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2022 07:09 pm

BELFAST
CODA
DON'T LOOK UP
DRIVE MY CAR
DUNE

KING RICHARD
LICORICE PIZZA
NIGHTMARE ALLEY
THE POWER OF THE DOG
WEST SIDE STORY

I've seen 7 out of the 10 Best Picture nominations.

Which ones are your favorite? Which were the worst?

Lash

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2022 09:08 pm
I’ve only seen one, really want to see one other, and have a slight interest in 2 more. I usually have seen all but one or two.

Just not feeling it much anymore.

I have high hopes for Belfast.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2022 05:33 am
@tsarstepan,
I've seen Nightmare Alley, Dune, and Don't Look Up.

In my opinion, none of them deserve to be nominees for Best Picture...or in any other category.

Thing seem to be pretty bad with the film industry right now.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2022 08:24 am
Dune and King Richard for me. I thought Dune was ok but not really worth the accolades it received (and I've read the book seven or eight times so I was predisposed to like it.) I thought King Richard was excellent (but I'm a serious tennis fan and again predisposed to like it.)
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2022 10:41 am
@tsarstepan,
zero, zippo, nada
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2022 12:37 pm
You know what might be nice…. Some bright and interested person (tsar) creating our own awards. Movies, series, books, actors, visual experiences of the year. Time to compile an internationally inclusive list. Time to view / read / experience.

A voting period, conversations about…

Anyway. Something to do.

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2022 12:39 pm
Made me miss Lightwizard.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2022 01:06 pm
I haven't actually been in a brick-and-mortar theater in years, but I do listen to reviews, and I take them into account when I'm streaming movies. The Academy Awards are not interesting to me anymore, but I suspect that those who do attend in person and win awards are only doing so for their resume. Otherwise these awards shows are just another chore for actors that they have to put up with.
Lash

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2022 01:10 pm
I agree. That’s why I think it’d be fun to task ourselves with compiling and judging —to our standards— the best of the year.

The conversations about it would probably be a joy to read.

Coluber, I have a feeling your contributions would be deeply satisfying to readers.
Linkat

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2022 01:52 pm
@coluber2001,
coluber2001 wrote:

Otherwise these awards shows are just another chore for actors that they have to put up with.

But they get great swag! Aren't those trinket gift bags worth a cool couple hundred thousand?
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2022 09:47 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I agree. That’s why I think it’d be fun to task ourselves with compiling and judging —to our standards— the best of the year.

The conversations about it would probably be a joy to read.

Coluber, I have a feeling your contributions would be deeply satisfying to readers.

Thank you, but I've only seen one 2021 movie, Pig, with Nicholas Cage.

I think it could have been worse. I expected a violent climax at the end with Cage rescuing his pig and seeking revenge like any teenage action movie. That didn't happen, which was good. But, my God, the masochism!

I suppose the theme was that it's a brutal, patriarchal world, and you should accept it with grace. Strangely enough, it was an anti-violence movie with gratuitous violence.

I would like a rewrite. A former gourmet chef lives in the forest with his pig seeking truffles to sell on the market. A good start, but rewrite the rest of the play.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2022 10:20 am
Now, I want to see it. Haha.

I may be just speaking for myself, but I think as we get older, we get out so much less.
——————

Anyway. I’m grasping for some kind of good direction for my entertainment choices. I feel like I reached the end of the internet.

I didn’t like the storyline shift of Britannia’s Season 3 or Mrs. Maisel’s Season4. I don’t think I’ve been the same since Game of Thrones.

Honorable Mention, though, for nice respites: Mare of Easttown, Watchmen (!!!), and The Outsider.

I guess I’ll just hang around the ‘latest thing I saw streaming’ threads. 🙃
coluber2001

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2022 11:01 am
@Lash,
I recommend an old movie The Best Offer, with Geoffrey Rush, if you haven't seen it. I suppose it's made for the cynic because the theme is, "everybody cheats". Remember the bicycle movie, Breaking Away, where teenage Dave expresses his enlightenment with the phrase, "everybody cheats".

Of course, not everybody cheats, but cynics like to think so.

One of the best series I've seen is an
English series, The Durrells. It's about a London widow with four children who moves to the island of Corfu off the northwest coast of Greece.

The story was written by one of her sons, Gerald. It's based on the true story, well, you know how that goes.

The series was originally shown on PBS.
To see the series, you either have to subscribe to some service or else find two free services that show the series. It's not easy to find. If you're interested I can show you how to find these free services.

Currently, I'm watching all the Woody Allen movies. Some of them are better than others, but none are bad.

Lash

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2022 11:49 am
@coluber2001,
Well, in the very least, I know I can rely on your suggestions. I’ve seen the Rush film and The Durrells, and did enjoy both!

I tried ‘Breaking Away’ close to the time it was released, so maybe I should try again.

I really appreciate your suggestions.

I’m a big Woody film fan. I’ll try to list a few favorites.

1. Annie Hall
2. Manhattan
3. Interiors
4. Husbands and Wives
5. Manhattan Murder Mystery
6. Deconstructing Harry
7. Hannah and Her Sisters
8. Play it Again, Sam
9. Crimes and Misdemeanors
10. Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex…

I wanted to like these two, but REALLY DIDN’T
1. Midnight in Paris
2. Irrational Man

————————

Happy viewing.

Lash

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2022 01:39 pm
Judah Friedlander Netflix is hilarious.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2022 02:19 pm
@Lash,
A Dangerous Method (2011) based on a true story. (really?)
Sabina Spielrein is a patient of Jung, who becomes a psychoanalyst, probably better than Jung and Freud.

Indignation (2016)
A Jewish boy and a beautiful girl meet in college. The Jewish boy's mother only wants what's best for him and blackmails him for his own good. This can't end well.

This Is Where I Leave You (2014)
Jason Bateman and Jane Fonda

Comedy about a dysfunctional family forced to meet at home after the patriarch's death for a Shiva, which is a 7-day wake.

Lash

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2022 02:20 pm
@coluber2001,
A-ha! All new to me, thanks. I’ll try them!
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2022 11:42 am
@coluber2001,
coluber2001 wrote:

One of the best series I've seen is an
English series, The Durrells. It's about a London widow with four children who moves to the island of Corfu off the northwest coast of Greece.

The story was written by one of her sons, Gerald. It's based on the true story, well, you know how that goes.

The series was originally shown on PBS.

It was originally shown on ITV in the UK. It is a British production, PBS bought the rights to show it.
coluber2001

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2022 01:31 pm
@izzythepush,
I meant originally shown in the US.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2022 08:26 pm
I only saw "Don't look up" - I found it to be a great movie!

I have also seen "The lost daughter" and found it awful and boring. Wait, that's not even on there....it was at the Golden Globe
0 Replies