Donald Trump Says He Wanted Mike Pence to Overturn the Election for First Time.

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2022 09:46 am
Donald Trump Says He Wanted Mike Pence to Overturn the Election for First Time.

Published: January 31, 2022

Quote:
Donald Trump has admitted that he wanted former Vice President Mike Pence to have "overturned the Election" while the 2020 results were being certified during his ceremonial role as presiding officer of the Senate.

In a statement released on Sunday night attacking bipartisan efforts to reform the Electoral Count Act, the former president suggested Pence had the power to stop the results being certified in favor of Joe Biden.

However, Trump's remarks are the first time he has described his intention as overturning the election results, which Pence "unfortunately" failed to do.

While the potential update of the Electoral Count Act of 1887 proposed by lawmakers such as Republican Senators Susan Collins and Mitt Romney and Democrat Senator Joe Manchin would clarify the role the vice president has in certifying presidential elections, Trump suggested it actually aims to prevent a VP from changing the outcome of the results, and therefore Pence did have the power to do so.

"If the Vice President (Mike Pence) had 'absolutely no right' to change the Presidential Election results in the Senate, despite fraud and many other irregularities, how come the Democrats and RINO Republicans, like Wacky Susan Collins, are desperately trying to pass legislation that will not allow the Vice President to change the results of the election?" Trump said.

"Actually, what they are saying, is that Mike Pence did have the right to change the outcome, and they now want to take that right away.

"Unfortunately, he didn't exercise that power, he could have overturned the Election!"

A number of people criticized Trump's statement admitting he wanted his former vice president to overturn the election while still attempting to suggest Pence could have stopped the votes being certified in favor of Biden.

Rep. Adam Kinzinger, one of two Republican members of the House committee investigating the attack on the Capitol, tweeted: "This is an admission, and a massively un-American statement. It is time for every Republican leader to pick a side...Trump or the Constitution, there is no middle on defending our nation anymore."

Just Opening the Envelopes

George Conway, a lawyer and the husband of former White House counselor Kellyanne Conway, added: "The answer is: The Twelfth Amendment and the Electoral Count Act of 1887 already make it entirely clear that the Vice President merely opens the envelopes. But sometimes we want to make laws even clearer so that even semiliterate psychopaths have a chance at understanding them."

For more than a year, including in the days prior to the January 6 attack on the Capitol, Trump attempted to suggest Pence could have stopped the election results being certified and his supporters should blame the vice president if Biden is officially declared president.

On January 5, one day before his supporters stormed the Capitol in an attempt to stop the result being certified, Trump tweeted that Pence "has the power to reject fraudulently chosen electors." Trump had also told a crowd at a rally in Georgia how he hopes Pence "comes through for us" with regards to stopping the election results from being certified.

While the insurrection at the Capitol was taking place, Trump was still suggesting Pence had the power to prevent the election being certified, tweeting that he "didn't have the courage to do what should have been done."

Violent Mob

As the riot inside the Capitol building was taking place, a mob could be heard chanting "hang Mike Pence" in the corridors as Trump's supporters appeared to support the former president's claims that Pence should have stopped the results from being certified.

During the second day of Trump's Senate trial for allegedly inciting the attack, House impeachment manager Stacey Plaskett said the violent mob was "looking for" Pence because he had "refused to do what the president demanded" and that they were "talking about assassinating" the vice president.

Just before he was due to begin presiding over the joint session of Congress to count the votes, Pence issued a statement in which he made clear there is no constitutional or legal basis for him to reject the election votes during his purely ceremonial role as presiding officer of the Senate.

Pence also recently told Fox News' Jesse Walters that he and Trump haven't spoken since "last summer" following the January 6 fallout.

Trump and Pence have been contacted for comment.

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-mike-pence-overturn-election-1674410
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 694 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2022 09:58 am
@Real Music,
In a bombshell statement, Donald Trump has admitted that he wanted Pence to overturn the 2020 presidential election results. Trump said “Pence did have the right to change the outcome… Unfortunately, he didn’t exercise that power, he could have overturned the Election!” At the same time, Trump is also saying he will consider pardoning the Jan. 6 rioters if he wins the 2024 election.

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2022 10:32 am
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

In a bombshell statement, Donald Trump has admitted that he wanted Pence to overturn the 2020 presidential election results. Trump said “Pence did have the right to change the outcome… Unfortunately, he didn’t exercise that power, he could have overturned the Election!” At the same time, Trump is also saying he will consider pardoning the Jan. 6 rioters if he wins the 2024 election.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbGpiBCRihA[/youtube]

The real problem is that Trump is a moron...and does not know how to word his comments in a way that disguises his real intentions.

He could have done a better job of wording, but like I said, he is a moron.
snood

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2022 11:47 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I don’t know, Frank. It seems he’s smart enough to have learned at least one thing for sure…

He’s learned that he doesn’t need to be careful because he never has to pay a price to account for his actions.

At least so far.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2022 08:40 am
@Real Music,
If you were a candidate in an election and lost, and believed that you lost because of cheating, would you want the results certified as correct and proper?
engineer

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2022 08:44 am
@Brandon9000,
Since Trump would never believe he lost and would always attribute it to cheating, your position is that he would always be justified in demanding that any election he lost be overturned?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2022 09:17 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

If you were a candidate in an election and lost, and believed that you lost because of cheating, would you want the results certified as correct and proper?

If I were a candidate for President and lost the popular vote by 8,000,000 votes and the Electoral College by a landslide...I probably would shut the hell up and take my medicine.

But if I were such a moron that I would claim that I had been cheated to that degree...and that I thought my opponents were able to pull off such an incredible deed...and I were not able to provide evidence because they were so skilled...

...I also would just shut the hell up and take my medicine.

Otherwise I would look like a ******* moron.

Hope that answers your question from my perspective, Brandon.

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2022 09:35 am
@Frank Apisa,
Exactly right, an 8,000,000+ lead with no evidence of chicanery, except for less than 10 GOPers who voted twice in a several states. That's not a smoking gun.

I suspect Brandon9000 killed the Kennedy's - let's arrest him and investigate.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2022 09:40 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Exactly right, an 8,000,000+ lead with no evidence of chicanery, except for less than 10 GOPers who voted twice in a several states. That's not a smoking gun.

I suspect Brandon9000 killed the Kennedy's - let's arrest him and investigate.

The people still defending Trump must have stomachs made of cast iron!

I just cannot see how they do it.

I've just cut a long time friend out of my life over this crap.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2022 09:41 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

If I were a candidate for President and lost the popular vote by 8,000,000 votes and the Electoral College by a landslide...I probably would shut the hell up and take my medicine.

But if I were such a moron that I would claim that I had been
cheated to that degree...and that I thought my opponents were able to pull off such an incredible deed...and I were not able to provide evidence because they were so skilled...

🔥Well said, Frank🔥
coluber2001

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2022 10:07 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

The point is that Trump never really believed that there was cheating in the polls. Fascists play the victim as a red herring to distract from their own cheating.

The only sense that Trump believes there was cheating in the polls is that he is deeply racist and doesn't believe that the inner city vote (black vote) should be counted because his lie is the same as the basic American lie (slavery) that blacks are not human. Republicans are trying to rectify that by making it more difficult for blacks to vote. It's a the return of the Jim Crow laws.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2022 12:43 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

But if I were such a moron that I would claim that I had been
cheated to that degree...and that I thought my opponents were able to pull off such an incredible deed...and I were not able to provide evidence because they were so skilled...

🔥Well said, Frank🔥

Thanks, Snood.

A while back in another thread you asked me how I could continue friendships with right wingers. At that time I told you I would not give up good friendships over political stances.

I WAS WRONG!

I just eliminated a long-time "friend" from my friend list...and I intend to refuse "friendship" to or from him from this point on.

My wife and I had met him and his wife at a mall. They recently moved and now live a good distance from us; the mall was sorta midway between us. We showed up double masked...they were without masks. They had their dog with them...and simply brought the dog into the mall smirking, "We'll call her a service dog."

I could see the look of disdain on his face because of the masks, but he actually did not say anything during the short visit. The next day, however, I got an email from him asking a favor.

"Please do me a favor and listen to the following podcast. Spotify – Joe Rogan Experience #1757 - Dr. Robert Malone, MD. You're a smart guy, and I know you can be very objective, I'd like to hear your opinion. I am hopeful that you will not dis me on this one."

I knew where that was going...so I responded telling him that I have never listened to a podcast ever...and did not intend to start with this one. I was a courteous response...but firm.

He ended up calling me close-minded for refusing.

After several more exchanges, it ended up with him telling me to go **** myself...and me suggesting he do the same.

The only thing during the entire exchange (a dozen emails back and forth) that we were able to agree on was, "There may well be a second civil war brewing." (He suggested it was because of the leftists, I obviously disagreed.)

BUT...and this is an important "but"...IF a civil war does ensure, he will be trying to kill me and people like me (or applauding people trying to kill me and people like me)...

...and I, to my great shame, will be applauding people trying to kill him and people like him.

How in the name of everything logical can two people so disposed possibly claim friendship?

They cannot.

I'll not alienate myself from family members still on the right wing. One cannot choose one's relatives as one does with friends. But during that first American Civil War...brothers fought brothers...and fathers fought sons. Something none of us ought to forget.

What a screwed up world we have right now.

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2022 03:12 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank, that has been my experience, too. 99% of the time I'm being asked to be "open minded" about information being pitched from people of no particular germane connection by people who have no qualification to objectively judge the particular claim; who are not in away shape or form open minded about science developed by scientists.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2022 03:23 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Frank, that has been my experience, too. 99% of the time I'm being asked to be "open minded" about information being pitched from people of no particular germane connection by people who have no qualification to objectively judge the particular claim; who are not in away shape or form open minded about science developed by scientists.

Yeah. It happens a lot more than it should. It has got to stop. I do not want to see the war that may come between our two factions, but I no longer want to treat people on that side as friends just making minor mistakes.

They are NOT minor at all.
0 Replies