What I like about my fellow A2K-ers...

maxdancona

Wed 29 Dec, 2021 09:12 pm
My question for my "Fellow A2K-ers". What do you want the Able2know community to be?

1) Is Able2know an insular community of right thinking people reinforcing a set of political beliefs?

2) Or is Able2know a diverse group of people with varied perspectives who can discuss ideas, and express opinions freely.

Able2know is dominated by people with a narrow set of political ideologies. This site is dominated by nastiness against anyone who doesn't fit in. I will admit I wouldn't feel the same about this thread if Roger had started it instead of Mame.

How should people who fall outside of Mame's definition of "fellow A2K-ers" respond to this thread?

To me, this thread feels like tribalism. It is reinforcing the definition of the community as people who conform. And, in the context of how nasty Able2know has become, I think my emotion is at least understandable.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Wed 29 Dec, 2021 09:16 pm
If a person starts a thread I don't like or care about, I don't post on it.

But here, I was mentioned by name. Thanks for that!

There's too many people on this forum I hold in regard and a few I don't.

Oh well, Life Goes On.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Wed 29 Dec, 2021 09:32 pm
On Able2know people are judged by how they express the ideologically correct opinion rather than on their behavior. People in the clique can call people Nazis and attack their families; all to great applause. People who express the wrong opinion, but do so respectfully are jeered.

Ask yourself, what type of community do you want to be a part of? Do want an insular group attacking outsiders, or do you want a diverse community able to discussion different perspectives. The insular group making nasty attacks seems to be winning.

That's all I have to say. I will leave the thread now to whatever tribal self-congratulatory back slapping you all want to engage in.
engineer

Wed 29 Dec, 2021 09:56 pm
To me A2K is like Mayberry RFD. We're small time without the benefits of the big sites but without their problems too. The sheriff keeps the Nigerian Princes and their spammy friends out, we have an interesting cast of characters, some of whom occasionally end up in the local jail to sleep off a night of binge posting and we get the occasional passerby looking for directions. Everyone is here because they want to be, it's not like there aren't alternatives on the Internet. Happy New Year everyone. May 2022 be better than all the years before it.
Linkat

Thu 30 Dec, 2021 09:03 am
I have been thinking about this. I was concerned about picking some people and leaving others out. Now I know we are all adults but even so there is something good about everyone here. I thought I think I will choose those people who seem to be liked the least or have a reputation of being on the outs or more oddball like. But then I thought people might think I'm being sarcastic which I admit I am often times.

So instead I am speaking about all... What I like about A2k fellows...I do feel that other A2kers are generally nice people...although often times on here an individual or group of individuals are not always kind ... Me included...I feel the heart is there and it comes from a place of trying to help even if not said in the kindest terms. We do not agree on all things, and often times those differences causes people to be cruel...overall though I do think if you gloss over everyone being cruel and stupid sometimes...there is a kind soul there beneath all here.

It is so much easier to dump on someone when you do not see their face in front of you. I honestly feel if you met in person you would find a kind person or two who you might disagree with on political issues or religion or ethical feelings but you just might enjoy a cup of coffee and a few laughs.

maxdancona

Thu 30 Dec, 2021 09:23 am
@Linkat,
Thank you Linkat. You are a kind thoughtful person, I can tell that by how you write.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Thu 30 Dec, 2021 09:26 am
I don't interact with a number of the members here. I am pretty certain, however, that if we met in person there would not be the kind of vitriol that gets stirred up on these forums. Only if they wanted to punch me in the nose would we not get along.
0 Replies

Mame

Thu 30 Dec, 2021 09:34 am
@engineer,
What a great analogy, engineer.
hightor

Thu 30 Dec, 2021 09:46 am
@Mame,
Quote:

Yeah, it sure beats my high school cafeteria analogy!
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Thu 30 Dec, 2021 09:54 am
@maxdancona,
Is there anything on A2K that isn't about you personally?
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Thu 30 Dec, 2021 09:58 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
That would be awfully hypocritical of me.

No more over top then your usual detritus.
glitterbag

Thu 30 Dec, 2021 10:03 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Do you have any special plans for New Years Eve?? We always stay home, it's quiet but we enjoy it.
glitterbag

Thu 30 Dec, 2021 10:04 am
@Mame,
Engineer has always been good about picking out the truth from the fiction.
0 Replies

Linkat

Thu 30 Dec, 2021 10:13 am
Sorry to be negative but there are several people on here actually saying negative things about others ...I thought this us supposed to be about what you like in others ... Not what you dislike. To add to that many people are giving thumbs up on these.

I suggest that if someone does this or ways something you do not like you simply ignore it ....

Sorry to rant on your thread Mame but it is kind if the opposite of what it seems this thread is about....being kind and positive going into the next year.

This was one reason I was going to avoid stating what I like because some people really have difficulty doing so no matter their intentions.
neptuneblue

Thu 30 Dec, 2021 10:17 am
@Linkat,
Well then, maybe Max should have ignored this thread.

But of course, not....
Linkat

Thu 30 Dec, 2021 10:26 am
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:

Well then, maybe Max should have ignored this thread.

But of course, not....

That may be true but so should anyone else ignore his remarks...if they want to keep the true nature of this thread ...otherwise they are just as guilty as he...the funny thing is anyone else saying dislike able things were giving a thumbs up.

The point I was making if you truly wanted to discuss what is likeable about others you simply ignore any negative comments whoever makes
them.

I am going to stop and leave this thread because as much as I disagree with max starting the negative thoughts ...you all are proving his point.

You just all fed into him baiting you.
neptuneblue

Thu 30 Dec, 2021 10:30 am
@Linkat,
Not my circus, not my monkey.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 30 Dec, 2021 10:30 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Not this side of the pond, I have no idea what it is.

Then again that's part of A2K's charm,finding out new things.

I first came on here looking for the phrase white bread, I'd been all over the net with no success until I got here.

This place gives me a different perspective, and there are many people here who I admire.

It's very welcoming to people who have a genuine question.

Those who come on just to attack others or take some extreme political stance get short shrift.
bobsal u1553115

Thu 30 Dec, 2021 10:32 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
I will leave the thread now to whatever tribal self-congratulatory back slapping you all want to engage in.

Who are you trying to kid? You cannot resist a trolling. You will be back.
0 Replies

Mame

Thu 30 Dec, 2021 10:34 am
I love reading the political articles and opinion pieces ferreted out and posted by Coluber, TheCobbler, bobsal, hightor, and walter, to name but a few. I subscribe to a few, but certainly not all the outlets so it's refreshing to read what they post.

I particularly enjoyed reading TheCobbler's thoughts on this thread: https://able2know.org/topic/564613-5#post-7188233.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 10:13:06