What is Pseudoscience?

oralloy

Sat 25 Dec, 2021 03:14 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Oralloy has already said the Sandy Hook child murderers were acting in self defence.

That's a lie.

izzythepush wrote:
I'm sure There's some weird sexual thing going on there.

Leave me out of your perversions.

izzythepush wrote:
And the other one is the latest sockpuppet from Coldjoint.

Wrong. Coldjoint is not currently posting on a2k.
izzythepush

Sat 25 Dec, 2021 03:24 am
@oralloy,
You're the liar, and you tell such stupid lies, claiming to be a genius when you have the limited vocabulary of a backward seven year old.

You struggle with debate, most points shooting over your head.

If you're going to lie try telling a lie that might be believed, and nobody is going to believe you're not as thick as mince.
oralloy

Sat 25 Dec, 2021 03:42 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
You're the liar, and you tell such stupid lies,

Nope. The only liars here are you and Cobbler.

izzythepush wrote:
claiming to be a genius

I've never made such a claim. My IQ is 170 however.

izzythepush wrote:
you have the limited vocabulary of a backward seven year old.

That's another lie.

izzythepush wrote:
You struggle with debate, most points shooting over your head.

That's another lie.

izzythepush wrote:
If you're going to lie try telling a lie that might be believed,

I will leave the lying to you and Cobbler. I will stick to honesty instead.

izzythepush wrote:
and nobody is going to believe you're not as thick as mince.

You don't speak for any non-progressives. And "what progressives believe" is not a matter of any importance.
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Tue 28 Dec, 2021 12:54 pm
What if delving into your fears is not the right way to resolve human trauma?

What if psychiatry got it all wrong?

Then what is the alternative to that therapy?

What therapy should we replace that with?

When you burn yourself, do you treat the burn with more heat?
TheCobbler

Tue 28 Dec, 2021 02:47 pm
@TheCobbler,
Allegory.

When you wound yourself, you do not pull out a knife and dig the wound deeper. No, you cauterize the wound, cover it up and keep it away from infection.

But if a bullet or foreign particle like glass is lodged within the wound it will be painful, prone to infection and the particle in many cases must be removed.

Therefore, the wound must be opened, and the particle extracted.

But with psychology how do we know if a particle is lodged within the wound.

It seems in all cases we take a sharp object and dig the wound open trying to extract a thorn where there may be none to extract.

The wound would have healed fine on its own had it not been impaled even deeper with a sharp object.

And in digging this wound deeper a person runs the risk of damaging other vital organs and creating new serious problems.

This dilemma is the main reason why I consider psychiatry a pseudoscience.

The authority to which psychiatry rips open wounds without any thought as to the damage it is doing to other vital organs is remarkable.

And when a bullet needs to be dislodged how skillful is the surgeon?

Are they using a hammer instead of a scalpel?

Are they practicing hygiene? Are they able to properly suture up the wound after they have gouged a big hole out or amputated a limb?

And how do you suture up the human heart and mind?

What is the proper procedure for that?

We have a good idea what the physical heart is but the heart that has feelings and desires... we have relatively no consensus at all about what that is.

And what is the human will and where is it located in the body?

Is the will located in the heart or mind?

With these questions unanswered they still wheel you onto the operation couch and probe your innards with a sharp implement searching for that elusive foreign object.
maxdancona

Tue 28 Dec, 2021 06:00 pm
@TheCobbler,
Psychiatry is scientific. You can measure objectively the results of treatments.

I know someone with schizophrenia. Without medication his life is truly miserable. His symptoms make meaningful human interactions impossible... He is truly alone. With medications he functions aocially as an adult.

Of course, the effectiveness of these medications have been rigorously tested, peer reviewed and reproduced.
maxdancona

Tue 28 Dec, 2021 06:03 pm
@maxdancona,
On the other hand, much of psychology is pseudoscience.

I hate those personality tests some employers are giving. I lost a job by refusing on principle to take the stupid test (of course if I didnt have other options I would have probably kept my mouth shut).

These things are the equivalent of tarot cards.
TheCobbler

Tue 28 Dec, 2021 07:16 pm
@maxdancona,
The Difference Between Therapists and Psychiatrists
Therapists
https://onlinecounselingprograms.com/mental-health-careers/how-to-become-therapist/therapist-vs-clinical-psychiatrists/
A therapist can be a counselor, psychologist or other professional licensed to provide mental health care. “Therapist” is an umbrella term for professionals who are educated, trained and licensed to provide talk therapy or psychotherapy. During therapy, they can assess, diagnose and treat mental health disorders.

Most professionals who can call themselves therapists cannot prescribe medications that might be useful in treating mental health conditions. However in some states, psychologists with training in clinical psychopharmacology can prescribe certain medications External link to treat mental health conditions, according to the American Psychological Association.

Comment:
It is my understanding that psychiatrists don't measure the effectiveness of drugs, scientists do that. Psychiatrists simply prescribe them for conditions they are designated to treat. Statistical analysis derived from prescribers notes may be analyzed by scientists.

Drug testing is done through clinical trials by scientists in association with the federal government and universities/hospitals.

Psychiatrists are doctors but drugs are developed by chemists who are scientists.

Chemistry is a pure science up to a point...

What is the chemical formula for love?

Can you put love in a test tube and heat it up under a bunsen burner and get "hot love"? Not currently...

Some things in biological chemistry are still beyond our understanding.

Many drugs and supplements used treat various conditions, how they work is still unknown yet they are still prescribed because they do work.
maxdancona

Tue 28 Dec, 2021 07:43 pm
@TheCobbler,
If my life will be better with psychiatric medicine than without it, then I would take the medicine. Why not?

By the way, there are three chemicals involved in love. There formulqs are C8H11NO2, C10H12N2O and C43H66N12O12S2 (dopamone, seratonin and oxytocin)
TheCobbler

Wed 29 Dec, 2021 07:30 pm
@maxdancona,
Those chemicals that you list are not created by the body, they are artificially created so the do not have the body's same DNA.

Chemicals with the body's same DNA are many years ahead of our current technology. Besides, these chemicals may convince the mind that love is there but can they convince the heart?

And, I have to agree with you about drugs I do not take any myself. I do take a lot of supplements though.
maxdancona

Wed 29 Dec, 2021 09:54 pm
@TheCobbler,
TheCobbler wrote:

Those chemicals that you list are not created by the body, they are artificially created so the do not have the body's same DNA.

What are you talking about?

These are neurochemicals. They are naturally created by the body when you are in love.
TheCobbler

Fri 31 Dec, 2021 09:30 am
@maxdancona,
Maxdancona wrote:
What are you talking about?

These are neurochemicals. They are naturally created by the body when you are in love.

Google
Now researchers are using DNA in a new class of drugs that rev up the immune system, potentially helping to boost vaccines' power and even to fight cancer-all without ever entering a cell. The new drugs consist of short synthetic DNA segments that mimic gene sequences found only in bacteria. Nov 1, 2002

Comment:
Neurochemicals often rely on DNA to boost them and many of them are proteins. People respond differently to drugs.

also

Google
Can drugs be in your DNA?
For example, when a person uses cocaine, it can mark the DNA, increasing the production of proteins common in addiction. Increased levels of these altered proteins correspond with drug-seeking behaviors in animals. Aug 5, 2019

and this

Drug addiction is a complex disorder which can be influenced by both genetic and environmental factors by AN Brown · 2017 · Cited by 21 —

Comment:
Is medicine a pseudoscience?

And this

Is insulin a protein or DNA?
Insulin is a protein composed of two chains, an A chain (with 21 amino acids) and a B chain (with 30 amino acids), which are linked together by sulfur atoms. Insulin is derived from a 74-amino-acid prohormone molecule called proinsulin.

And this

Neurotrophic factors are biomolecules – nearly all of which are peptides or small proteins – that support the growth, survival, and differentiation of both developing and mature neurons.
maxdancona

Fri 31 Dec, 2021 10:16 am
@TheCobbler,
Cobbler,

Your body produces dopamine, seratonin and oxytocin naturally. You need them to regulate sleep, process emotions and I think to store memories. Without these chemical compounds, your brain would not function.

I don't know what you are talking about.

maxdancona

Fri 31 Dec, 2021 10:21 am
@maxdancona,
Humans evolved with an urge to procreate. These neurochemicals produced by your body are at higher levels when you are in a sexual relationship.

This is an evolutionary advantage; these neurochemicals not only produce sexual desire, they also are key to trust, emotional bonding and a feeling of security. These are exactly what is needed in a relationship.
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Fri 31 Dec, 2021 12:22 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Cobbler,

Your body produces dopamine, seratonin and oxytocin naturally. You need them to regulate sleep, process emotions and I think to store memories. Without these chemical compounds, your brain would not function.

I don't know what you are talking about.

What I am saying is the dopamine produced by our body has a different genetic composition than that produced by a lab.

Just like probiotics, the ones our body produce has our DNA in them so they stay with our body the ones you buy die after a few days because they do not have the our DNA.

The love produced by our body lasts a lifetime while the love produced in a lab wears off after a very short time.
maxdancona

Fri 31 Dec, 2021 12:41 pm
@TheCobbler,
That is scientifically incorrect on many levels

1. Dopamine is a chemical compound. The phrase "genetic composition" makes no sense (since dopamine is not a gene).

2. Dopamine is a chemical compound. Laboratory produced dopamine is exactly the same as naturally occurring dopamine by definition.

3. Dopamine is not life long. This chemical is fairly short lived . Your body continually produces it.

4. Love usually does not last a lifetime. This is a practical observation, not a chemical analysis.

You are making up stuff based on how you want the world to be. That isn't how science works.
TheCobbler

Sat 1 Jan, 2022 06:13 am
@maxdancona,
Well you have love all figured out, now go buy some, it might help your disposition.
maxdancona

Sat 1 Jan, 2022 08:57 am
@TheCobbler,
If you start a thread about the difference between science and pseudoscience you can't complain when someone posts about correct science.

In science there are correct answers. They are found by studying real brains and analyzing actual chemical compounds.
izzythepush

Sat 1 Jan, 2022 10:25 am
@TheCobbler,
Max has a problem with language, at first I thought he was deliberately misinterpreting what posters said, but it happens so often I think he has genuine problems with comprehension.

As such it's best to take everything he says with a rather large pinch of salt.
maxdancona

Sat 1 Jan, 2022 11:21 am
@izzythepush,
Hi Izzy..you are going to be my stalker again?

0 Replies