Rough going for Repubs

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 09:43 am
Is it just me, or has this been a hell of a bad year for Republicans?

Let's see what kind of trouble they've had this year:

The whole Plame scandal
Randy 'Duke' Cunningham's acceptance of Bribes
Tom DeLay
No Bolton Confirmation (turns out he's a liar, who would have thought?)
Ohio Coingate Scandal
Kentucy fraud
California Ahnold supplement scandal
Oh yeah, Iraq
Texas GOP meltdown
Terri Schiavo
AG and Guantanamo torture and abuse

That's scandals on the national level, big ones;

Mistakes on the national level, big ones;

Scandals on the State level;

And the huge scandal of Iraq and the WoT that the public isn't buying the way they used to.

Public support for the admin. has dropped considerably during this time. Public support for the War has dropped considerably during this time.

The nomination of Roberts is a victory for the Dems in as of itself. There is no reason why a Republican-dominated Exec. branch, Legislative branch, and state-level dominance shouldn't be able to nominate the Rightest Rightie there ever was. But they didn't.

Take heart, Dems and Lefties! Things had to get worse before they could get better.

Cheers

Cycloptichorn

ps what have I forgotten?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 822 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Child of the Light

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 03:52 pm
Reelection of a really really republican president..Hasn't been that bad. In fact, I don't forsee a democrat winning the presidential election anytime soon.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 04:05 pm
Who do they even have?

The Unions are busted. Dean is a joke.

They've got nothin and nobody.

Republicans control the WH, the Senate, the House,....and the SC...<hee>

The Dems are OVER.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 04:22 pm
I say we are in need of a new Alexander Hamilton. A new big government advocate. That would fix our country. We have such selfishness in our country, we have such apathy in our country. What we need is a united country under one government, and The Federalist can do that.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 04:36 pm
Re: Rough going for Repubs
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Is it just me, or has this been a hell of a bad year for Republicans?

Let's see what kind of trouble they've had this year:

Wrong. Only in your own minds.

For the most part, we do not think these things are scandals, e.g. there are very real abuses at Abu Ghraib, but not worse than past wars and not as bad as the enemy's prisoner abuse.

You just keep repeating to each other how hideous each new manufactured expose is, but we don't share your view. When Clinton was president, a Republican could hail a revelation that he went through the 10 items or less line at the supermarket with 11 items as a stunning indictment of conservative politics in America, but that hardly makes it so. Our candidates win elections and yours lose. Now that's significant.

The only sense in which you are correct is that if you guys throw enough mud, some if it actually will stick, even if it's nonsense, and some very impressionable people will believe you, even if it's nonsense.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 04:37 pm
Child of the Light wrote:
I say we are in need of a new Alexander Hamilton. A new big government advocate. That would fix our country. We have such selfishness in our country, we have such apathy in our country. What we need is a united country under one government, and The Federalist can do that.

I agree with you 95%. The 5% is that Hamilton wasn't much of a uniter and his advocacy of big government was only justifed because it was in the time of the pathetically weak Confederation, or in contrast to the anti-Federalist ideas of Jefferson and Madison, but we certainly could benefit from the like of a Hamilton, Washington, Franklin, Jay, etc. today.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 04:44 pm
Hell, it's not like we have a uniter now.

Child, I agree that re-electing Bush is a giant boon for the Republicans; but that was last year.

Brandon,
Quote:
For the most part, we do not think these things are scandals, e.g. there are very real abuses at Abu Ghraib, but not worse than past wars and not as bad as the enemy's prisoner abuse.

What, you don't think Randy Duke is a real scandal?

You don't think Bolton's inability to get confirmed represents a failure?

You don't think the involvement with Terri Schiavo was a mistake? Seriously?

You don't think the Ohio Coingate scandal is going to hurt the GOP in Ohio? Same with Kentucky? How about the dissent in the Texas GOP?

Do you even know what is going on in your own party these days?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 04:53 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:

I agree with you 95%. The 5% is that Hamilton wasn't much of a uniter and his advocacy of big government was only justifed because it was in the time of the pathetically weak Confederation, or in contrast to the anti-Federalist ideas of Jefferson and Madison, but we certainly could benefit from the like of a Hamilton, Washington, Franklin, Jay, etc. today.

I agree on Hamilton not being much of a uniter, but I'd argue that Madison wasn't an Anti-Federalist. He wrote many of the Federalist Papers. Ambition must be countered with Ambition and such. But big government could still be a positive tool in present day America. Big government would end up alienating a sector of people(libertarians) but in would be a definite overall good.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 04:54 pm
Who's Randy Duke?

<I must be out of the loop>

Coingate...?

C'Mon. You're making this up.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 04:54 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Hell, it's not like we have a uniter now.

Child, I agree that re-electing Bush is a giant boon for the Republicans; but that was last year.

Brandon,
Quote:

What, you don't think Randy Duke is a real scandal?

You don't think Bolton's inability to get confirmed represents a failure?

You don't think the involvement with Terri Schiavo was a mistake? Seriously?

You don't think the Ohio Coingate scandal is going to hurt the GOP in Ohio? Same with Kentucky? How about the dissent in the Texas GOP?

Do you even know what is going on in your own party these days?

Cycloptichorn

Every few weeks you folks trumpet a new fake scandal from the front pages of your liberal newspapers, from the Bush National Guard story to the war in Iraq. You tell yourselves this stuff so often that eventually you begin to believe it. It's about as real as when Republicans shrieked with glee about Whitewater, Travelgate, Filegate, etc., or the basically manufactured and insignificant Lewinsky scandal. The only thing real about your periodic Republican scandals is the volume of your voices when you crow about them. Take the Bush National Guard "scandal." He's still honorably discharged and you have no proof that would convince anyone who wasn't a Bush-hater to begin with. Stop believing your own propaganda.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 04:57 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:

I agree on Hamilton not being much of a uniter, but I'd argue that Madison wasn't an Anti-Federalist. He wrote many of the Federalist Papers. Ambition must be countered with Ambition and such. But big government could still be a positive tool in present day America. Big government would end up alienating a sector of people(libertarians) but in would be a definite overall good.

I find your ideas very interesting, but I have to correct one thing. Madison wasn't an anti-Federalist when he wrote his portion of "The Federalist Papers," but he was by early in Washington's administration and became a close ally of Jefferson and bitter enemy of Hamilton. I wouldn't mind seeing more Founding Fathers threads in the History or Politics areas.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 05:09 pm
Though Hamilton had many enemies such as Jefferson, Madison(which I was unaware of until now) and Burr and such. They all recognized his genius. And Hamilton wasn't completely pigheaded, he recognized Jefferson's genius and persauded The Feds to elect him President in 1800. This further goes to show what we need in present day politics. We need leaders with genius, conviction, but the ability to concede defeat from time to time.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 05:14 pm
Though Hamilton had many enemies such as Jefferson, Madison(which I was unaware of until now) and Burr and such. They all recognized his genius. And Hamilton wasn't completely pigheaded, he recognized Jefferson's genius and persauded The Feds to elect him President in 1800. This further goes to show what we need in present day politics. We need leaders with genius, conviction, but the ability to concede defeat from time to time.

<HIDEOUSLY OFF TOPIC>
Hamilton was a very unusual genius, not the least aspect of which was the huge volumes of work he could produce rapidly. Actually, his support of Jefferson as a presidential candidate was, I think, partially due to his hatred of Burr. His problem was that he was so smart that he often lost patience when others couldn't see things that were blindingly obvious to him. Of course, I'm much the same way myself.
</HIDEOUSLY OFF TOPIC>
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 05:20 pm
Hamilton is up up and away my favorite founding father. I love the fact that his party had an incumbent president running for reelection and he runs anyway and splits the Federalist vote. He was an amazing man.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 05:20 pm
oops
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 05:21 pm
oops
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 05:40 pm
Lash wrote:
Who do they even have?

The Dems are OVER.

Hillary? Wink

I tell you who I would vote for.

I would vote for Obama in 6 years... and McCain next election. I like that dude.

TF
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 05:45 pm
I want a McCain/Lott ticket..that would win it, that sure would win it.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 06:28 pm
thethinkfactory wrote:
Lash wrote:
Who do they even have?

The Dems are OVER.

Hillary? Wink

I tell you who I would vote for.

I would vote for Obama in 6 years....
TF

I am pretty sure that he is just Osama with a little make-up but doesn't have the guts to admit it.
0 Replies